Pump up your feeders with whey protein powder?

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I believe that maybe true because most Ts that are WC tend to be larger than CBs of the same sp.. Althought there are alot of factors. One large factor is oxygen supply..
Do you have data showing that CB are 'typically' smaller than WC?

Likewise, any data showing that WC have higher Oxygen levels than CB?

Not trying to sound snide, but I beleive you are making some assumptions.

Kind regards,

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How does anyone know for a fact that it is calcium that effects Taratulas? Could it be other things in the mouse that is doing this? Yes it COULD be. Noone has ever proven that the calcuim in the mouse has done this. Has anyone tested the calcuim theory? Such as putting calcium on your Ts crickets and such. I think it would be a risky experiment but it would give us some answers.
no, but idiots like to have "facts" they can parrot

if i end up with tons of baby tarantulas again i will try to feed some high Ca diets.

it's really funny cuz there are ppl who have literally only fed mice to their tarantulas for years with no problems and yet ppl still bring up the Ca thing when just about any symptom pops up.

it's really no wonder hobby advancement crawls. most ppl in the USA hobby don't even have the barest hint of scientific grounding. or logic, for that matter

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Edit cacoseraph beat me to saying it while I was trying to figure it all out.

Ok well someone explain to me how to set up the control and I can spare some Lats for an experiment with calcium. If I get some Irminia out of this girl I'll set one up if I can. That is a big if though I'm not seeing anything to indicate she is gravid yet other than refusal for food sealed in and still clear not dark under candling. I don't have anything else to breed for awhile and I don't have enough A Avic slings. Plus I want to start with 2I's before they get their first meal. I have to take extra calcium everyday anyway in pill form or I can buy some whey if you guys want to try that.

Someone just has to help me walk me threw how to do it so we can figure out if it can even be done. We run on ambient in the herp room with no heaters besides a small space heater in winter. Generally I only give fruits to the roaches but I can pull a few recent hatches out and start the roaches on that.

Roaches, 2 groups: 1 feed a normal diet one feed only calcium/whey mixed with water to make a paste from hatch to maturity.

How many slings need to be done? I really don't want to kill a bunch of them. Say 10 fed roaches from a normal diet and 10 fed calcium/whey only diet? Separated but placed into a 10 gallon so everyone is kept at the same temperature until they mature or die off whatever happens first?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Edit cacoseraph beat me to saying it while I was trying to figure it all out.

Ok well someone explain to me how to set up the control and I can spare some Lats for an experiment with calcium. If I get some Irminia out of this girl I'll set one up if I can. That is a big if though I'm not seeing anything to indicate she is gravid yet other than refusal for food sealed in and still clear not dark under candling. I don't have anything else to breed for awhile and I don't have enough A Avic slings. Plus I want to start with 2I's before they get their first meal. I have to take extra calcium everyday anyway in pill form or I can buy some whey if you guys want to try that.

Someone just has to help me walk me threw how to do it so we can figure out if it can even be done. We run on ambient in the herp room with no heaters besides a small space heater in winter. Generally I only give fruits to the roaches but I can pull a few recent hatches out and start the roaches on that.

Roaches, 2 groups: 1 feed a normal diet one feed only calcium/whey mixed with water to make a paste from hatch to maturity.

How many slings need to be done? I really don't want to kill a bunch of them. Say 10 fed roaches from a normal diet and 10 fed calcium/whey only diet? Separated but placed into a 10 gallon so everyone is kept at the same temperature until they mature or die off whatever happens first?
Feed them dry whey. Whey will rot with water and become the most smelliest thing on the planet. More so than sewage, Trust me ive left some shakers with residue. Even after washing them 5 times it smells like rotten guts. :barf: :D

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
for the experiment to even come close to having any meaning you would need several groups of spiders. a control group, and then a group for each variable you're trying to test. you would need a decent number of animals in each group, 1 or 2 in a group isn't enough to give you any sort of meaningful result. 10 per group would be a decent start and give you a better sample base to test your theory. you would need to start off with a base diet, the control group gets the base diet, nothing added. group 2 gets the base diet with a small amount of calcium added and group 3 (or 4 or 5 depending on how many groups you set up) gets a larger amount of calcium added. you would need to keep absolutely meticulous records, and you would have to figure out the calcium doses for the group. you would have to feed a set amount, by weight, to each group and keep this set amount constant throughout the experiement. I think this is a great idea, for someone else, just not for me. if anyone decides to go ahead with this experiment please keep us posted.