Pterinochilus confusion

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please could someone clear up the Pterinochilus murinus and Pterinochilus spinifer taxonomy for me? Are they the same species or just different colour morphs of the same species? I thought i'd heard that Pterinochilus spinifer isn't a real species, just a red morph of Pterinochilus murinus, and shouldn't be sold as such, but i often see it for sale. Whats the story? Do they require the same environmental conditions? Thank you.

Cheers,

Dan.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by danread
Please could someone clear up the Pterinochilus murinus and Pterinochilus spinifer taxonomy for me? Are they the same species or just different colour morphs of the same species? I thought i'd heard that Pterinochilus spinifer isn't a real species, just a red morph of Pterinochilus murinus, and shouldn't be sold as such, but i often see it for sale. Whats the story? Do they require the same environmental conditions? Thank you.

Cheers,

Dan.
I just bought a P.spinifer yesterday. And the store called it a Feather legged baboon. I looked it up and its common name is Stout leg baboon. It has big fluffy hind legs.

Ernie

Attachments

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i am not sure about the species distinction, but I am pretty sure all members of the genus Pterinochilus are from the same type of environment(dry scrubland or savanah)

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats wierd, on some sites i've looked at P. spinifer is sold under the name of Usumbara Red Baboon, which i've heard is a morph of the starburst baboon. Here's a pic of what i've seen P. spinifer for sale as:

Attachments

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been searching the net trying to find an answer to this. What i've found is that American wedsites are selling P. spinifer as the featherleg or stout legged baboon, and British sites are selling P. spinifer as the Usumbara red baboon or the red arboreal baboon. This has just added to my confusion, is there a right or wrong in this or has the Pterinochilus species not been properly classified yet?

Cheers,

Dan.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dan,
The T I have is a E. longiceps.
Kelly Swift knew what it was by the picture. I was confused.
Sorry.:confused:

Ernie