Pterinochilus murinus (OBT)

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone. I am a brand new member here on Arachnoboards. Ten minutes ago. :) Anyway, I have a very important question for you all. I am brand new to the hobby! I have 1 Tarantula so far. It is a 1 1/2" Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Green Bottle Blue) that I got from Paul at PetCenterUSA.net. Great transaction! Great seller! I never have handled it, nor do I plan to handle it. I love Tarantulas, but I don't really feel comfortable holding them. Anyway, as I said, I am new to the hobby. Now this may be a bad idea and that's why I'm asking the experts here. I found a P. murinus for sale at a very good price. $95 for an 5" adult female!!! Now, I am a bit terrified at the fact it is an "Orange Bitey Thing", but I am intrigued as well. They are truly beautiful! Now this may be part ego and part stupidity, but there's something about having the baddest spider on the block! So although a bit scared, I don't wanna jump into anything! I want to study, research, ask questions and get advise. I REALLY want to get her, but as Jon3800 says... Impulse buying. Shame shame. So I wait. I'm giving it 3 weeks. That will give me the time I need to save for her and another tank and whatnot. And if she sells in that time, then I'll look around again.
So here's the meat of the thread. The questions... Is it even possible I could be ready for this? How bad are they really? Speed/Aggression. Here's my thought process on this thing. As I said I'm a bit scared so I NEVER plan on giving her a chance to escape or bite me! But I may have it figured out. So I'm planning on buying the largest Critter Keeper I can find. $20 or so probably. Then whenever I need to feed I'll just pop the little top window part and throw it in. Well what about water and cage maintenance you ask? (This is where you tell me good or bad idea). I plan on making a wooden box enclosure for her too hide in and then attach a "trap door" on it. Then whenever I need to give her water, or do anything in the cage for that matter, I can just wait until she's in the box and close her in. Like I said, it will be a complete box too. So when I need to change the substrate I can wait until she's in there, shut the door, pick up the whole box, and then clean her home. That's my biggest fear is changing the bedding. And when I need to change in her home? I guess I'll figure that out at a later date. Maybe quickly put a cup over her while she's outside her home and then clean it. I plan to change the substrate once every 7-9 months and the "hide" maybe every 15-18 months. Is that about right? Now the real question is this... I plan to use 4-5 inches of substrate, have 1 water dish, and the wooden box in the tank. Will she even use the box? It will look like a regular box made of wood all the way around. I may put some substrate inside the box too make it a bit softer. But I know they like to web up corners I guess. So will she use the box if that's the only hide she has? Is this even a good idea? And lastly what's the best Temp/Humidity for them? I've only been in the hobby for about 1 month so far. But there is something about the OBT. I wouldn't mind a Colbalt Blue either. But I think (oddly enough) that an OBT would be easier to take care of. Well sorry for going on for so long. I hope someone reads this. This is my 1st ever thread here and I don't know if it's going in the right spot. Hell, I don't even know how I'm going to find this thread once I log out! Please help answer my questions if you can. I think I covered everything.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
well, first off, C. cyaneopubescens, great choice for your first T! :clap:

Well, $95 seems a bit steep for a female OBT. I got my 4" female for $45.

I think you have done your research and answered your own questions. Taking the plung into the OW aggressive T's can be intimidating, but once the OBT makes it's burrow and web structure, yeah "pet hole". You probably won't see it much.

Mine is aggressive, but rarely comes out.

Go ahead get an OBT, but maybe try and find a better price under the Classified: For Sale/Trade/Want to Buy

Cheers! ;P

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 4 OBTs(all 4-5"), they are all in the largest critter keeper with 4-5" of substrate and they have extensive burrows throughout it, I open the whole lid to do maintenance, so I don't think you need the box, whenever I go to open the lid, they will hide in their burrows, I just have a half log in each and they built all around that, they each have 2-3 entrances into their tunnels.. I have never cleaned their cages, they keep it pretty clean themselves, they'll leave the molts and roach remains by their water bowls. They are all aggressive, I see them decently often, usually half out of one of their burrow openings, sometimes I catch them all the way out after leaving the light off for a couple of hours.

I also agree that $95 seems very high, I got all 4 of mine for about $70 when they were 3-3.5" with 3 guaranteed female and 1 male(which is MM now).

