Pulchra having odd problems

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
Now for a t that doesn't like moisture, an ICU is a bad place for it...it could actually kill it....the shower idea isn't much better....a hot shower may sound logical...but its not the right move.

It doesn't look like a fall could be the issue, it doesn't sound like poisoning of any sorts is the answer either.

Not ts to often molt the day after eating, its uncommon, but not unheard of and not a cause for concern in its self.

That said, if it is a molt issue (and we won't likely ever be able to tell from pics on the net), then there really isn't much that can be done. Had the t begun molting, you would have opportunity to surgically remove the molt....but that's only an option for one stuck in the process....ones that get stuck before they start really have no hope.....a while back I lost my prized T. cyaneolum to this...it sucked.

Only time will tell. Good luck with the others.
Yeah, I was wondering that myself, about the icu. I just figured it was SOMETHING. If it was a molting problem, it might help. As of now, I just haven't a clue what my next step is. I have surgically removed a molt from an E. murinus a while back that had been kept in awful conditions, and it's first, and only, molt with me was an awful one. I have never had something this unusual happen to aT in my care. I was wondering about DKS, but I'm not sure about that either. -sigh- it is beyond frustrating being unable to do anything, and having no clue what step to take.

cold blood

Staff member
And the substrate is eco earth worth some vermiculite. It is a but loose, and I have been planning on changing it to straight eco earth once he molted (rolls eyes at situating currently). He also has a small water dish in there. He just ALWAYS buries it. After the tenth time unearthing it, I just gave up. Hahaha.
Vermiculite isn't necessary, and for an arid t, its actually completely useless. Just make sure when you use eco earth (or coco fiber or jungle mix or peat) that its tamped down tightly, this is the only way it will hold to burrowing.

I hear ya on the dishes...but don't unearth them...simply add another....I frequently excavate several dished every time I re-house.

Honestly a lack of moisture is a cause for stuck molts, and most of that moisture (despite what you might read) comes from within the t its self...which is why its common for pre-molt ts to drink in the hours or days prior to molting. I'm not saying that was definitively the cause, just food for thought for the future.

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
Sub doesn't go bad...only change it when the t out grows its enclosure and gets a new set up.
The pure eco earth it was in had mold spores. :( I also do spot cleaning and partial substrate changes every six months or so.

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
Which size did you mean?

Either way, I wouldn't have flipped him.
Honestly, even if I thought it was something other than a moult (which is what I lean towards here) -- I would still have let nature run its course and see what happened.

Without suspicion of injury, chemical exposure, dehydration... I dunno -- human interference seems risky in these cases.
It is closer to two inches. Approximately. My bad for not having an exact size, and for comparing it to something not exactly two inches. -rolls eyes-

Regardless, watching my tarantula writhe around on its back, bowed and seeming in distress was enough to make me go against everything I've been told and flip him over. I head already given nature twelve hours to run its course.

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
Vermiculite isn't necessary, and for an arid t, its actually completely useless. Just make sure when you use eco earth (or coco fiber or jungle mix or peat) that its tamped down tightly, this is the only way it will hold to burrowing.

I hear ya on the dishes...but don't unearth them...simply add another....I frequently excavate several dished every time I re-house.

Honestly a lack of moisture is a cause for stuck molts, and most of that moisture (despite what you might read) comes from within the t its self...which is why its common for pre-molt ts to drink in the hours or days prior to molting. I'm not saying that was definitively the cause, just food for thought for the future.
Thank you for the food for thought. Your responses are most kind, and appreciated. I had pure eco earth in there before hand, tamped down and firmly in there, and it ended up growing weird mold spores. I had read about adding vermiculite for aeration, and tried it out. I'll keep that in mind for my others. :)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Regardless, watching my tarantula writhe around on its back, bowed and seeming in distress was enough to make me go against everything I've been told and flip him over. I head already given nature twelve hours to run its course.
Of course, no one here wants to see their T appear to be struggling. I empathize that it's hard to just do nothing. We've had lots of stories shared here of some extremely long moults -- some Ts make it, some don't. :(
But if I cannot accurately diagnose a problem -- I don't want to try random things if I am just shooting in the dark, yannoe?
In the future, I'd leave the T alone. Frustrating though that might be.

