Psalmopoeus victori price?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Can any one explain to me the rather over inflated price for these guys? Why are they regularly well over 100 sometimes over 150 for far less than a inch sling?

Are they hard to breed? Produce small sacks? Priced just cause they can? Or is it just because they are relatively new in the hobby and like everything new a big price rage gets slapped on slings?

I cant see how such a fast growing species that would hit breeding maturity faster could be priced so high, unless hardly any were in the hobby.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
They're expensive because of the demand and colors. I don't own this species, but I heard they grow quick and are easy to breed. They can also double clutch which is common in the Psalmopoeus genus, so they're being produced quite quickly and readily. So that explains why prices for this species dropped like 40% since a year or two ago. They're still expensive, but are becoming more affordable at a fast rate, so I wouldn't be complaining about them being overpriced or inflated just yet.

I do agree that prices online are severely inflated. But this doesn't include local prices as I always see fair or negotiable prices locally. Selling online takes a lot of effort, time, and money and it's way more effort than selling locally. If you lived in my state, I'll probably give you some of the most fair or negotiable prices in comparison to most online prices.

I cant see how such a fast growing species that would hit breeding maturity faster could be priced so high, unless hardly any were in the hobby.
In all honesty, I support lower prices, but I understand why online prices are inflated. An example is that I wholesale T.'s and prices are usually half or lower than retail value when wholesale. Well here's an example: I believe C. versicolor slings are worth $20 and not the $30-$40 price range. But if I sell C. versicolor slings at $20 as retail then that's where the problem begins. You got slings with you and you have to sell them individually, which you then have to purchase boxes, Styrofoam, paper towels, and shipping containers along with the feeders, etc. Then as you sell individually, there's a chance that one or a few will not make the shipping journey, regardless if healthy or not. This can result in lost of money and a waste of time and effort.

Now here's an easier solution: wholesale all C. versicolor slings at $20 a sling and problem solve. You got the money for what you think they're worth for each sling in one shipping, but sadly, now everyone has to pay the $30-$40 price range for a C. versicolor that was bought wholesale from me. And yes, I do sell wholesale and I understand things like this, so I feel the frustration of the customers, but this is for the better of me. If I ever do sell retail at fair prices then it would only be at local events and shows and will most likely never be online. And if I do sell online, then it means that prices will be extremely fair or dirt cheap which will sell out fast most likely.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It comes down to they are colorful, so keepers want them more than a brown tarantula. Demand = higher price. I've seen tarantulas species I bought for cheap suddenly increase in price when they became popular on here and in FB groups/YouTube etc. Pricing of goods usually does not have a lot to do with rarity or production cost. It is more about what people are willing to pay to have the latest tend item. I can name you several species that were cheap till they became a trend T to own on here and FB groups. After that they increase in price as they became more sought after.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Supply and demand at its finest. With a little added taxes because of color.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It comes down to they are colorful, so keepers want them more than a brown tarantula. Demand = higher price.
Yeah it’s just I don’t even think P. victori is all that super colorful to begin with. There are more colorful tarantulas for a lot less.
It is more about what people are willing to pay to have the latest tend item.
Yeah I think it’s kinda crazy what people are willing to pay for species especially slings. Trends are crazy.....
I’m just going to have to wait for some species I’ll never pay over 100 for a 1/2-3/4in sling.

Supply and demand at its finest. With a little added taxes because of color.
I’ll just be waiting a few years on them then till it’s saturated and the desire goes down lol

They're expensive because of the demand and colors. I don't own this species, but I heard they grow quick and are easy to breed. They can also double clutch which is common in the Psalmopoeus genus, so they're being produced quite quickly and readily. So that explains why prices for this species dropped like 40% since a year or two ago. They're still expensive, but are becoming more affordable at a fast rate, so I wouldn't be complaining about them being overpriced or inflated just yet.

I do agree that prices online are severely inflated. But this doesn't include local prices as I always see fair or negotiable prices locally. Selling online takes a lot of effort, time, and money and it's way more effort than selling locally. If you lived in my state, I'll probably give you some of the most fair or negotiable prices in comparison to most online prices.

In all honesty, I support lower prices, but I understand why online prices are inflated. An example is that I wholesale T.'s and prices are usually half or lower than retail value when wholesale. Well here's an example: I believe C. versicolor slings are worth $20 and not the $30-$40 price range. But if I sell C. versicolor slings at $20 as retail then that's where the problem begins. You got slings with you and you have to sell them individually, which you then have to purchase boxes, Styrofoam, paper towels, and shipping containers along with the feeders, etc. Then as you sell individually, there's a chance that one or a few will not make the shipping journey, regardless if healthy or not. This can result in lost of money and a waste of time and effort.

