Pulled P.canceridies egg sac tonight

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tonight was a good night. Even getting the sac wasn't a struggle. My big girl was actually quite angry at my intrusion. But as I hoped, she rushed out all flared up and grabbed the bug I had to offer. Then I put a cup over her. Sweet ! Then I just gingerly took the sac. Took the cup off and put the lid on. I'm so glad I didn't have to fight for it. She doesn't hesitate to start slapping and biting anything that's in her realm. The sac is pretty darn perfect. All lively little 1st instars. Yay!!! Here are some pics. The reason for the spoon is I carefully roll the Ts out of the sac onto the spoon. Makes it easy and clean ( no dirt from the sac ) and I can transfer several at a time without damage. IMG_0323.JPG IMG_0327.JPG IMG_0325.JPG IMG_0332.JPG

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So many legs! Congrats :D Doesn't look like there's a bad one in the bunch.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Congratulations!
Well done on getting the sac from mommy without too much difficulty.
Great species. I like the tenacity and the size they attain.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congratulations!
Well done on getting the sac from mommy without too much difficulty.
Great species. I like the tenacity and the size they attain.
Thanks! I too really like this species. The size is great and the color changes along the way are pretty cool. And size, heck ya she's at least eight inches.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How long was the sac with the mom?

And what's the total count?

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How long was the sac with the mom?

And what's the total count?
@Olan the sac was with the mom for 50 days. She started out treating it rather rough. But then became quite the diligent mom. I didn't want to incubate eggs this time so I left it with her. The total count is 225. She did a fine job for her first sac.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Thanks! I too really like this species. The size is great and the color changes along the way are pretty cool. And size, heck ya she's at least eight inches.
Did you raise mommy?
I have a tenacious trio of 2" slings, purchased about 3 months ago. Aggressive eaters, each molted once and #3 already threat postures. Lol!

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did you raise mommy?
I have a tenacious trio of 2" slings, purchased about 3 months ago. Aggressive eaters, each molted once and #3 already threat postures. Lol!
Yes I did . Got her as a half inch sling from Kelly Swift 2/9/11. She has been a favorite from the start. She eats aggressively, never allows anything in or out of her enclosure without a slap. And she loves ping pong balls, small vials, etc. I've really enjoyed owning this tarantula from the beginning. Strangely enough pairing her wasn't what I expected. Instead of being her usual defensive slaphappy self. She was exceedingly gentle with the male They paired very nicely. Here are a couple pics of her. First pic is before pairing. Second pick is when I cuped her to get the sac. Last pic is her after the cupping lol. IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0302.JPG IMG_0310.JPG

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Yes I did . Got her as a half inch sling from Kelly Swift 2/9/11. She has been a favorite from the start. She eats aggressively, never allows anything in or out of her enclosure without a slap. And she loves ping pong balls, small vials, etc. I've really enjoyed owning this tarantula from the beginning. Strangely enough pairing her wasn't what I expected. Instead of being her usual defensive slaphappy self. She was exceedingly gentle with the male They paired very nicely. Here are a couple pics of her. First pic is before pairing. Second pick is when I cuped her to get the sac. Last pic is her after the cupping lol. View attachment 233013 View attachment 233014 View attachment 233015
Gorgeous girl!
Fine job on rearing her.
I know it will be quite some time for mine to get big. Fortunately I was given the patience of Jobe. Lol!
Ping pong balls huh! Maybe when they get bigger I'll give it a try.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gorgeous girl!
Fine job on rearing her.
I know it will be quite some time for mine to get big. Fortunately I was given the patience of Jobe. Lol!
Ping pong balls huh! Maybe when they get bigger I'll give it a try.
Awe thank you. You won't be disappointed with the ping pong ball lol!

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Quick update. P.canceridies hit second instar. They got very large and dark as first instar. Even gained lots of hair. So much so I thought they had already molted. But there were no little molts. And I didn't have my glasses on lol. April 14th most hit second instar with 10 lingering behind. As of today they are all 2nd instar. There were 6 eggs that never hatched. 4 never molted to 2nd instar. 9 were eaten as 2nd instar ensued ( should have separated at first instar ). Ending count 153 little blue meanies. Pics aren't that great. It was end of night in T room so lighting is very low. IMG_0457.JPG IMG_0456.JPG IMG_0449.JPG

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Blue meanies is probably the cutest name for a sling ever :kiss:

Congrats on the haul! Time to start selling!

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Congrats they look awesome. I picked up 2 slings of these 1inch. I'm amazed how active and aggressive they are with food.