Pump up your feeders with whey protein powder?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I was housing some crickets from my stock to gut load while having some optimum nutrition whey protein. I got to thinking. What if i fed it to my feeders?

I have heard of people giving there feeders powdered milk. Is it possible to Pump up your Crickets with some whey protein?

Of course it would be low calcium 10%. Powdered milk has more. I could of course obtain some totally unflavored natural whey to feed them. Anyone else thought of this? All comments, questions and ideas welcome to debate! :D

-Doug

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heh, I thought about it many times...
Althought I never do it... Im not sure if any of the "funny" components these brands include in the protein would harm in any way our t's.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Heh, I thought about it many times...
Althought I never do it... Im not sure if any of the "funny" components these brands include in the protein would harm in any way our t's.
So that is how ou get those 11" Blondis LOL!! J/K :D

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My 14" blondi that passed away a few years ago used to be fed New York Strips. With an occasional ribeye.

PS: Just kidding. About the whole post!

Also, it probably wouldn't be advisable as it's not needed anyways. I think it would make a very interesting experiment though to have some Ts on and some Ts off! That'd be pretty cool if it yeilded larger sizes or something. They don't have much muscle though. Interesting.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
We still dont know what kind of "vitamins" you were puting in Zillas water bowl, Rob... {D
I used vitamin water,And creatine with a bit of winny to keep her lean LOL!!!

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think it should be added to their food...like fran said, you never know what they add to it.

Why not just feed them soy beans? lots of protien in that... along with their vegies, ect. Avacado too..

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I don't think it should be added to their food...like fran said, you never know what they add to it.

Why not just feed them soy beans? lots of protien in that... along with their vegies, ect. Avacado too..
Thats a good idea! Soy is a complete protein and not tampered with :) Has anyone fed their feeders soy beans? And maybe a pinch of Nitro-tech! LOL jk

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Might get some massive 'gas' from the feeders, so don't be surprised to hear farts all around... :p

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've just recently changed from standard dog/cat/monkey food for my B. lateralis colony to a grind mixture I found somewhere, sometime.

The basics are (not 100% of volumes)
- Unmediated Chicken Feed (Crumbles)
- Toasted Oat Rings (Cherrio's or use value brand)
- Flake Fish Food (High protein)
- Bee Pollen (Cheaper Wal-mart brand capsules, a few per grind)

I take the volumes and grind them up into as fine as I can get them and mix them all well in a large seal-able container and scoop out what I need. I've made up at least 2-3 big batches the past few months and refresh their feeder tray every other day or so and they seem to dig it. Lots of fresh egg cases and nymphs are doing well even as small as they are.

I think all in all it cost roughly 30$ for all the materials and that's a 50lb bag of the unmediated chicken feed for roughly $15 out of the $30.

Does well and healthy feeders and T's :D

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid,

Really I don't get why people do 'so much' in regards to feeding their roaches. I only have two cultures of roaches ATM, dubias and hissers. I do not give them water crystals. I do not grind their food. I do not make them 'special' chow.

What I do do is keep them warm and feed them mostly veggies and fruit left overs, and supplement with 'some' science diet dog food that I steal from my wiener. Nothing more. I feel like anything more than that is overkill. See my signature? I don't have any issues with breeding production either.

Cheers,

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been using whey protein for a long time with my lateralis. Just wanted them to have an option with plenty of protein, plus I have a TON of it left over from when I used to eat it myself in shakes.

This is what I typically have in there (each in separate containers):

1. Dry oatmeal
2. Whey protein powder and/or powdered milk
3. Catfood
4. Water crystals

And then the occasional vegetable craps (lettuce, etc.) I used to get more creative but these days I don't fuss much with feeders. I'm not sure it matters that much what they eat.

Haven't had any particular problem except if protein powder gets moist it gets gummy and can be kind of hard to clean.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid,

Really I don't get why people do 'so much' in regards to feeding their roaches. I only have two cultures of roaches ATM, dubias and hissers. I do not give them water crystals. I do not grind their food. I do not make them 'special' chow.

What I do do is keep them warm and feed them mostly veggies and fruit left overs, and supplement with 'some' science diet dog food that I steal from my wiener. Nothing more. I feel like anything more than that is overkill. See my signature? I don't have any issues with breeding production either.

Cheers,
Theres a lot of difference in size and weight on adult roaches, depending on whos roaches are.

I have gotten a huge diff between adults raised by diff people.

Not to go crazy, but I like my tarantulas to have the best in their feeders, it doesnt cost much to have them gutloaded properly.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Travis,

No disrespect in this posting as I have read nearly all your posts on this over the past year(s) and while I agree with you wholeheartedly I also find doing this and finding new adventures in what we can feed our T's and feeders so it's more something to do. While it does cost much more money than your proven methods I don't sweat it :)

Again, I completely agree with your methods for both feeding and watering and you have great success with them. Many kudos to you and yours but you know there will always be roach/feeder chow recipes and questions about them. I wish I had as much fresh produce as your able to give yours at anyone time but just for me it doesn't work out.

Props.. mad props..

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I wish I had as much fresh produce as your able to give yours at anyone time but just for me it doesn't work out.
Maybe it is do to me having a large family to feed and my in-laws having a decently large organic garden...

I can see going all crazy but I have to admit that it bothers me when people that are just starting to get into roaches get told to do things well above and beyond what is needed for a very healthy roach culture.

Regards,

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe it is do to me having a large family to feed and my in-laws having a decently large organic garden...

I can see going all crazy but I have to admit that it bothers me when people that are just starting to get into roaches get told to do things well above and beyond what is needed for a very healthy roach culture.

Regards,
No your right. Start small and K.I.S.S. theory, trust me I know it well :D

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just feed them a varied diet. Mine get basic cat/dog food plus whatever is left over vegges that are too good for the composter but older than I would like to eat.

Yesterday I gave my colony a bunch of carrots, 5 peaches, and dogfood... They have eatten pretty much ALL of the food I put in there already. Carrots are the best because they rarely mold up.

I would be interested in seeing if they would eat meat.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they do eat meat, but i wouldnt like to feed it because it will attract other meat decaying lovers - mites/flies etc..