Pulchra having odd problems

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
Hi all!
Let me start out by saying thank you in advance to any help I receive. I've never seen anything like this in my years of keeping Ts.

I have two pulchra juveniles, among others. Still borderline slings, even though I've had them for about three years. I went through my group yesterday and fed all who were willing to eat.

The specimen I will be writing about ate, which is unusual given that he has been showing some signs of pre-molt. Didn't think anything of it. Went out, came home late, he's on his back. I find it a bit odd that he didn't lay a mat, or anything. He was on the moist side of his enclosure, so I let him be.
Went to bed. Woke up, and came to check on him. It's been about ten hours at this point. At his size, he probably only needed a few. I see him kind of spazzing out, waving his legs, fangs out. I grab his little Tupperware container and go immediately to the bathroom where a hot shower is going. I take the top off, and he looks very distressed. I wait a bit, and break the taboo: I flip him over, assuming he is stuck. He isn't. There is no evidence of molting whatsoever, he hasn't popped or anything. He just keeps spazzing, curling his legs over his face, spreading fangs, etc. Scaring the hell out of me.
I set up a small ICU for him, and move him in it. He keeps doing the spazzing thing, and then flipped back over onto his side/back. I left him in the bathroom, shower running. I don't have any idea of what's wrong, or what else I can do. I'll attach pictures, if able, and videos. ANY help is welcome, and advice appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Unspent I'm unable to upload a video of his scary behavior, but I'll email if anyone is interested in seeing.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
yup, you disturbed a molt. its most likely going to die now.
-they dont pop their carapace right away. they spaz like that first.
-you shouldn't have touched his cage at all. never bother bringing it to the shower.
-sometimes they eat close to molting.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know you already know this, but leave them be when you run into these situations. You may have exacerbated something.

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
Thanks for not only the unnecessary attitude, but for the complete lack of help. As I mentioned, the spider was spazzing as if something was wrong, not a normal, slow movement. I have owned Ts for about ten years, so I understand the severity of the situation. Unless you have something constructive to add, please refrain. Good day.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for not only the unnecessary attitude, but for the complete lack of help. As I mentioned, the spider was spazzing as if something was wrong, not a normal, slow movement. I have owned Ts for about ten years, so I understand the severity of the situation. Unless you have something constructive to add, please refrain. Good day.
yes attitude.. on a computer screen. for petes sake, help yourself.

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
I understand, and I suppose my original post did not communicate the way the tarantula was acting. It was on its back, body bowed, writhing, biting at the substrate. IT WAS NOT NORMAL. NOTHING ABOUT THIS SITUATION WAS NORMAL. I cannot post the video I took, but will be more than happy to email.
The tarantula was not experiencing a normal molt, and I didn't flip it over after an hour, this was TWELVE HOURS LATER. The thing is the size of a silver dollar. I have had a mature T stirmi molt in less time. Again, I appreciate any constructive advice or help. This isn't my first rodeo, I'm not a novice keeper, and I didn't flip him over on a whim.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Hi all!
Let me start out by saying thank you in advance to any help I receive. I've never seen anything like this in my years of keeping Ts.

I have two pulchra juveniles, among others. Still borderline slings, even though I've had them for about three years. I went through my group yesterday and fed all who were willing to eat.

The specimen I will be writing about ate, which is unusual given that he has been showing some signs of pre-molt. Didn't think anything of it. Went out, came home late, he's on his back. I find it a bit odd that he didn't lay a mat, or anything. He was on the moist side of his enclosure, so I let him be.
Went to bed. Woke up, and came to check on him. It's been about ten hours at this point. At his size, he probably only needed a few. I see him kind of spazzing out, waving his legs, fangs out. I grab his little Tupperware container and go immediately to the bathroom where a hot shower is going. I take the top off, and he looks very distressed. I wait a bit, and break the taboo: I flip him over, assuming he is stuck. He isn't. There is no evidence of molting whatsoever, he hasn't popped or anything. He just keeps spazzing, curling his legs over his face, spreading fangs, etc. Scaring the hell out of me.
I set up a small ICU for him, and move him in it. He keeps doing the spazzing thing, and then flipped back over onto his side/back. I left him in the bathroom, shower running. I don't have any idea of what's wrong, or what else I can do. I'll attach pictures, if able, and videos. ANY help is welcome, and advice appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Unspent I'm unable to upload a video of his scary behavior, but I'll email if anyone is interested in seeing.
Doesn't sound like a molt.. You say he was fed earlier that day and then started acting unusual later that day?..

I think it may have ingested something toxic. Either the cricket was exposed to something before you bought it or you had something on your hands or clothes that you transferred to it..

Have you used any pesticides on yourself ( mosquito spray etc) or on your cat or dog.. Can you think of any toxins that you may have been in contact with that day?

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
Doesn't sound like a molt.. You say he was fed earlier that day and then started acting unusual later that day?..

