[Inquiry] Purchasing juvenile/mature tarantulas vs. slings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf2189

Arachnopeon
I'm pretty sure we can't mention specific breeders/sellers here, so I'm not looking for recommendations, but...

Where do you buy juvenile or mature spiders? i.e. online, expos, pet stores, classifieds, etc.

I had originally wanted to buy a mature B. hamorii because I felt like I would be more comfortable my first time around with a large spider than a tiny, skittish sling. I ended up buying a sling because it was the easiest to purchase and the adults I was finding were kind of on the expensive side. No regrets - slings are definitely not as intimidating as I thought they would be!

But for future reference, where do you buy larger tarantulas and what's a typical price range on adult T's? (Obviously this varies by species, but maybe you can give me an idea for NW vs. OW or common species vs. more difficult ones to find?)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Where do you buy juvenile or mature spiders?

i.e. online, expos, pet stores, classifieds, etc.

All of the places you mentioned :p

what's a typical price range on adult T's?
This depends on many factors, but not just species. It also depends on where you are from, difficulty to breed, availability, and if the seller is feeling quite generous or not.

moonstarfc

Arachnopeon
I've bought only juvies so far... I think you have to watch ads/dealer websites because they don't get posted for sale as readily as the slings do. And sexed females are especially popular. Both of mine have come from dealer websites but I'm planning to get some off AB members here as well.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Mostly classifieds here and craigslist/facebook. Expos too. The Bigname websites like swifts and netbug have really good reputations too, but tend to have higher prices if you are just ordering 1 at a time but they tend to have a better selection if you are looking for a variety without paying a bunch of separate shipping charges.

Not sure how reliable it is, but i feel like Adult females tend to sell for about 6-10 times the cost of an unsexed sling and a Juvenile female would be about 3-4 times. No actual study done or anything just kinda loose generalization i think i have noticed.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Online, classifieds on FB and AB, and expos for me. I personally prefer to raise a tarantula from sling to adult because it’s satisfying and very fulfilling. Also, adult females are expensive. If it was a molt-sexed female but only half-grown, i would consider purchasing it if it’s a species i’m dying to add to my collection. :)

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I avoid Juv's like the plague unless the seller has sexed them and is trusted.
All 6 of of my Juv's I bought as unsexed are male.

I prefer to raise slings personally, a lot of slow growing slings but it is amazing to watch them grow.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight

I prefer to raise slings personally, a lot of slow growing slings but it is amazing to watch them grow.
Amen. Never will I buy anything large enough to be sexed that hasn’t been. If I want to risk getting a male, then I will pay sling prices.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire

At what size is a T a juvie? IsIky assumption correct? - If mature length is 5", would a juvie be between 2 1/2" - 4"?

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Classifieds here on the forum dhould always be the first option regardless of size. Prices are usually lower than the big name sellers with a fancy website.

Zevil

Arachnosquire
I believe when a tarantula shows adult coloration, it is considered a juvenile. I have bought a GBB which was unsexed, turns out to be a female. But I don't recommend buying unsex juveniles in general.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm pretty sure we can't mention specific breeders/sellers here, so I'm not looking for recommendations, but...

Where do you buy juvenile or mature spiders? i.e. online, expos, pet stores, classifieds, etc.

I had originally wanted to buy a mature B. hamorii because I felt like I would be more comfortable my first time around with a large spider than a tiny, skittish sling. I ended up buying a sling because it was the easiest to purchase and the adults I was finding were kind of on the expensive side. No regrets - slings are definitely not as intimidating as I thought they would be!

But for future reference, where do you buy larger tarantulas and what's a typical price range on adult T's? (Obviously this varies by species, but maybe you can give me an idea for NW vs. OW or common species vs. more difficult ones to find?)
First, you CAN mention sellers, you just cannot link to them as this would be considered advertising.

Now, for best selection, it's hard to beat the larger dealers. For best price, it's always going to be buying directly from breeders. Both can be found in groves in our classified section...on top of that, every seller here on a bus REQUIRED to have corresponding review page....sellers have no editorial control of these reviews that come directly from users here, so you can shop with confidence....there are really too many great sellers to even begin listing sellers.

Pricing is dependent on species...there is no common ground when it comes to pricing....the more sellers you browse though, the better idea of species availability and cost you will have.....only by keeping up on a multitude of sellers will you be able to know a good deal from a not so good one.

At what size is a T a juvie? IsIky assumption correct? - If mature length is 5", would a juvie be between 2 1/2" - 4"?
Slings don't have adult colors....when they get adult colors they are juveniles....when they mature they are then adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.