Pulchra Sling Questions

orangeandbitey

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone

Yesterday I recieved my new G. Pulchra sling andd A. Minatrix sling from Paul @ Petcenterusa AWESOME T's, great seller.

Anyways I got a nice little sling enclosure made for the Pulchra and I'm using the bagged EcoEarth from ZooMed (Coconut Coir) as Substrate. My question is the substrate seems so light and fluffy that whenever I move anything I feel like I wreck his "pits" hes making. Hes like a little bulldozer! Hills everywhere haha. But I guess it seems like maybe I should mist the Ecoearth? Give it some solidity? Or perhaps a different substrate/add some other substrate? How are G. Pulchra slings with Misting? I have a tiny cap waterdish (the sling is a little over 1'') with a rock in it so it can get out. I normally don't provide a waterdish for slings but I wasn't sure if I should mist or just overflow the cap. Also excited because shes in premolt :)

I'll get some pics up tonight of em if there is any interest.

Thanks for everyones help!

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
You shouldn't move around the substrate too much. Also, I wouldn't recommend misting. Try overfilling/missing the water cap when refilling it sometimes.

orangeandbitey

Arachnopeon
Yes I know I shouldnt move the substrate, that's why I'm concerned a bit. When I move the enclosure, open the lid, or anything maintenancy... it makes his little holes he digs start filling back in its that loose. Maybe I should just try packing it down a bit by hand.

oufbfan

Arachnopeon
I pack mine down and it works better. It's not wet but it is enough to keep it together. I overflow the water just a little and my palchra are doing great.

orangeandbitey

Arachnopeon
Yea I went ahead and packed it really hard. Definitely helped out I think. I can't wait for this little guy to molt.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With a sling under 2", I wouldn't do a water dish yet. Not because I think it will drown, but because its epicuticle isn't fully formed yet. This means they generally need more humidity, because the unformed epicuticle allows moisture to escape their body. Once it is fully formed, it is water tight, inside and out.

We have 2 G. pulchra and have raised them from the size yours is. When they hit about 2 1/2" they seemed to prefer dryness more. Now, they routinely put substrate in their water dish and we keep them dry. We prefer to moisten one side of the enclosure about once a week, until they reach 2" and then a bottlecap water dish. If you click on my picture thread there are pictures of progressive molts that let you see them grow up.:D They are 3+ inches now.

orangeandbitey

Arachnopeon
Thank you Curiousme! That was a very informative post, I never knew that about their epicuticle! Awesome stuff. I will moisten one side and see how he behaves. I'm so addicted to spiders now :) got my first one 3 months ago and now I have 8 :x

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you Curiousme! That was a very informative post, I never knew that about their epicuticle! Awesome stuff. I will moisten one side and see how he behaves. I'm so addicted to spiders now :) got my first one 3 months ago and now I have 8 :x
That seems to be the fate of a fair amount of new T owners. We are up to 23 now, small compared to some, but just enough for us. Welcome to the hobby that is an addiction and the boards!:D

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with Curious. When mine were smaller than 2", I would mist on one side of their deli, both the substrate and the wall. Before long, they would be sitting on the moist part or up on the sides drinking. The majority of their deli was kept dry (would alternate where I misted). Now that they're bigger than 2", they have a small bottle cap that I overfill a bit. Seems to have worked fine for 'em.