I think it may have ingested something toxic. Either the cricket was exposed to something before you bought it or you had something on your hands or clothes that you transferred to it..

Have you used any pesticides on yourself ( mosquito spray etc) or on your cat or dog.. Can you think of any toxins that you may have been in contact with that day?
I have a colony of dubia roaches, and fed him a very small nymph. (As his abdomen is already so large, but he hasn't been fed in about three weeks. He refused the last meal I tried, and I assumed he was going to molt soon.) I only feed my roaches fresh fruits and vegetables, and there is no way they could have come into contact with any pesticides or cleaners. I use almost entirely all natural products in my home, as well as in myself. I also transferred the Roach to the spider using tongs. I truly cannot think of any toxin that he could have come into contact with. :(

cold blood

Staff member
Pics of the enclosure would help. How much room is there from sub to the top? Is there anything near where it was that it could have fallen on?

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
He is in a little Tupperware thing. I try to keep his substrate level, but he always piles it up on one side. He has his little leaves and I think a small piece of cork bark buried in there. The space from top to bottom is not much larger than his leg span, even on the side with less substrate.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
I honestly haven't measured him. If I had to estimate I would say approximately 2-2.5 inches.
Ok, that's vital info and it doesn't need to be exact....so you have a juvenile and not a sling.

There's absolutely no need to keep the substrate level...set it up and let the t do what it likes.

I don't see ventilation, I assume its on the lid....ideally its best to be primarily on the sides, but with a drought tolerant t this size, it really won't matter.

What it that substrate? It looks pretty loose.

The biggest thing you do need to add is a water dish...the cap off a gallon of milk will be perfect.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have a colony of dubia roaches, and fed him a very small nymph. (As his abdomen is already so large, but he hasn't been fed in about three weeks. He refused the last meal I tried, and I assumed he was going to molt soon.) I only feed my roaches fresh fruits and vegetables, and there is no way they could have come into contact with any pesticides or cleaners. I use almost entirely all natural products in my home, as well as in myself. I also transferred the Roach to the spider using tongs. I truly cannot think of any toxin that he could have come into contact with. :(
Is there any gunk by the spinnerrettes or covering the anal gland.. The T is fat as a tick I'm wondering if it's possibly impacted.. Symptoms are similar to chemical toxicity.. I assume it's because the build up of feces turns septic in essence causing a form of toxicity.

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
Ok, that's vital info and it doesn't need to be exact....so you have a juvenile and not a sling.

There's absolutely no need to keep the substrate level...set it up and let the t do what it likes.

I don't see ventilation, I assume its on the lid....ideally its best to be primarily on the sides, but with a drought tolerant t this size, it really won't matter.

What it that substrate? It looks pretty loose.

The biggest thing you do need to add is a water dish...the cap off a gallon of milk will be perfect.
I only set it up as level when I do substrate changes (every six months) or if he does crazy things, or I need to spot clean. There is ventilation in the lid, and two very small rows of holes along each side. I like a cross vent, as well. And the substrate is eco earth worth some vermiculite. It is a but loose, and I have been planning on changing it to straight eco earth once he molted (rolls eyes at situating currently). He also has a small water dish in there. He just ALWAYS buries it. After the tenth time unearthing it, I just gave up. Hahaha.

cold blood

Staff member
Now for a t that doesn't like moisture, an ICU is a bad place for it...it could actually kill it....the shower idea isn't much better....a hot shower may sound logical...but its not the right move.

It doesn't look like a fall could be the issue, it doesn't sound like poisoning of any sorts is the answer either.

Not ts to often molt the day after eating, its uncommon, but not unheard of and not a cause for concern in its self.

That said, if it is a molt issue (and we won't likely ever be able to tell from pics on the net), then there really isn't much that can be done. Had the t begun molting, you would have opportunity to surgically remove the molt....but that's only an option for one stuck in the process....ones that get stuck before they start really have no hope.....a while back I lost my prized T. cyaneolum to this...it sucked.

Only time will tell. Good luck with the others.

Izzyloo3

Arachnosquire
Is there any gunk by the spinnerrettes or covering the anal gland.. The T is fat as a tick I'm wondering if it's possibly impacted.. Symptoms are similar to chemical toxicity.. I assume it's because the build up of feces turns septic in essence causing a form of toxicity.
Yes, I know he is gigantic. I don't overfeed, and have been a tad worried about him being this large, myself. I chocked it up to extreme pre molt. There is nothing bear his rectum, and he defecates normally. On the wall. :p that is a good idea, though. I will go check on him in a moment.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
The thing is the size of a silver dollar.
I honestly haven't measured him. If I had to estimate I would say approximately 2-2.5 inches.
Which size did you mean?

Either way, I wouldn't have flipped him.
Honestly, even if I thought it was something other than a moult (which is what I lean towards here) -- I would still have let nature run its course and see what happened.

Without suspicion of injury, chemical exposure, dehydration... I dunno -- human interference seems risky in these cases.