Purchasing from a pet owner rehoming?

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
So, there's a local pet owner rehoming their tarantulas which they say are two females and a male, but, they're using common names and they bought at a pet store, so thinking that information may not be accurate.

It looks like a B. emilia, B. hamorii and P. sazimai.

I don't have any females right now, so if they are all mature males I'll have to just immediately hunt down places for them to go so they don't go to waste.

They have a price on them and I don't want to lowball them exactly, but, if they end up being all males, what's a fair price? I'm in Florida if that makes a difference.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"rehoming", they aren't rehoming crap, they are selling tarantulas. I'm sick of that term rehoming when their is a price attached.

Males are often half of females or less.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
They are trying to sell probably. Also, tarantulas are illegal in Florida so you and the seller or person “rehoming” have to have proper permits. I would check if it’s male or female before buying to.

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
"rehoming", they aren't rehoming crap, they are selling tarantulas. I'm sick of that term rehoming when their is a price attached.

They want $200 total for two supposed females, a B. emilia and a P. sazimai and a male B hamorii that are all at least 4".

I don't mind if they call it rehoming when they just had a couple and decided it wasn't the pet for them. I'm picking up a tarantula this weekend from someone who has had it a year, only bought one, decided they don't want to have tarantulas and they are selling it to me for the price they paid for a spiderling but now it's 3".

There is a discernible difference. A seller is usually trying to make a buck, both of these people are just trying to get some money back but mostly they just want to get rid of the tarantula. The tarantula comes with the enclosure and stuff. They have names. They aren't just spider 124 in bin 24 in the back of the tarantula warehouse.

They are trying to sell probably. Also, tarantulas are illegal in Florida so you and the seller or person “rehoming” have to have proper permits. I would check if it’s male or female before buying to.
You can buy them in every pet store- so I call shenanigans.. lol
Petco has them, all the mom and pop's have them. Nobody asked for my license.

If I go to buy a fox or monkey or something I have to show a license, none of the pet stores are asking for a license for tarantulas.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Can't you ask for some pictures first? This way you can confirm if they are in fact MM.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Can't you ask for some pictures first? This way you can confirm if they are in fact MM.
Agreed this is what I always do and also just did with someone and asked if they had a molt to sex, it molted a few days later and I got to confirm as a female but at an unsexed price.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I just ask the keeper what they want for them. They usually know. Also, don't bother without photos.

Sometimes these listings are a great deal when they don't know what they have, and sometimes they are not.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
From what I understand, they would technically have to use the term rehousing as selling live animals on CL might not be allowed (not 100% sure though).
In addition, even if someone wanted to give it for free, they should charge some fee to avoid people taking them in as feeders.
It's common in the fish hobby, if someone sees free fish, they think, free FEEDERS for my predator fish! Rehousing fee curbs that a bit.

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
The pics were very poor quality unfortunately, it looks like they have a cheap phone. I know the pain, I also have a cheap phone that takes really bad photos.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
From what I understand, they would technically have to use the term rehousing as selling live animals on CL might not be allowed (not 100% sure though).
In addition, even if someone wanted to give it for free, they should charge some fee to avoid people taking them in as feeders.
It's common in the fish hobby, if someone sees free fish, they think, free FEEDERS for my predator fish! Rehousing fee curbs that a bit.
This. All of it.
Same goes for rodents (snake food), cats (used to bait fighting dogs) and anything that resembles a pit bull (for obvious reasons).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They want $200 total for two supposed females, a B. emilia and a P. sazimai and a male B hamorii that are all at least 4".

I don't mind if they call it rehoming when they just had a couple and decided it wasn't the pet for them. I'm picking up a tarantula this weekend from someone who has had it a year, only bought one, decided they don't want to have tarantulas and they are selling it to me for the price they paid for a spiderling but now it's 3".

There is a discernible difference. A seller is usually trying to make a buck, both of these people are just trying to get some money back but mostly they just want to get rid of the tarantula. The tarantula comes with the enclosure and stuff. They have names. They aren't just spider 124 in bin 24 in the back of the tarantula warehouse.
If you’re paying - they are selling hah

Too much money for Ts that aren’t confirmed

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Also, tarantulas are illegal in Florida so you and the seller or person “rehoming” have to have proper permits.
Could you link or cite the relevant statute? The only citation I've found is Florida 581.083, which doesn't cover tarantulas.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Just look up if tarantulas are legal in Florida. The Florida website says they aren’t legal because T vagans is invasive there. It’s mostly explained through other websites though. I’m not sure exactly which law but people working with the state and other sites say it’s illegal.

neens

Arachnopeon
Just look up if tarantulas are legal in Florida. The Florida website says they aren’t legal because T vagans is invasive there. It’s mostly explained through other websites though. I’m not sure exactly which law but people working with the state and other sites say it’s illegal.
I myself am from Florida although I don't live there anymore. I've seen tarantulas being sold in plenty of pet stores. On the FL dept of agriculture and customer services site (which is what I assume you're referring to) it says:
"Anyone who imports exotic organisms (for example, insects, spiders, scorpions, noxious weeds, plant pathogens, and nematodes) into Florida from any other state or country, or who moves such exotic organisms within the state for any purpose. This especially applies to anyone engaged in wholesale import or sale, or otherwise serving as a broker to any business in the retail pet or bait trade."

I could not find anything official saying owning a tarantula is outright illegal without a permit but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm curious as to what others think. There's also an old thread I found discussing this topic.

