Pulchra attracted to each other

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
I remember seeing similar post regarding this subject, where two Ts from separate enclosure are standing across each other as if they are communicating. I do disagree with the concept of communicating, however I do think they do sense each other's vibration and are attracted due to either curiosity or possibly as food. I start to see my two G. Pulchras doing the same thing quite often now and looks cute :happy:
The second picture is my two stirmis minding their own business..

Attachments

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Why would you think that spiders don't communicate? :confused:

I have Ts of different species whose enclosures are literally wall-to-wall and they sometimes will do that... it is quite cute lol

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
That’s awesome how they are mirror images of each other. It seems my A. avic and C versi will walk around at night at the same time and are almost curious of each other.

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
Why would you think that spiders don't communicate? :confused:

I have Ts of different species whose enclosures are literally wall-to-wall and they sometimes will do that... it is quite cute lol
I'm not saying they don't communicate at all, just for this case. I could be wrong

Got bored and did a little doodle

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I remember seeing similar post regarding this subject, where two Ts from separate enclosure are standing across each other as if they are communicating. I do disagree with the concept of communicating, however I do think they do sense each other's vibration and are attracted due to either curiosity or possibly as food. I start to see my two G. Pulchras doing the same thing quite often now and looks cute :happy:
The second picture is my two stirmis minding their own business..
Theraphosidae absolutely communicate with each other. Vibrations, tapping, and pheromones for sure. Theoretically sounds that emit vibration (many species stridulate and this has been linked to sexual communication) not to mention just general touch and despite terrible eyesight a close spider will see another one.

Whether this could occur from one enclosure to another, who knows.

Here you go, brand new research on tarantulas and stridulation:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0044523119301056

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Whether this could occur from one enclosure to another, who knows.
Anyone who has had a mature male and mature female of the species can tell you, yes it can! I have had a MM on one shelf, and a MF respond to his tapping/wandering from three shelves away.

When I am preparing to pair spiders, I put both their enclosures on the same shelf and they definitely respond.

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
I definitely agree with those kind of communication happening in between adults specimen, but do slings also do that? I believe the other post was also based on slings rather than (sub)adults. It would be quite interesting if g pulchra could be communal but I have never read anyone keeping them communal yet.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm just going to leave this here.

I was playing the ribbon game with Bulldozer (pulchra, left) when Genicula (right) climbed up to investigate, so I let them play tug of war against each other.

While Bulldozer is bigger, it wasn't long before Genicula got the upper hand due to his enthusiasm.

Genicula finally won by yanking the ribbon into his cage, but he fell into his water dish and thereby lost some of the dignity of victory.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
My G pulchripes and pulchra both climb the wall and hang out all the time. It's almost like they have their own Grammastola club and totally ignore the Brachypelmas. They are my biggest spiders too. Probably making fun of the brachypelmas for being midgets ;):wacky:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
They are checking to make sure you didn't feed one and not the other.
My E Campastratus didn't get fed one time because it looked like it was in premolt. But my hamorii and auratum did and the campestratus seemed ticked off. Fed it a few days later and it took its frustrations out on the poor cricket! Feisty one that one!