Pumpkin Patch Sling/Juvie not eating

xmasol

Arachnopeon
I received a 1 inch Pumpkin Patch (Large) about a month ago. Ate a small meal worm on the first day and refuses to eat. It dosen't look like it's in premolt and really showing no signs of interest in any food. How long will slings actually go without eating? Seeing as this is supposed to be a fast growing species, I was certain that they would eat more frequently. I'm fairly new to the hobby and this is my first sling along with my Curly Hair.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
A piece of mealworm would be like a side of beef to me and you. The vast, vast majority of slings do not starve to death.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I received a 1 inch Pumpkin Patch (Large) about a month ago. Ate a small meal worm on the first day and refuses to eat. It dosen't look like it's in premolt and really showing no signs of interest in any food. How long will slings actually go without eating? Seeing as this is supposed to be a fast growing species, I was certain that they would eat more frequently. I'm fairly new to the hobby and this is my first sling along with my Curly Hair.
At an inch in size this is not a sling anymore bit more of a juvenile/ subadult of this species.

Almost all tarantulas will go thru a fast period every now and again. It's normal.

xmasol

Arachnopeon
Can you post a pic of the enclosure and sling?
I would but it's just a temp container until it molts out for a critter carrier. Just a little rubbermaid tub with holes for ventilation on the sides and lid
At an inch in size this is not a sling anymore bit more of a juvenile/ subadult of this species.

Almost all tarantulas will go thru a fast period every now and again. It's normal.
Yeah, I still don't understand the whole sling to Juvie thing lol... I guess it just depends on what size the T will be.
It probably is just not hungry.
Post a picture of the T and enclosure so it's easier to assess.
563FA376-C8FD-4533-AD94-0374B132C88A.jpeg

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Can you post a picture of the tarantula as well? The ventilation holes look quite large, could be a chance that the tarantula could get out through them but it's hard to say without seeing the tarantula as well.
The rest of the setup looks ok to me. I always made my ventilation holes from the inside of the container to the outside that way there weren't points sticking into the container

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can be months. This species, having raised many myself, is very assertive in eating. Whenever mine don't eat, they are full or in pre-molt.

xmasol

Arachnopeon
Can you post a picture of the tarantula as well? The ventilation holes look quite large, could be a chance that the tarantula could get out through them but it's hard to say without seeing the tarantula as well.
The rest of the setup looks ok to me. I always made my ventilation holes from the inside of the container to the outside that way there weren't points sticking into the container
Yeah my wife changed the drill bit when I wasn’t looking lol... and I kind of thought of drilling it from the inside after the matter. I was nervous it could fit through holes as well so I watched it try to go out a few of them but, it did not get past its carapace.

Yeah my wife changed the drill bit when I wasn’t looking lol... and I kind of thought of drilling it from the inside after the matter. I was nervous it could fit through holes as well so I watched it try to go out a few of them but, it did not get past its carapace.
Hi
If they can get their carapace though they will eventually find their way out.I will rehouse it in sth with smaller holes if I were you.
Regards Konstantin

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
still sounds like the holes are too big to me.
That means whenever the T decides to escape, it will.
Tarantula abdomen is surprisingly pliable.
Agreed.

fatalgecko

Arachnopeon
Yeah my wife changed the drill bit when I wasn’t looking lol... and I kind of thought of drilling it from the inside
You can also get a cheap wood burner with pointy tip and use that to make the holes. They will be cleaner and won’t leave the bits that drills do. And it’s faster

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
You can also get a cheap wood burner with pointy tip and use that to make the holes. They will be cleaner and won’t leave the bits that drills do. And it’s faster
I prefer a soldering iron, but a cheap wood burner with pointy tip is my is ususally my second choice

Try this: don't overfeed your tarantula; it will actually live longer.

If it's abdomen is plump, skip a meal. If it refuses to acknowledge food wander around, mark pre-molt. Bald abdomen, mark pre-molt.

When the T is hungry you will know. How? So many ways...
Feet sticking out of its burrow, it's hungry.
T at the edge of its webbing, it's hungry.
Drip a drop of water 1" from the sling, if it lunges towards the ground where the drop hit, it's hungry.

Your tarantula will train you when to feed it if you learn to look for the signs.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... If it's abdomen is plump, skip a meal
... Feet sticking out of its burrow, it's hungry.
T at the edge of its webbing, it's hungry.
Drip a drop of water 1" from the sling, if it lunges towards the ground where the drop hit, it's hungry.
Your tips are very helpful, except when it comes to the BIG 3 (A. geniculata, L. parahybana, T. blondi).
They are always hungry. My genic ate the day before she moulted. Premoult? What premoult?
The belly check is the only clue you would have on whether to slow down on the feeding with these 3.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
Your tips are very helpful, except when it comes to the BIG 3 (A. geniculata, L. parahybana, T. blondi).
They are always hungry. My genic ate the day before she moulted. Premoult? What premoult?
The belly check is the only clue you would have on whether to slow down on the feeding with these 3.
My LP, which is a tiny blip smaller than a match head atm, has skipped meals before a molt, but not for long lol

I don't keep the other two sp, but I have encountered my juvie A. avic to kill a feeder while in premolt and not eat it - guess it was annoying her lol

I had an avic sling eat a day or two before molting so I get that, too

The 80/20 rule applies and until you know which side of the line your T is on, opt for 80

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
80% of tarantulas won't eat in premolt but 20% (not actual percentages, but a common saying) will eat up until the day before they molt

Most do the same, some do not. Depends on the individual, circumstances, etc.