Pterinochilus murinus growth?

VoiletVenom

Arachnopeon
I recently bought my first T's one of which is the *legendary* OBT, I bought it as a sling a few days ago and it's doing fine, turned into a pet hole already. My question is how fast should I expect it to grow ? I'm bad with dimensions but I'd say it's under an inch at the moment. Should I expect a big angry spider in a few months time? Or will it get to about 1.5/2" and slow down and take awhile to get to an impressive size? Pic related, current enclosure

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
well, a big reason we dont recommend those to beginner is the growth speed. expect a MM within a year or a good sized female.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They really, really grow fast. And they're (almost) bulletproof, little orange tanks on eight legs.

This (grow speed) is one of the reasons why I've never saw here in Italy someone (let's say someone not to good with Theraphosidae anatomy nor with the exuvia sex I.D) that wanted a P.murinus female, ending up with a male instead, unlike with other T's.

While not exactly the best for start, always with careful mode "On" and nothing bad will happens: they aren't IMO the 'orange evil beasts' always depicted.

VoiletVenom

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info. It'll be fun watching this one turn into a orange beauty. I understand how they might be a bit much for a noob but I'm pretty confident, it's one of my first T's but not my first exotic invertebrate, I've kept scolopendra subspinipes among other things in the past and I'd say I'm prepared for whatever this little guy (?) can throw at me

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for the info. It'll be fun watching this one turn into a orange beauty. I understand how they might be a bit much for a noob but I'm pretty confident, it's one of my first T's but not my first exotic invertebrate, I've kept scolopendra subspinipes among other things in the past and I'd say I'm prepared for whatever this little guy (?) can throw at me
centipedes are a walk in the park to rehouse compared to fast defensive ow tarantulas. unlike centipedes, these guys climb walls.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, at least those (P.murinus) aren't IMO nowhere near escape masters like a S.subspinipes :-s

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Expect a medium fast growing T throughout its whole life. Very short lived if male. It will more than likely evade you and be skittish. It will throw a huff. It with bite if provoked. They have bad rep in hobby but they are not as bad mannered as folks make them out to be.

Last edited: