purchasing an emperor scorpion

tomas newman

Arachnopeon
i've done some research and i keep on getting different answers on the size of the enclosure for it. should i purchase a 10 gallon tank or a Exo Terra Faunariums. any additional advice/care would be much appreciated thanks so much!!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
10g is overkill. a large faunarium should do the trick. be sure to add lots of substrate, and itd be a good idea to restrict half the ventilation so you dont have to pour water in and fill up the dish as often.

be warned, most of there so called P imperator are mislabeled and are other species. pet stores know practically nothing.

tomas newman

Arachnopeon
10g is overkill. a large faunarium should do the trick. be sure to add lots of substrate, and itd be a good idea to restrict half the ventilation so you dont have to pour water in and fill up the dish as often.

be warned, most of there so called P imperator are mislabeled and are other species. pet stores know practically nothing.
i'm purchasing it from petco... lol

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
A 5 gallon tank is a good size for a single p.imperator. as venom said they are often mislabeled. Get a good picture of a P.imperator to compare with. My first scorpion was a mislabeled P.imperator and turned out to be a P. Dictator. As for care there are tons of great detailed care sheets with all of the info you need on the forum. Good luck on your purchase!

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
what's the best substrate?!
Coco fiber is generally the go to for substrate due to how it holds in moisture. There are other alternatives but I've never really read much on it. If you plan on using any kind of soil it has to be free of any kind of additive or fertilizer.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
You need a source of heat, such as a heating pad. You want to keep one side of the enclosure between 80-85 degrees, and the other side a bit cooler so there's a temperature gradiant.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
You need a source of heat, such as a heating pad. You want to keep one side of the enclosure between 80-85 degrees, and the other side a bit cooler so there's a temperature gradiant.
No, no, nononononononono. Heat pads are only good if you enjoy steamed scorpion. Room temperature is fine, between 70-80.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Like most species, don't expect to see it out and about during the day. You'll usually be able to see them during the night. They can be finicky eaters so don't fret too much. Definitely do your research to make sure you're getting a legit P. imperator. Most times pet stores label them as "emperors" and they're some sort of Heterometrus sp. Sphagnum moss works well to keeping a bit of humidity,also makes the enclosure look nice (I'm all for a nicely decorated tank for my pet holes lol). I've noticed a pattern with my scorps though, they don't use their water dishes, but enjoy (for the most part) the spray bottle on a mist setting and the water hitting their mouth parts (actually pretty cool to watch then drink.....and funny watching them attack and sting the air)

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
No, no, nononononononono. Heat pads are only good if you enjoy steamed scorpion. Room temperature is fine, between 70-80.
If you put the heat pad under the tank maybe. But no you will not steam your scorpion, the colder you let the tank get the less active, and less hungry your scorpion will be. A heat gradiant let's your scorpion move from hot to cold to adjust it's body temperature... I'm not saying you can't leave them at room temperature. Everyone's methods of keeping differ, this just happens to be mine :)

Last edited:

tomas newman

Arachnopeon
haven't got him food yet figured he wouldn't eat for acouple of days read stuff online they gotta get adjusted first here's some more pics not the best sorry if you need better pics let me know

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
If it wants to warm up it'll go sit near the heat pad. How many inches of substrate do you have

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I thought the same thing. When I first purchased the heat pad after a while it warms up and my AFS uses it more than I thought he would. At night he hugs up against it