Pulchra breeding Project...

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all! Its been awhile since my last posting. I am planning to breed Grammostola Pulchra and I need all the help I can get. Here's my situation..

I presently have 3 adult females and one sub-adult male due for its ultimate molt anytime soon. The male last molted mid- February of this year. I am now transferring the females to larger quarters so there will be room for maneuvering for both me and the male, when he comes of age. I am feeding the females and the male as much as they can eat. So far so good.

I would like to know if anyone here has succesfully bred this wonderful tarantula, and would be willing to share notes with me. I would appreciate all the help... thanks in advance...

Gerry

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all! Its been awhile since my last posting. I am planning to breed Grammostola Pulchra and I need all the help I can get. Here's my situation..

I presently have 3 adult females and one sub-adult male due for its ultimate molt anytime soon. The male last molted mid- February of this year. I am now transferring the females to larger quarters so there will be room for maneuvering for both me and the male, when he comes of age. I am feeding the females and the male as much as they can eat. So far so good.

I would like to know if anyone here has succesfully bred this wonderful tarantula, and would be willing to share notes with me. I would appreciate all the help... thanks in advance...

Gerry

Before you check here go to the breeding reports section and see what they have, of course if you already haven't gone there yet.

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Before you check here go to the breeding reports section and see what they have, of course if you already haven't gone there yet.
Yeah I did, but so far, the reports only go as far as the mating itself. I've also read they're quite easy to ate, but the eggsac production is the tricky part. I am more concerned about that part of the breeding process. Sigh, I am both excited and flabberghasted at the same time. I did a crash course when my male RCF matured. I am not about to do itnow lol. I am doing my research before my male matures. Thanks though for the thought.:D

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well i bred my female this spring.

she was surprisingly agressive towards the male, so maybe stand by and save his life with tongs.

i mated them three times, after which she did not let him near her again.

then i cooled her down to about 18° celsius for few weeks. due to the early spring here in germany she got warmed up again a bit quicker than i would have done it given a choice. i fed her all she would eat during that period, but she did not take very much more food than normally.

it's about 4 months since she was mated now and she has grown a BIG butt. she has not yet dropped a sack though. it's very warm here and she seems restless, but i'm still not sure she' about to lay eggs... sorry, that's all of my personal experience with breeding pulchras...

however, those people who have succeeded over here in europe usually mate the female several times and give her a relatively long cooling period.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Do you cool them as soon as they're mated or after a set number of weeks?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I treat my A. hentzi the same. I cool mine about a month after they mate and I keep them cool for about 2 months and then bring them back in to warm up and work on egg developement. I give them time to adjust and acclimate to new conditions. Not sure if it's needed but that's what I do.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dont mean to rain on your parade. But if he molted this past feb, you might not see a molt till mid spring next year.
Thats a nice breeding group you have though. I wish you good luck.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i fed her well for about two weeks before cooling.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
not yet, unfortunately. i haven't fed her in two months though and she's nevertheless looking grossly obese. so i have hope ;)

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@ Alice - thanks for the info. how long should the Ideal cooling period be?

@ Talk - yeah, am aware of the time it may molt. But I am doing research as early as now and get as much info as I need. really appreciate your help guys! and tonight I am going to be getting another adult female and sub-adult male pulchra to add to the stable. :)

And guess what everyone, my campestratus male just matured. Have a mature female so I am going to be mating them too. I am still mating my RCF, she is getting a big bum already but still receptive to the male. Dang!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i heard from a successful breeder that the cooling period should be as long a 8 weeks. however, due to the early spring here, mine was only about 4 weeks. but i can hope :?

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@ Alice - Thats cooling after a successful insemination right. So eight weeks at how low. I live in a tropical country. Its still Kinda warm here even when its already the rainy season. I do have airconditioning at home. Thing is I only live in a pad, around 60 sqaure meters all told. So I may not be able to put them where there would be less movement. Oh Btw, I picked up my new adult female and sub-adult male, and they're both gorgeous as pulchras go. Will update you in my progress and lets try to compare notes! Thanks a bundle Alice. Much apreciated.:) :) :)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your going to shoot for the mid to low 60's. I know that might be hard to do considering your natural climate, but maybe when they are ready to breed it will be cooler and you can use nature to you advantage.

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@ Talk - low 60's, hmm, I guess the pulchras and I willgo along well.I love the cold. hehehe. Thanks Talk!!!:)

@ Lima - yup, read that already. I amactually looking for the more extensive version. It seems to be nowhere to be found. I have even PMed Joy Reed at ATSHQ. Apparently she hasnt posted much forsome time and Idont know if she still visits thwe forum. Ah well, am still doing my own research just the same. Thanks dude.:)