Pterinochilus murinus - Venom effects on mice(Video)

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Video belongs to iceman101976
[YOUTUBE]Uuwcj2_G3oo[/YOUTUBE]

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nothing to do with the video JC but damn your avatar cracks me up. {D

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
Well of course that was a fast death,OW venom to the neck:eek:
On a side note he should take out the sponge.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Video belongs to iceman101976
[YOUTUBE]Uuwcj2_G3oo[/YOUTUBE]
feeding grown, live mouse of spider
sand as substrate
sponge in water dish
Wow. That's gotta be the most rage inducing video ever.

But I must say it's very interesting seeing how quick the venom worked. I wonder where i was bit... from the looks of it and the little drop of blood that forms, I'd say right in the jugular!

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You changed your avatar while i was posting,and now we and are hobby are being eaten by invader ZIM!!??!?!??!
HAHAHAHAHA! Nah, I just started to watch all the episodes of Invader Zim all over again on netflix, must say I have missed that show.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't mind seeing another similar video where the bite lands in a different area of a mouse of similar size. Just to see how long the venom takes to kick in.
Its possible the bite alone killed the mouse due to where it was hit isn't it?

Would be an interesting experiment.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Who's the absolute noob that made this video? Somebody needs to teach him how to house an OBT. I'd rather not watch mice die but atleast it wasn't squeaking for 5 minutes.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
that was pretty quick, almost comparable to a rattlesnake bite on a similar mouse.

on another side note, LP venom will do the same thing in about 30 seconds more than this OBT.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
iirc, G. rosea venom is tied with quickness for killing mice in controlled conditions with all the top tier venoms like H. lividum and what not. i sort of recall obt being in the top tier, too

if the mouse died in less than five minutes the venom was either injected into sensitive areas or some kinda mechanical damage hastened the end

Lorum

Arachnosquire
Is it just me or the poor OBT was in a typical defense position?

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was thinking the same thing when I watched the video.
The Tarantula Keeper's Guide authors have worked up a theory..

What would likely be a tarantula's biggest foe? It would have to be an animal that is smarter, fiercer and faster than a tarantula. It would have to be small enough to creep into the burrow and do battle with it. Maybe a long time ago, rodents were their main predator? :?

Obey the fist!!!

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
outside of you guys tearing apart the video, you arent seeing the video for its worth. some people just arent as knowledgeable on taking care of their pets. and some people just dont care, they only get something to "see it kill stuff". regardless of the reason here, we are looking at a good video with an educational silver lining. by the looks of the blood drop yes there was a neck shot, or close enough to the head to cause massive trauma, possibly piercing the brain or severing an artery with its fang. if this were the case, the mouse would have died very quickly regardless of the venom potency. however if the mouse was struck in the face area (side of head/neck) and it did NOT hit something vital and that was simply death by envenomation then we can conclude that the venom of a T is quite powerful and (as we all should know) is not something to be taken lightly. more research like this should be shown, and i feel more bite reports should be filmed like RobC, so we can see the physical effects on people.

just my 200ths of a dollar.

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
outside of you guys tearing apart the video, you arent seeing the video for its worth. some people just arent as knowledgeable on taking care of their pets. and some people just dont care, they only get something to "see it kill stuff". regardless of the reason here, we are looking at a good video with an educational silver lining. by the looks of the blood drop yes there was a neck shot, or close enough to the head to cause massive trauma, possibly piercing the brain or severing an artery with its fang. if this were the case, the mouse would have died very quickly regardless of the venom potency. however if the mouse was struck in the face area (side of head/neck) and it did NOT hit something vital and that was simply death by envenomation then we can conclude that the venom of a T is quite powerful and (as we all should know) is not something to be taken lightly. more research like this should be shown, and i feel more bite reports should be filmed like RobC, so we can see the physical effects on people.

just my 200ths of a dollar.
you volunteering? {D