Psalmopoeus Old/New World Debate

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Reddit isn’t know for any valid information...
After reading this thread, I went over to take a look at the tarantula subreddit (I'm a member, but I am never on reddit) and I could not believe the HUGE tarantulas that people were posting photos of. Good grief, they were so huge that it looked like they were pulling a golf ball around. No wonder people think that a normal sized tarantula is dying of starvation, with people posting photos of clearly overfed tarantulas and nobody says a damn thing about it.
Unbelievable.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I literally imagined a tiny little spider dragging a golf ball abdomen around. what a sight that would be.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
After reading this thread, I went over to take a look at the tarantula subreddit (I'm a member, but I am never on reddit) and I could not believe the HUGE tarantulas that people were posting photos of. Good grief, they were so huge that it looked like they were pulling a golf ball around. No wonder people think that a normal sized tarantula is dying of starvation, with people posting photos of clearly overfed tarantulas and nobody says a damn thing about it.
Unbelievable.
My 600 g. life.

SquidStina

Arachnopeon
Unbelievable.
I use reddit, and used to subscribe to the tarantula subreddit, but the overwhelming number of times it just made my blood pressure go up was awful. I saw way too many pictures of people holding hothouse tomato sized Ts 47 feet off of a hardwood floor. Or Ts in 12 foot tall enclosures with half a teaspoon of substrate at the bottom.
..Maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but there was a pic of someone holding a freshly molted (still white) T, and I couldn't be there anymore without having an aneurysm.

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This person also mentioned that Psalmopoeus are old worlds, despite being found in the Americas. When I asked for supporting info on that, they linked me to a 10 year old reptile forum post where a few people tried to speculate based on morphology and Psalmopoeus having slightly more potent venom.
This statment sounds like a bad summary of the old discussion about the question in which subfamily of the Theraphosidae the genus Psalmopoeus belongs to.
The genus moves from Aviculariinae, to the "OW-subfamily" Selenocsmiinae based on the presence of a maxillary lyra, and absence of urticating hairs on the opisthosoma (RAVEN 1985), to Sinurticaninae (SAMM & SCHMIDT 2008), to to Psalmopoeinae (SCHMIDT 2010).

For the current status see LÜDDECKE et al. 2018.