Pterinochilus Murinus

maddog1219

Arachnosquire
Hey guys, I just ordered a P.Murinus <edit>. Anyone wan't to tell me what to except, thank you!(It will be a 1 inch sling)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
They're really fast and bolty when they're young, and people say they get bold once they start showing orange. They're amazing webbers and really cool spiders, just be careful when unboxing. They need enough room to web up to be happy, dry substrate is good. Great eating response.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
look through this forum on escape stories. P Murinus slings are stupid fast and will escape quite easily. Be ready when you rehouse

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Congratulations. You just purchased a Ferrari while only just obtaining your learners permit. Don’t crash and burn Ricky Bobby.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
The obt’s reputation can be a bit harsh in my opinion. Yes, they definitely can have an attitude if given a reason while also having greased lightning movements and a bite that you won’t soon forget...but if you give it your utmost respect and make sure your husbandry game is on point this t is a PLEASURE to keep. With all that aside, I’m not sure what your experience is with keeping tarantulas but bear in mind that this one is not to be underestimated. Have fun!

Last edited:

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
They're great spiders. Mine is a MM at the end of his lifespan, but he's been a joy to keep. Beautiful tarantulas, and they build intricate web fortresses that are beautiful. They're often portrayed as being extremely aggressive, but this isn't necessarily the case. Very skittish, and if they don't have a place to hide, they will defend themselves with a bite. So make sure yours has plenty of hiding places in its enclosure. They're very hardy with easy husbandry. Give them plenty of substrate to create a burrow as well as anchor points for webbing above the ground. Mine was very skittish as a juvenile, but now that he's a mature male, I will say that he can be VERY defensive. Their temperaments can change a lot after a molt.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
No I have had a L.Parahybana for a year now
Best advice I can give you, as others have stated, just give it loads of respect when rehousing etc. have a good game plan in play and just be cool and calm and everything should go smoothly. I’ve had these bolt on me and they are lighting quick. Hence the Ferrari joke. Take care.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I got mine as a sling, he/she is now 6 months old and growing well. One thing I wasn't prepared for, however, was how they jump. Mine nearly leapt straight out of its enclosure, upwards, in a critter keeper when I opened the little hatch to feed.

maddog1219

Arachnosquire
Best advice I can give you, as others have stated, just give it loads of respect when rehousing etc. have a good game plan in play and just be cool and calm and everything should go smoothly. I’ve had these bolt on me and they are lighting quick. Hence the Ferrari joke. Take care.
I don't know why but my LP is so much more faster and deffensive than any other one ive handled. As soon is I touch around him at all he just bolts to wherever he can go

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I don't know why but my LP is so much more faster and deffensive than any other one ive handled. As soon is I touch around him at all he just bolts to wherever he can go
Generally, but not always, if you have a proper setup, they will escape to their hide first. I wants to bolt because it’s a sign it doesn’t want to be handled. I have NW’s however that are Satan in the flesh. All T’s behave differently. My p.murinus is docile compared to others I’ve kept. T’s don’t always fit the rule if you catch my drift.

maddog1219

Arachnosquire
Generally, but not always, if you have a proper setup, they will escape to their hide first. I wants to bolt because it’s a sign it doesn’t want to be handled. I have NW’s however that are Satan in the flesh. All T’s behave differently. My p.murinus is docile compared to others I’ve kept. T’s don’t always fit the rule if you catch my drift.
Yea a lot of people have been saying that the personality matters more than the spieces sometimes. But still always treat OW with their respect even if they seem docile

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Like any animal, they all have their own individual traits. Not only that, their behaviour and temperament can change from molt to molt.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I like mine, it’s .5” and a good looking sling with a bright abdomen right now. It’s lightening fast for sure. Sometimes I move other enclosures while doing maintenance and I can see an Orange flash out of the corner of my eye. Always out unless disturbed. I thought this one would give me my first threat pose, but the I. Mira claimed that record.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Yea a lot of people have been saying that the personality matters more than the spieces sometimes. But still always treat OW with their respect even if they seem docile
I don’t handle my T’s for a host of reasons. However, I take extra precautions when dealing with my OW’s no matter how docile they are. You’ll never catch me getting my hands close enough in the event one does want to try to take a chomp. Goes back to that respect thing..

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Like any animal, they all have their own individual traits. Not only that, their behaviour and temperament can change from molt to molt.
This^^ many people will say the OBT get much more bold once they start to show orange. They are fast. LP was my first spider, OBT was my 3rd. I only had about 3 months experience, but other than rehousing it hasn't been too bad. I got another OBT as a surprise freebie and it gave me a run for my money bolting every which way and not wanting to cooperate. They're not evil, but they are very fast. LPs are fast too, but OBT are really really really fast. Have more than one catch cup ready when you unbox it and don't let yourself feel rushed.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I like mine, it’s .5” and a good looking sling with a bright abdomen right now. It’s lightening fast for sure. Sometimes I move other enclosures while doing maintenance and I can see an Orange flash out of the corner of my eye. Always out unless disturbed. I thought this one would give me my first threat pose, but the I. Mira claimed that record.
I got an a.seemanni that I rescued from certain death. Ungrateful lil bugger would tear my arm off and spit on it if given the chance. Has deep damp substrate, a nice burrow, everything it could want. Convinced thing hates my guts. Learned just to not do maintenance or move enclosure to get a better look when it’s out in the open.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I always wanted an obt after seeing an adult. Mine is fairly chilled but I did get my first full on legs in the air threat display a couple of days back. Normally, though it just slinks off I to one of its many tunnels. I did loads, absolutely loads, of research before getting mine, as I do with any new species (a habit from my snake keeping days). The biggest lesson I picked up was that most keepers keep obts keep them with a very thin substrate. They are baboons, and are burrowers. Their first response is to run and hide in a burrow. Give them a deep substrate and you will have a far calmer obt.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I got an a.seemanni that I rescued from certain death. Ungrateful lil bugger would tear my arm off and spit on it if given the chance. Has deep damp substrate, a nice burrow, everything it could want. Convinced thing hates my guts. Learned just to not do maintenance or move enclosure to get a better look when it’s out in the open.
That is on my someday maybe list. I’m moving it down closer to the hell never category just above the H. lividum or whatever it’s called these days.