Heres a couple of pics of my OBT cages:

MM's Cage:

Female's Cage:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I always love the random webbing they do in the opposite side of the enclosure lol :}

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would also look around for another deal on an OBT because $95.00 is an awful high price to pay even if the OBT is female.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
You can find adult female OBT's for $20. Definetley dont pay more than $40, unless you absolutley need it for a breeding project asap.
As for the wood box thing, forget about it. They will build their webs wherever they want. She might burrow, she might make a tube in the corner, there is no way of knowing, so dont plan on her using a box. When you need to do maintenence, do it in the bathtub so that if she gets out, she wont be able to go far. If you dont feel comfortable with this, then dont get an OBT.

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
$95 for an 5" adult female... too much for an OBT. I would recommend getting a spiderling or two, and growing them up yourself! I got OBTs as freebies with the first two tarantulas I ordered, a little over two years ago. They have matured, and it happened that one was male, the other, female. Now after selling or trading over 250 spiderlings I still have a dozen or so left.
Is it even possible I could be ready for this? Yes, just give them the respect they're due.
How bad are they really? Speed/Aggression. They are extremely fast, and are more than willing to bite. (defensive, not aggressive)
I plan on making a wooden box enclosure... that will more than likely become buried in extensive webbing.
I plan to change the substrate once every 7-9 months and the "hide" maybe every 15-18 months. Is that about right? This is one of those personal choice things, that you will develop a feeling for. The less you disturb the spider, the 'happier' it'll be.
Will she even use the box? Maybe yes, maybe no.
And lastly what's the best Temp/Humidity for them? Temperature and humidity do not appear to be that big of a deal, as OBTs exist in cooler mountain elevations as well as hot scrublands . I keep my OBTs at room temperature (~69 - ~75), never worried about humidity, and successfully raised two s'lings to produce another generation.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jonnyquong's answer is excellent. The only thing I'd add is that you might consider a sling instead of an adult. They're tough even as slings, grow relatively quickly, and cost much less than what you are thinking of spending. If a big bitey thing makes you nervous, maybe a small bitey thing would allow you to get used to the spider and the idea more comfortably. (But I rarely get adult animals anyway - I prefer watching them grow up.)

LordPofas

Arachnopeon
I've had my first OBT for 4 days now. Very unpredictable I must say. He/she decided to make it's home in it's water bowl, seems to have dumped the water out somehow overnight. It likes to go into an air biting frenzy if I so much as touch the enclosure. My advice is to get very long tongs for maintenance and a tattoo style quirt bottle for watering. Those items have kept me safe so far.

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
Understandable that $95 is a bit "much". However, I didn't add how she's $95. She is actually $60, but shipping (Live Arrival Guarantee/Next Day Delivery) is $35. So that's where the $95 comes into play. If I do anything in the bathtub she can still run out of the tub though right? And how am I suppose to catch her if she does get away? Less I disturb the happier she will be... Is it possible that I may never have to do a "full clean" of her cage? And lastly, do the larger 5.5 Gallon size Glass Aquariums come with a top like the Critter Keepers do? Those little window tops I mean.

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
This is a picture of her that was taken by the company. This is the actual OBT I would be getting. That is if she isn't sold by the time I decide if I'm going too get her. That brings up one other question. I'm using this picture for my profile pic here on Arachnoboards, but I don't see it at all. Does it take a bit to get approved or something?

Attachments

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If I do anything in the bathtub she can still run out of the tub though right? .
Re-housing my P. murinus have never been a problem for me. The mature and large juvie P. murinus aren't able to crawl out of my bathtub (it seems). However, the smaller juvies and slings have absolutely no problems doing so. Advice to you, however, would be: Prepare for IF she can... just in case.

She's very good looking!

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is a picture of her that was taken by the company. This is the actual OBT I would be getting. That is if she isn't sold by the time I decide if I'm going too get her. That brings up one other question. I'm using this picture for my profile pic here on Arachnoboards, but I don't see it at all. Does it take a bit to get approved or something?
You have to be a paid member to use a custom pic, such as that one.

And like others have said, that is WAY too much to pay, even for a guaranteed female. Keep shopping around.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had my ~1 inch OBT sling about 3 weeks now. I can certainly attest to their reported speed! I was all prepared with catch cup, planned OBT enclosure and shipping vial containing tiny OBT all in a large Rubbermaid container to prevent escapes... Upon removal from the vial, said sling proceeded to lead me on a merry chase out of the tub and around the room, ultimately ending up in a condiment cup intended for a different sling. It lived in the condiment cup for 10 days before I got up nerve enough to transfer it into its intended enclosure. (That rehousing went better.)

