Pterinopelma sazimai

wickee

Arachnopeon
I purchased what I was told was a confirmed Pterinopelma sazimai. It is around 4 inches so not a sling but it doesn't really have much blue at all. I read in one location that the males tend to not be as blue and frequently look brownish in color. I put a picture up. I haven't had a molt yet but does anyone have any experience or feedback on this topic. Thanks. Perhaps this is another species altogether.

Attachments

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Yeah, this is very likely a P.sazimai, though one that seems long overdue for a molt. After it molts, you won't miss the blue.

wickee

Arachnopeon
Really appreciate the feedback. Is there little difference then between the males and females as far as the coloration and this is just overdue a molt?

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Really appreciate the feedback. Is there little difference then between the males and females as far as the coloration and this is just overdue a molt?
My friend's mature male is more brown compared to his female, but i'm not sure if he was more blue just after he matured. Though i don't think there's any sexual dimorphism before the male matures, both females and males look equally blue. I have yet to see good sized sub-adults of different sexes side by side. But based on images my friend sent me - before the male matured, he looked equally blue to the female.
So no, not that i know of.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It is around 4 inches so not a sling but it doesn't really have much blue at all.
Their colours are only really vibrant for a short while after a moult so they often appear dark or brownish under normal light, also bear in mind that most photos of them (and any other blue species for that matter) online have the saturation cranked up to 111.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
@wickee Try to shine some bright flashlight on it, or to make photo with flash, You will see blue/purple even before molt.

20190409_222845_HDR-1_postcard.jpg
Same photo without and with flash.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Of the male and female I had (sold the female, still have the male), there was zero sexual dimorphism when it came to color, and there likely wouldn't be any difference at all until a male's ultimate molt. While they are certainly blue when freshly molted and with the right lighting, many pictures I've seen of them online are oversaturated to give it that extreme blue appearance.

Here's a picture of my recently molted male, unedited, and with the flash from my phone:
20220107_124030.jpg
He has a clear blue color to him, but not necessarily what the unassuming person might expect.

Compare that to the same photo, but with saturation at 100%:
20220110_121510.jpg
This is much more like the typical photos I see of the species, but not exactly an accurate representation of it.

And when due a molt, my male has been extremely dull and lackluster in appearance. So while they are a pretty species, take pictures you see online with a grain of salt. That also applies to many other species pictured online

wickee

Arachnopeon
I know I haven’t commented here in a while but I would also like to add that out of all 40 or so tarantulas I have this one Is the only one who comes running out of the hide and assumes a threat posture when I open the cage. Super aggressive.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Of the male and female I had (sold the female, still have the male), there was zero sexual dimorphism when it came to color, and there likely wouldn't be any difference at all until a male's ultimate molt. While they are certainly blue when freshly molted and with the right lighting, many pictures I've seen of them online are oversaturated to give it that extreme blue appearance.

Here's a picture of my recently molted male, unedited, and with the flash from my phone:
View attachment 407730
He has a clear blue color to him, but not necessarily what the unassuming person might expect.

Compare that to the same photo, but with saturation at 100%:
View attachment 407731
This is much more like the typical photos I see of the species, but not exactly an accurate representation of it.

And when due a molt, my male has been extremely dull and lackluster in appearance. So while they are a pretty species, take pictures you see online with a grain of salt. That also applies to many other species pictured online
and this is why I tell everybody check the human flesh, and/or substrate color, because that's the dead tell on saturation.
Unless I did it, because I know how to layer mask and can hide any tells (I do it for a living)

Jess S

Arachnobaron
A freshly moulted P saz is beautifully blue. The shade reminds me of a fountain pen cartridge of blue ink, held up to the light 😍

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
and this is why I tell everybody check the human flesh, and/or substrate color, because that's the dead tell on saturation.
Unless I did it, because I know how to layer mask and can hide any tells (I do it for a living)

Yeah, it's usually a pretty good sign that the photo has been manipulated if the person's hand looks like they just pulled it out of an oven :rofl:

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
DISCLAIMER: The flash on my camera is very weak because i don't yet own a speedlite.

The first image is the unedited picture, which isn't how I'd describe how they look in person, the second picture has the exposure and whites increased in lightroom to make the photo more readable, NO COLOUR, HUE OR SATURATION HAS BEEN TWEAKED.

This specimen is 1.5" and is 1 week post molt.

In poor lighting they look dark gray with orange setae on their abdomen.

In average room lighting they look steely blue to navy blue to brown or black depending on where they are in their molt cycle.

Under a camera flash or other supplemental lighting they glow bright blue.

SaizAB (1 of 1).jpg SaizAB (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Last edited:

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Managed this shot of my approx 5cm P. sazimai a couple of days after moulting last week taken on my Samsung s20fe :) Flash is obviously on full but aside from that I've not retouched it before posting it
Definitely nowhere near this vibrant before it moulted, wish I'd gotten a snap

Screenshot_20220128-162217_Gallery.jpg