Publications on Vaejovis Spinigerus?

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm specifically looking for a publication detailing the length of time each scorpion spends at each instar. I know I found one once for Centroudies Gracilis.

Or... if anyone is out there who has bred them and raises them, how much time in between instars 2-3, 3-4, etc. Just a general time period is good.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/3705267
i've found this publication on a different vaejovis species, but it wont let me access it.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello,
In my opinion, desert vaejovids and early instar stages are difficult in captivity.

whys that? molting? or moisture issues? im keeping mine with a wet paper towel and misting daily, then letting it dry for a few, then misting. 16/29 are still alive, either fat, or active. i never see them eating each other or the cricket/mealworm remains i cut up in there, but theyre eating something! i only spot a few dead bodies at a time so i assume cannibalism.

its my first brood, so i'm just very curious, and anxious, as im tired of them at 2i; theyre too darn small :p

Last edited:

Goon_CH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Species status is not current:

Vaejovis spinigerus (Wood, 1863) = Hoffmannius spinigerus (Wood, 1863)

Soleglad ME, Fet V. Contributions to scorpion systematics. III. Subfamilies Smeringurinae and Syntropinae (Scorpiones: Vaejovidae). Euscorpius. 2008(71):1-115.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Species status is not current:

Vaejovis spinigerus (Wood, 1863) = Hoffmannius spinigerus (Wood, 1863)

Soleglad ME, Fet V. Contributions to scorpion systematics. III. Subfamilies Smeringurinae and Syntropinae (Scorpiones: Vaejovidae). Euscorpius. 2008(71):1-115.
That doesn't not help me... at all.

I've known about the genus name change since before i even purchased this specie.

and i found someone who knows more about them than myself, so im asking them.

Last edited:

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey gromgrom,

Yes, a combination of all you stated. It is a trial and error with vaejovids in early instars. I have had V. globosus, V. confusus, V. spinigerus give birth after collecting trips (research etc.)that provided young while in captive conditions. Rule of thumb is to keep instars stages seperate due to what you stated. Cannibalism occurs when molting occurs in progression with an individual then here comes a random sibling(s)...

Sorry for the late reply and any new news since the intial post besides the taxonomy posts LOL.

Anything learned with the literature request.

Sinc. Chad

whys that? molting? or moisture issues? im keeping mine with a wet paper towel and misting daily, then letting it dry for a few, then misting. 16/29 are still alive, either fat, or active. i never see them eating each other or the cricket/mealworm remains i cut up in there, but theyre eating something! i only spot a few dead bodies at a time so i assume cannibalism.

its my first brood, so i'm just very curious, and anxious, as im tired of them at 2i; theyre too darn small :p

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey gromgrom,

Yes, a combination of all you stated. It is a trial and error with vaejovids in early instars. I have had V. globosus, V. confusus, V. spinigerus give birth after collecting trips (research etc.)that provided young while in captive conditions. Rule of thumb is to keep instars stages seperate due to what you stated. Cannibalism occurs when molting occurs in progression with an individual then here comes a random sibling(s)...

Sorry for the late reply and any new news since the intial post besides the taxonomy posts LOL.

Anything learned with the literature request.

Sinc. Chad

no but they all molted to third instar, and now im down from 24 to 3. yep. either some escaped due to being good at climbing now, or they ate eat other. at least the three are fat and hyper :8o:wall::(