OBT will have similar requirements as the GBB. They like it dry. I drilled small holes near the bottom of my enclosures and use a syringe to moisten substrate on one side of the bottom when it appears completely dry. This provides some humidity without mucking up their preferred dry substrate at the top. Then they can choose to burrow down to damp or not. Most T's will adapt to whatever temp you are comfortable at.

IMO, even $60 is high...

And what Bill S said:

...consider a sling instead of an adult. They're tough even as slings, grow relatively quickly, and cost much less than what you are thinking of spending. If a big bitey thing makes you nervous, maybe a small bitey thing would allow you to get used to the spider and the idea more comfortably. (But I rarely get adult animals anyway - I prefer watching them grow up.)
This was my reasoning in getting a bitty bitey thing.:)

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
P. mirinus (Usumbara Baboon Tarantula)

PLEASE HELP ME! I am so very lost & kunfewzed.
So once again I find myself debating an OBT. I found a good deal ($20 for a 1 1/2" sling). Plus I also found a collector in my area that may take it from me if I feel uncomfortable or too scared too keep it. So I will now break everything down for you step by step...
I am new to the hobby yes. I have 1 Tarantula right now. A 1 1/2" Green Bottle Blue! She is wonderful! I want one arboreal and am planing a Pink Toe for that one. However, I continue to be drawn to the OBT! I can't seem to shake it. The stories spook the crap out of me, and I'll probably worry every time I open the container to feed it, but I can't get the idea out of my head! So here are my following questions...
1) Is it the worst choice for a 2nd T? Is it even the worst choice for a Beginner OW?
2) Speed. How fast are they? Honestly?
3) If I keep it in a deli cup, can I safely open the lid too feed it without the worry of it trying too escape? For example... My GBB stays quite still once I get the lid of her Deli Cup open. She doesn't make a run for it. Just sits there and grabs the mealworm when I drop it in. Will my OBT act in the same way?
4) Terrestrial/Sub Burrowers. Are they Arboreal at all? If I do have to worry about #3 can I place them in a taller deli cup?
5) I plan to house all 3 of my T's together in 1 Large Critter Keeper. In separate Deli Containers of course. I will be placing all 3 Deli Cups in the Critter Keeper though so I can easily watch my gauges. Humidity/Temp. Can a GBB, a Pinktoe (or another Beginner NW Arboreal of sorts), and an OBT be taken care of basically the same? Same Humidity and Temperatures about?
6) During cage maintainance do I have to worry about escapes or attacks? But most important... How do I change the water (when it becomes an adult) without getting attacked? And how will I possibly ever do a full substrate change!?!
Please let me know everything you can too aid me in my decision process. I am seriously thinking of ordering it on Wednesday. Thank you.
Sincerely, RatKing216.

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
1. No it's not the worst choice but definitely not the best since they're rather fast and very defensive
2. Faster than you can react, my MM is incredibly fast but not defensive at all. My females aren't as fast but won't hesitate to bite.
3.Can it sit still while you open the deli cup yes, if you count on that you'll have a loose tarantula. Mine tend to be calm till their home is disturbed but after that don't count on it.
4.An obt does what it wants and really doesn't stick to any rules, that being said none of my 6 act arboreal they usually web a ton or dig
5.when they're larger your obt and gbb will need similar care. The arboreal will likely need much higher humidity.
6.Very much so. I use tongs abd remove the water dish and for substrate changes I use a catch cup as if I were rehousing.

Lastly $20 isn't a great deal you can find them much cheaper

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My suggestion would be to give yourself some more time and get comfortable with what you have now and read all you can concerning OBT`S.If you are this unsure of your self owning one then and are new like you said,be patient and get some experience and confidence before you jump into an OBT so you don`t get bit or the spider gets harmed.The OBT`S are readily available when you are ready.

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Agree with the above 2 posts, just like to add that OBTs will act both arboreal and terrestrial, my all hung out at the top of their enclosures, but since I didn't give them an arboreal set up, they mad burrows instead, they can go either way. I got my first OBT about 1 inch as my like 5th species of T without any hesitation, the sling would run more than it will bite, my adults act in the opposite, I was moving my MM yesterday and he bit the straw i was using at least 20 times, i eventually just gave up as he wasn't going to go into my females enclosure like I wanted. You sound very hesitant, so honestly like the above says you probably shouldn't get one until you feel more comfortable especially since you say your going to be too scared to open the lid.

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
I don't think it's a matter of being too scared to open the lid, as much as it is too scared of it escaping. But I'm planning on opening the lid while it remains in the Critter Keeper. So even if it does get out of that, it then has to get out of the CK as well.