pterinochilus chordatus dehydration?

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
i paid 25 pounds for her. i took the body back yesterday and got a replacement, a little smaller but better than nothing. when i bought her, she had only just been delivered in, so initially i put the docileness down to travel stress and/or a cold spell during transport. but after a few hours and a warm environment i knew something was a miss. the pet store immediately ordered us another as soon as they got the email, they are a truly awesome pet store (scales and fangs) in southend on sea, were they to have rehoused the t, they would have known there was a problem and not sold her. we have bought about 30 t's from that shop and this is the only 1 we have ever encountered a problem with. i did do my best, i always will for any animal in my care. thanks for the thoughts everyone :)

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you're attending SEAS next Sunday (30 Jan) you could ask Lee from TSS about this

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that most of the larger spiders in pet shops are WC and maybe it had something internal going on. Often I see some interesting spiders at one of my LPS' and if I want one of them I usually wait a few months or it molts just to be a bit safer. Of course I am about the only one in town who would buy half the stuff. They had some spiders there for 5 years.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
im working next weekend or i would go :( the thing im gettin is that the spider shop (where it was originally from) sell w/c t's, when there is absolutely no need for it. Its not like the market isnt saturated with pterinochilus anyway, they breed so easily you can literally talk them into dropping a sac. They are as cheap as rose hairs. Its a big risk for scrimping the extra couple of quid, and for a huge distributor in t's, i think thats wrong in so many ways. Some of the diseases some of them have, iv heard entire collections getting ill because someone handled their new w/c, then crickets, which were fed to the other t's, then bam, all the t's seriously ill. Just goes to show, you could buy from me, who you dont know from adam, and i wil sell you some awesome captive bred specimens. However, buying from a hugely popular and well known franchise like spider shop could land you a wrong un. :wall:

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
FYI: TSS is a wholesaler, not a franchise. Some of those Pterinochilus are CB and some WC, I too don't see the reason for wild caught Pterinochilus apart from the desire to have pure breeds but none of these species are in any worrying decline.

Sorry to go off topic but what species do you breed?

Mez

Arachnoknight
Also, TSS is a supplier (one of the UKs best) not a breeder. He offers a wide range of wc and cb arachnids at a good price, and always sorts out any problems in my experience.
Just out of curiosity, what makes you buy from a local retail store rather than from him directly online?
Also, what's this mystery disease that is either zoonotic or airbound if it can transfer to other Ts via humans? I've never heard of anything like that and wasn't even aware that enough research had been carried out so as a hobbyist could diagnose a disease on a Tarantula, let alone one that can be passed via humans.
Cheers
James

Last edited: