Psalmopoeus Old/New World Debate

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Hi all! I was browsing a subreddit the other day and someone had gotten a P. reduncus as their first T. I can't really talk because my reduncus was only my second tarantula, but that's a little spicy for a first T. This person also mentioned that Psalmopoeus are old worlds, despite being found in the Americas. When I asked for supporting info on that, they linked me to a 10 year old reptile forum post where a few people tried to speculate based on morphology and Psalmopoeus having slightly more potent venom.

I'm a new-world-only keeper, because of my cat and partner, so imagine my shock when there's someone absolutely insisting that a species I keep is old world. I just wanted to see if anyone on here had seen discussions about this in the past, and see what everyone's thoughts are on a T from the Americas being an old world. Thanks in advance!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Reddit isn't known for valid scientific information...
Yet There sure are a large majority of people over there who think they know everything. One thing Ive learned from lurking that place is that everyone is an expert in their field. I hate reddit haha

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Old world is simply locations, even if psalmopeous species had the most potent venom in the world, their location prevents them from being an old world species.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi all! I was browsing a subreddit the other day and someone had gotten a P. reduncus as their first T. I can't really talk because my reduncus was only my second tarantula, but that's a little spicy for a first T. This person also mentioned that Psalmopoeus are old worlds, despite being found in the Americas. When I asked for supporting info on that, they linked me to a 10 year old reptile forum post where a few people tried to speculate based on morphology and Psalmopoeus having slightly more potent venom.

I'm a new-world-only keeper, because of my cat and partner, so imagine my shock when there's someone absolutely insisting that a species I keep is old world. I just wanted to see if anyone on here had seen discussions about this in the past, and see what everyone's thoughts are on a T from the Americas being an old world. Thanks in advance!
That person is not intelligent. Psalmo NW/OW is not up for debate. People who "debate" this are willfully stupid or ignorant. The latter is fine, the former is unacceptable.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
What's Reddit?
Is that like MyFace?
Or Cuckbook?
Kinda. It’s similar to 4chan. But you have what is referred to as subreddits. They are essentially channels for a whole host of different topics. They use a upvote downvote system for comments. In my personal opinion, it creates a group think mentality and in a sense makes everyone act a certain way all for useless internet karma. People get caught up on the point system and act like they have seniority over others. Personally it’s weird to me. But then again.. AB is about the extent of any social media I use. That I actually interact on. At the extent of not stirring the pot, let’s just say I got banned from the tarantula subreddit for telling people their husbandry was atrocious. That upset the hive mind.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
The only thing I learnt from looking at the comments on Tarantulas on Reddit, is that there are an awful lot of people who keep them, yet don't know a whole lot about them

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Thanks everyone! I kinda figured this person just didn't know what they were talking about, but I'm still new to the hobby and didn't want to assume I knew everything there was to know. If anybody is interested in seeing the original post or the "evidence" they presented, just for giggles, let me know!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Thanks everyone! I kinda figured this person just didn't know what they were talking about, but I'm still new to the hobby and didn't want to assume I knew everything there was to know. If anybody is interested in seeing the original post or the "evidence" they presented, just for giggles, let me know!
That’s why you’re here asking. To verify that you are correct in your thinking. Nothing wrong with that in the least bit.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
NW/OW simply refers to where the tarantula is from, its physical characteristics/behaviour don't matter one jot in this regard, if it's from Africa/Asia/Europe/Oceania then it's an OW, if it's from Central/South America then it's a NW.

If scientists discovered a Kenyan species with urticating hairs and mild venom it'd still be an old world species. Likewise, if scientists discovered a Venezuelan species that was hyper-defensive and had the most potent venom of any tarantula it'd still be a new world species.

Last edited:

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. As long as humans exist there will never be a shortage of idiots. Although... maybe you could send this person a link to a rudimentary geography site?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Just as a footnote. The designation of being either Old World, or New World, is not only used in our hobby. It is a designation used a lot when speaking about animals. Old World versus New World monkeys is still the first thing that comes to my mind after tarantulas. There is also a lot about OW vs NW snakes, particularly boas. And last, but certainly not least, it is a designation used a lot with wine manufacturing.
In all cases the definition of both are exactly the same and nothing is going to change that.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Can I throw another stupid question into the mix? Why is OW called OW and NW called NW?
The continents of Africa*, Asia*, Europe*, and Oceania are referred to as the old world (OW). the Americas are known as the new world (NW).

*Collectively known as "Afro-Eurasia" or "the World Island" back in the day before people figured out that America was a thing.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Reddit isn't known for valid scientific information...
Reddit isn’t know for any valid information....

You never know who’s on the other side, so if you choose to take Reddit seriously ever, do so with the understanding that you should come here and ask the folks that specialize in those types of questions (myself excluded, new to hobby hehe).