Psalmopoeus pulcher questoins

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus pulcher questions

I've recently found these for sale as spiderlings, and am looking to acquire one within the next fortnight.

I'm generally well-read on tarantulas, but am finding P pulcher information hard to come by compared to other members of the genus.

Does anyone have any useful information on their care, lifespan and temerament?

About all I can find is that they are fast - and owning an Usambara I know all about just how fast a spider can move when it wants to....

Last edited:

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
there is a link

below, in the thread "Starter aboreals"...for the ATS, that mentions them a couple times...it is more a general info site, but does offer some housing info.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: Psalmopoeus pulcher questions

Originally posted by Lopez
I've recently found these for sale as spiderlings, and am looking to acquire one within the next fortnight.

I'm generally well-read on tarantulas, but am finding P pulcher information hard to come by compared to other members of the genus.

Does anyone have any useful information on their care, lifespan and temerament?

About all I can find is that they are fast - and owning an Usambara I know all about just how fast a spider can move when it wants to....
I've had one for 4 years as of this August whom I acquired as a CB adult. She's fairly reclusive; I usually see her out of her retreat only in the evening hours and at night. I've never witnessed anything remotely agressive in her behavior. If she feels threatened, she just dashes for her retreat.

I've never had any success getting her to eat pinkies. Her foods of choice are crickets, superworms, and occasionally an anole (though I'm not sure I will feed any more anoles, having heard of incidences of their injuring tarantulas).

Her vivarium is well ventilated. Humidity is supplied by a large water dish with an undertank heater below it. I've caught her drinking from her dish now and then.

In a nutshell, care of this species IME is pretty much the same as for Pokes, or for any other Psalmopoeus.

Joy

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dont have a P.pulcher, but I do have a P.cambridgei,irminia, and a reduncus. I love Psalmopoeus. they were my first arborials. mine are in very tall jars with a piece of plastic that goes from the bottom of the substrate to the top of the jar at a angle.my temps are right at 74-78 degrees. lots of air holes for ventilation. They are very fast.Very active and just beutiful.good luck
Doug

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
P. pulcher can be rather defensive and prone to biting in a 'hey, there's a spider glued to my hand biting me' sort of way. The juveniles and spiderlings I've had usually reared up whenever food or other activity disturbed their space. In this sense, I find them pretty much in line with other species of Psalmopoeus.

bill

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Psalmopoeus pulcher questions

Originally posted by Lopez

Lopez,
What is a fortnight? Time wise.

Ernie

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't you have fortnights in America? :? :D

2 weeks. :)