Now here's an easier solution: wholesale all C. versicolor slings at $20 a sling and problem solve. You got the money for what you think they're worth for each sling in one shipping, but sadly, now everyone has to pay the $30-$40 price range for a C. versicolor that was bought wholesale from me. And yes, I do sell wholesale and I understand things like this, so I feel the frustration of the customers, but this is for the better of me. If I ever do sell retail at fair prices then it would only be at local events and shows and will most likely never be online. And if I do sell online, then it means that prices will be extremely fair or dirt cheap which will sell out fast most likely.
Well I would definitely buy from you if I was local I like how you function. I agree with your model.

and yeah I’m in no rush to get one I’ll never pay those kind of prices. No sling is actual worth what some people are willing to pay.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I see them listed at TaratulaCanada at 150CAD for 1/2. I thought it looked a bit pricey haha.
That’s like approx. 100 US. Which is actually cheaper than what I’ve been seeing recently. Either way still pricey

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I just bought two slings at $80 CAD each, from a recent EU import. That's the cheapest I've seen them here in Canada, and a price I was willing to spend.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I just bought two slings at $80 CAD each, from a recent EU import. That's the cheapest I've seen them here in Canada, and a price I was willing to spend.
That’s a pretty good price, that’s about the most I’d be willing to pay as well.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
That’s a pretty good price, that’s about the most I’d be willing to pay as well.
I think your plan to give it a year or so is a good one. Psalmopoeus breed very readily, and mature very quickly. It won't be long before they are common and cheaper. I doubt they will get down to P. irminia or P. cambridgei prices due to their colour, but definitely much more affordable.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I’ll just be waiting a few years on them then till it’s saturated and the desire goes down lol
Same. I won’t pay over 40 bucks for one so I will have to wait also lol.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Same. I won’t pay over 40 bucks for one so I will have to wait also lol.
Yeah I’m the same way, I just refuse to pay high prices. There’s no need to break the bank on a sling. I’m a budget kinda hobbyist.

cold blood

Staff member
Now here's an easier solution: wholesale all C. versicolor slings at $20 a sling and problem solve
yeah, that would be great, but dealer wholesale pricing is like 5 bucks each, not 20.

______
As said, prices for victorii are coming down, but even with current breeding, supply hasnt cone close to meeting demand....when supply reaches demand, thats when we will see the real price drop.

I applaud anyone breeding the species...every sac helps.

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
yeah, that would be great, but dealer wholesale pricing is like 5 bucks each, not 20.
Depends on how many and how large you have to to offer. When it comes to C. versicolor, it normally ranges in the $15-$20 wholesale wise IME, since the numbers are not that large for sacs in comparison to most other NW T,'s. On a good sac you can get maybe a little over 100 but most are normally consistent at around 75-100 range. C. versicolor isn't one to deal for $5 if you're wholesaling to online dealer IME. I can put most Nhandu, Grammos, Brachys, and Psalmos in that range or for less, but I wouldn't put C. versicolor that low if you're dealing with online dealers across the US. If locally, then it's possible for $5, but if online then it's a different breed of business.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Because the US is huge and even with their fast growth and ease of breeding it'll still be a while until supply exceeds demand. In the UK they were over £100 a sling when they first became available here, within a year the price had dropped to £50, they're like £30 a pop now.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can any one explain to me the rather over inflated price for these guys? Why are they regularly well over 100 sometimes over 150 for far less than a inch sling?

Are they hard to breed? Produce small sacks? Priced just cause they can? Or is it just because they are relatively new in the hobby and like everything new a big price rage gets slapped on slings?

Its greed. I know people who have them, and one good friend who knows a breeder.

It’s greed.

Also once upon a time when some AB members weren’t even a thought in their parents’ minds new species weren’t always expensive let alone 100$ or more! Sometimes they weren’t expensive because no one knew much about them!

It’s only since H pulchripes where new species were automatically “rare” and Uber expensive. The entire pricing scheme with off the wall prices is relatively new.

Sure before that species there pricey Ts! But new Ts weren’t pricey all the time like they are now. The market has changed for the worse.

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah I’m the same way, I just refuse to pay high prices. There’s no need to break the bank on a sling. I’m a budget kinda hobbyist.
Well, I have to take back what I said. :) I just got myself 3 of them for Christmas and let me tell you the colors I see on them already are amazing. At 2 inches they are starting to get the half and half color. Serious webber’s too. Hopefully some are male and female. Being a hardy species, I talked myself into paying a little more.