pterinochilus chordatus dehydration?

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
hi everyone,
we bought a p. Chordatus from our lps earlier. It was new stock that had just arrived. We saw he wasnt moving a great deal when we bought him but we put that down to travel stress. However when we got her'i think its a she' home we noticed how much her legs were curled under :( the back mainly seemed to be the biggest problem, as she seems to want to do a buckaroo impression, putting her fangs on the floor and back legs in the air. When we got her home she was grasped round her water bowl, but it was so muddy and grubby i just immediately, took the water bowl out, picked her up 'i was able to! A big p. Chordatus! Thats how sluggish she is' and placed her straight, fangs down into a clean water bowl in a warm, wet I.C.U. She has been in there for roughly 6 hours now, iv been checking every 15 mins to make sure her abdomen isnt submerged. She moved away from the water dish, i put her back there, then later she moved away again so i have left her alone now. She seemed to be dead 1 minute, then the other she would walk fast accross the bed. She sits in the corner of the icu, stil some leg curl tho. The abdomen looks thin but nothing mega drastic. Any thoughts ideas please? Im keeping her in the I.C.U. at least until tomorrow afternoon and just hoping. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

also:
it is not a mature male dying, it has no palpal bulbs.
It is not bleeding or injured, i have checked thoroughly.
All i can think of is dehydration

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How big is she? Could be a possibility that she is WC, or a trade of an older specimen that may be on the way out from old age.

Having her in the ICU is definitely a plus if it is dehydration. I read of some who will actually place the T on it's back and use a medicine dropper to rehydrate, by slowly placing droplets directly on the mouth.

And if so could you post a pic of her sitting, etc.? It could help some determine what may be the issue (identify any dehydration,mites, etc)

Last edited:

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
hi thanks i will post a pic of her later. She is around 5 and a half inch leg to leg, i did think about old age too. It just seems strange she really looks very dead and unresponsive one minute but moves a lot and climbs out if u mist in the i.c.u. The abdomen is quite thin and have tried tong feeding a little cricket but wasnt interested.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

my lps get all their ts from the spider shop so i dont think she is wc. I also laid her on her back and tried to get her to drink for about 20 mins. She didnt seem to actually make any water disappear and laid like she was 'dead' or 'moulting'. But walked a little when turned back over

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I hope she gets better for you. Maybe a pic will help everyone tell what's going on with her... good luck

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my lps get all their ts from the spider shop so i dont think she is wc.
The Spider Shop don't have any P. chordatus for sale right now, but they do have P. murinus and P. lugardi. Both are listed as WC so it is a possibility in this case.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
first one is when she looks dead. then the second one is when you touch her leg and she walks. the third one isto show just how bad she is :( i triedto get herto drink this way. shes still in the i.c.u. thanks for all your thoughts.

Last edited:

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
also, when she does move, she seems to be strong and fully alert, and then seems to, sort of, fall asleep :? she climbed out of the i.c.u earlier, then hung on the side, then i could see her slowly slipping down like she lost consciousness, then spread out again :? im not ruling out severe d.k.s here either :( just odd behaviour it is. im leaving her well alone now, at least until tomorrow tea time

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Well, I'm no expert, but it certainly looks like dehydration is part of the problem anyway, so . . . good plan with the ICU - - I hope she recovers for you.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah definitely keep her in ICU and in a nice quite, dark place for a while. Her rump is rather sad looking and unless she had a rupture of some sort, definitely looks severely dehydrated. Keep us posted, and good luck.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
will post again in around 20 hours and let you know, thanks again all. not looking good i dont think :(

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd have to agree that it looks like dehydration is part of the problem. Try putting her mouth right over a small puddle of water, with her abdomen propped up just a little so it's not resting in the water. That way she can get a big drink if she wants. You may even be able to do it without moving her, if you just pour a little water into the ICU and angle the ICU itself just a little.

Hope she pulls through for you :(

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh yeah, that poor guy looks dehydrated. If it gets really bad you can pinch grab and drop some water droplets into its mouth. Although I would only do that in a worst come worst situation.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
nope lost her :( i tried everything. All day trying everything possible, the fangs were in the water bowl, on her back with droplets of water on the fangs, sugary water droplets, no good. Her heart was still beating around 4pm but i checked again at half past and she had gone. The pet shop has a replacement arriving for me on wednesday. Its not the point tho, my l.p.s was sold a severely mistreated spider, by a huge dealer. Its not like it was a slight mishap, that problem would have been evident weeks ago, but, hey ho, lets send it anyway. If it had a wet moult, theres still no reason for it to have gone unnoticed or noticed, then ignored. Any way you look at it, its mistreatment, carelessness, and cruelty. Anyhow, rant over. Thanks everyone.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to read that she died. Hopefully next time wont be such a trouble.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
will u be going back to the pet store with the dead t to reclaim u'r money or at least show the ignorant pet store owner what went wrong and tell him he's going to tarantula hell.i know i would

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

but i'm so sorry for u'r loss man

Mez

Arachnoknight
Take it back to the shop IMO..did you point out it looked bad when purchasing?