Pulling an eggsac

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am sure plenty of people are going to find this to be a stupid question, but, I tried searching the site and I am not taking the time to sift though all the results I found just to ask this:

Whats the best way to pull an eggsac? The T species in question is P. pederseni.

Should I just got in with tongs and uncover her and pull it out, or is there some way I should do this that is safer and less stressful on her?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The way I do it.. Take like a straw or prodding tool.. Kind of distract her so she is not biting the sac.. Then be quick & grab the sac before she has time to notice you grabbing it..

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alright thank you. :)

I was kind of worried about how she might react, and I didnt want to risk damaging it, or hurting her, or losing her.

Would it be a bad idea to try to entice her with a cockroach? or some other food item?

Cbarr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This was what i was going to suggest. I always try and feed them a roach first! Usually by 28-30 days they r more than ready to eat:)

C

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My G. rosea.. She was easy to take the sac from.. She sat it down & just walked away.. Many little slings came from this sac.. Took a cricket..

My A. hentzi.. She abandoned the sac.. Very easy to get.. Didnt take a cricket..

G. rosea #2... She was lazy when it came to building the sac & eggs & other juices were falling out of the sac.. Fought tooth & nail to get the egg sac from her... Wouldnt take roach.. Wanted to keep the egg sac..

A. avicularia.. Fought tooth & nail to remove sac.. Wouldnt take a roach..

Every time I used a little green plastic branch that comes with fake leaves.. Made the process so much easier.. But the ones that wanted to keep the sac still fought..

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I opened up her burrow, and she lifted up in a bit of a display. I just touched her front legs with some rubber coated tongs, and she started checking it, while I quickly grabbed the sac with another set of tongs. She took a nice big juicy roach to.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah many spiders aren't usually to keen about you stealing there babies hehe!
I've played tug-a war with a few females here.Its always sad when there looking for there sack once its gone.I let a lot of my spiders hatch with the females currently.Especially arboreal species.
-Chris