Hope your little one makes it.

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
Of course, no one here wants to see their T appear to be struggling. I empathize that it's hard to just do nothing. We've had lots of stories shared here of some extremely long moults -- some Ts make it, some don't. :(
But if I cannot accurately diagnose a problem -- I don't want to try random things if I am just shooting in the dark, yannoe?
In the future, I'd leave the T alone. Frustrating though that might be.

Hope your little one makes it.
Thanks very much for the empathy. He is currently still on his back and exhibiting some more normal molting behavior (occasional, small flexing movements, etc) as opposed to what he was doing earlier. I will hold out hope until it's too late, as i usually do.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In the first picture and based on enclosure size it doesn't look anywhere close to silver dollar size.

cold blood

Staff member
it ended up growing weird mold spores. I had read about adding vermiculite for aeration
Vermiculite's main purpose is to hold moisture...for a little aeration you can add a handful of sand to smooth things out...but even that's not generally necessary.

As for growing mold...it should be kept bone dry....mold can't form in dry....if it is dry and mold is still appearing, it speaks directly to a lack of ventilation. A pulchra should never have mold issues in its enclosure....possibly the verm is the culprit...perhaps not.

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
Vermiculite's main purpose is to hold moisture...for a little aeration you can add a handful of sand to smooth things out...but even that's not generally necessary.

As for growing mold...it should be kept bone dry....mold can't form in dry....if it is dry and mold is still appearing, it speaks directly to a lack of ventilation. A pulchra should never have mold issues in its enclosure....possibly the verm is the culprit...perhaps not.
The spores showed up when I had him in his old KK, and on only eco earth. I know it also helps hold in moisture. I usually fill up his water dish until it barely overflows, and let it dry out again. In the pictures, it is a bit more moist since I also sprayed a bit on that side (due to impending molt). His sack mate is doing very well, so I'm happy about that. I may change out substrate from the EE vermiculite mix to straight eco earth today, though. Hm

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use straight eco earth for all my G. pulchra. The only place you want moisture is in the water bowl.

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
Update: spider is now flipped on side. Still occasionally spazzes out. Not able to walk or move. Keeps acting like there is something terribly wrong. No change in the way of molting or otherwise. Starting to lose hope. :/

Adenovirus19

Arachnopeon
Sorry Izzyloo3. Must be difficult to not have anyone offer specifics. Its ovbious you are an attentive keeper.
Best of luck. Hopefully the little guy will pull through.

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
Sorry Izzyloo3. Must be difficult to not have anyone offer specifics. Its ovbious you are an attentive keeper.
Best of luck. Hopefully the little guy will pull through.
Thank you for the compliment. I truly appreciate. As frustrating as it is not having any specifics or there being no other situations like this one, it is most frustrating watching my little one struggle so much, and being unable to do anything. I just hope something miraculous happens. :/

cold blood

Staff member
Must be difficult to not have anyone offer specifics
Please explain how this is possible.

Many possibilities were discussed, there is absolutely positively no way anyone that's not even there could give specific and accurate help....we can only speculate....same for the op.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I hope your T makes it. The worst part about this situation is the fact that nobody knows for certain what the issue is and nothing can be corrected to prevent this from happening and nothing can be learned. :(

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
generally, spazzing out and having heavy difficulty moving is DKS. or tarantula poisoning. only way this can be avoided to to not use chemicals around spiders, like at all. this is almost always fatal. i have had one survivor however, a N incei sling that molted out of it after surviving for weeks with it.
poisoning can happen from many different chemicals. think of which you have used in your tarantula room. perfume, air freshener, flea spray (?), insect repellant, etc.
what brand of vermiculite did you use? a good way to test for anything bad is to leave a few crickets in a container of it for a couple days. if the crickets dont die, its most likely safe.