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
So, department of agriculture in Florida basically overstepped, they were supposed to be just regulating agriculturally significant insects. FWS and so on decided to basically not enforce it from the looks of it.
Great article on it here:
The Florida Entomologist
Vol. 78, No. 1 (Mar., 1995), pp. 39-44 (6 pages)

To get a permit, you have to send in a male and female of whatever species you want to keep. You don't get them back because they are 'studied' which I assume means dissected and so on. The permit may or may not be granted.

I don't really feel like sending a breeding pair off for dissection.

Last edited:

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
I myself am from Florida although I don't live there anymore. I've seen tarantulas being sold in plenty of pet stores. On the FL dept of agriculture and customer services site (which is what I assume you're referring to) it says:
"Anyone who imports exotic organisms (for example, insects, spiders, scorpions, noxious weeds, plant pathogens, and nematodes) into Florida from any other state or country, or who moves such exotic organisms within the state for any purpose. This especially applies to anyone engaged in wholesale import or sale, or otherwise serving as a broker to any business in the retail pet or bait trade."

I could not find anything official saying owning a tarantula is outright illegal without a permit but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm curious as to what others think. There's also an old thread I found discussing this topic.
Thank you. That page is here:

A linked list of guidelines for permitting, including relevant taxa, is here:

Tarantulas are not illegal in Florida, according to these sources. Their importation and in-state transport require a permit that is automatically granted upon application and carries a nominal fee.

Whether or not a particular hobbyist or business will be 'hassled' is less important than whether the members of an often vilified community take pains to prove that they are acting responsibly. If permits for possession are required, hobbyists should get those permits. When many people violate laws, typically (and especially in states with the sort of political culture found in Florida) those laws are strengthened, usually to detriment of everyone.

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
Thank you. That page is here:

A linked list of guidelines for permitting, including relevant taxa, is here:

Tarantulas are not illegal in Florida, according to these sources. Their importation and in-state transport require a permit that is automatically granted upon application and carries a nominal fee.

Whether or not a particular hobbyist or business will be 'hassled' is less important than whether the members of an often vilified community take pains to prove that they are acting responsibly. If permits for possession are required, hobbyists should get those permits. When many people violate laws, typically (and especially in states with the sort of political culture found in Florida) those laws are strengthened, usually to detriment of everyone.
The permit is not automatically granted. They are only approved for species deemed desert species and what is deemed a desert species is arbitrarily at the discretion of the ag department. You have to submit a male and female pair that you relinquish to the ag department for them to study.

I just cannot afford to buy a male and a female of a species I plan to keep and then send them in to get dissected in hopes of getting a permit that they will or won't grant.

I posted some information in my last post that included an article about how the permitting system actually works.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
I sent this query to FDACS (DPI-Permits@fdacs.gov):

"Hello,

If I want to purchase and keep a small number of pet tarantulas in Florida, purchased in Florida, do I need to apply for a permit?

If I purchase them from out of state (shipped from another state), do I need to apply for a permit?

If I do need to apply for a permit for either of these cases, do I have to submit voucher specimens?

If I do not need a permit for a small number of tarantulas, is there a possession limit?

Thank you"

And received this response today:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

For any out of state shipments of exotic/non-native spiders, a permit is needed (see blank application attached). If the spider is shipped from within FL and is a native or naturalized species a permit is likely unnecessary.

Please review the guidelines for regulated organisms here with species specific information:
https://www.fdacs.gov/content/download/10229/file/Guideline-for-Importing-Exotic-and-Non.pdf

Voucher specimens are not required for specimens kept as pets, however we may request photo ID for confirmation depending on the species as well as a written description of containment methods.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
The Permit Unit

Division of Plant Industry
PO Box 147100
Gainesville FL 32614

www.FDACS.gov

Helpline Phone Number: 1-888-397-1517"

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
I sent this query to FDACS (DPI-Permits@fdacs.gov):

"Hello,

If I want to purchase and keep a small number of pet tarantulas in Florida, purchased in Florida, do I need to apply for a permit?

If I purchase them from out of state (shipped from another state), do I need to apply for a permit?

If I do need to apply for a permit for either of these cases, do I have to submit voucher specimens?

If I do not need a permit for a small number of tarantulas, is there a possession limit?

Thank you"

And received this response today:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

For any out of state shipments of exotic/non-native spiders, a permit is needed (see blank application attached). If the spider is shipped from within FL and is a native or naturalized species a permit is likely unnecessary.

Please review the guidelines for regulated organisms here with species specific information:
https://www.fdacs.gov/content/download/10229/file/Guideline-for-Importing-Exotic-and-Non.pdf

Voucher specimens are not required for specimens kept as pets, however we may request photo ID for confirmation depending on the species as well as a written description of containment methods.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
The Permit Unit

Division of Plant Industry
PO Box 147100
Gainesville FL 32614

www.FDACS.gov

Helpline Phone Number: 1-888-397-1517"
So, you need a permit to keep everything but a native spider. Fun stuff. Of course, you also need a permit to collect native invertebrates- but, you get that from Florida FWS.

Eh, not that I particularly care, I'm not going to be in Florida much longer anyways. I don't think I'll bother with a permit for the last few months I'll be living here. They probably won't even have the permit sent back to me by the time I move.

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight

Around here I always see "rehoming" with a fee....

Last edited by a moderator: