Puppy/Dog food?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I want to switch my dogs food.. I have been usinh Purina for my Chihuahua all his life..

But I have recently learned its not really good for him..

I have been told Orijin is the best.. I can find any in local petstores and don't want to order any offline.. So.. What is the next best thing? Something I might find at Petco or Petsmart?

Thanks in advance!

DansDragons

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Merrick, or Wellness is pretty good. i mix Merrick wet(can) and Wellness dry for my Chi's, they have been growing well and keeping good weight.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as processed kibble is concerned "Wysong" offers the best value for the money spent!

Wade

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I use Orijen, but it's not at Petco or Petsmart. I'd try Wellness. I know one of the two stores at least is now carrying it.

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
chicken soup for the soul for dogs is a decent dog food and cheaper than higer priced ones. Don't know where they sell it at in your town though

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Redneck, check out this site:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

I try to stick with stuff in the 5 or 4 star categories. Might help open up your options :) Plus it's good to learn how to read the ingredients & why they are bad.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I always thought that Petco didn't have quality dog foods.. until my good friend started feeding Blue Buffalo, and buys it at Petco! It's an amazing kibble.. expensive, but good quality. It's on the 5 star list.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
tommy, i've worked with a lot of these companies reps for years selling top-notch dog food, and most of that link niki posted is really good stuff. my personal opinion of wellness is that it is okay, but you could get a better or same quality food for less of the price without some of the extra stuff in it cheapening it (millet). not familiar with their simple solutions line but wellness core is excellent food, especially for larger dogs wih grain allergies.

i've been a big fan of natura products (karma, evo, innova, california natural, healthwise) since being introduced to them, and so far the P&G buyout hasn't hurt the food itself, if anything it is more fairly priced, but i am keeping my eyes peeled for changes. repackaging is usually a sign the food has changed, sometimes even in really sneaky ways! merrick is also very good, USA based food. they have always been really helpful with any questions or concerns we've had, from inconsistancies in lots occasionally to helping recompensate slightly miffed buyers.

if you can afford it, i'd go with either merrick or innova, if not drop me a pm and i'll give you some more reccomendations :)

BioTeach

Arachnopeon
Instinct (grainless) or Prairie by Nature's Variety are great foods with multiple varieties for cycling.

Pssh

Arachnoknight
Look at the ingredient list. If real meat is one of the first three ingredients (and preferably another real meat is in the first five ingredients) and no wheat or corn is in the first five ingredients, it's usually a decent dog food. The ones with no grains, wheat, and/or beef are recommended. I have a dog with food allergies and she goes crazy and itches EVERYWHERE if we feed her anything with beef, grains, or wheat in it. She only gets the good stuff.

Kirkland brand (costco) dog food is pretty decent and affordable. Using a quality canned food with it makes it even better!