• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Psalmopoeus irminia

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mating on 12-29-05. My female paired with male on loan from Surena. Female and male both approx. 5" legspan.

Male placed in "transfer container" and moved beside the female's container. He was prodded towards her and after a few moments of being in her container began drumming. Female came out from behind her webbing and also began drumming.

No aggression showed by either male or female. They mated 3 seperate times with obvious breaks inbetween each "session." The female was very willing and immediately got into position each time and the male drummed on her underside before an insertion. From the time he entered her enclosure to the time he was back in the transfer container was about 30 minutes.

Hopefully I will be able to update this post with good news at some point in the not-too-distant future. :)

UPDATE:
Eggsac discovered on 2/20/06.

Last edited:

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Mated at 8:00am on Jan. 4, 2006. Male was in cage for just shy of 10 minutes. He remained motionless(as far as I could see) at the females burrow enterence until she came out drumming at which time he began drumming too. Both continued drumming throughout entire process. There were 6 insertions consisting of 3 sets of 2 each broken by a slight "break". During the "break" the females fangs remained "locked" by tibial spurs. Both drummed slightly, and the male cleaned palps with fangs. Upon the end of the final insertion the female immediately turned around, and retreated to her burrow. Male was removed.
Temp-70F
humid-Room is kept at 60%. Females cage is kept moist.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ultimately unsuccessful

Mated on 11/23/05. It took about 20 minutes start to finish. The male had some difficulty figuring out how to position her, but witnessed several nice inserts with both palps.

01/23/06 Today, my female is doing a lot of 'cleaning house'. She has ripped up all her vegetation and stacked it over the water dish. :? Maybe this is a good sign? The temps have been steady at 80 degrees and the humidity in her enclosure is 72%, the substrate is completely dry. I've added an extra water dish, just in case. But as swollen as she is, I kinda expect her to start laying any day.

02/14/06 My female is in the process of dropping her eggs. There is a huge pile under her right now. She's been doing this now for an hour, and I can't tell whether she's dropped them on the soil or has a web under them. If there is a web, it's much thinner than I've seen with my other Ts.

This did not go well. She didn't lay enough webbing to be able to roll her sac. There were eggs dribbling out everywhere when she tried to tend it. She ate the sac later that night.

Last edited:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus irminia Breeding 02-20-2006

I would like to introduce a pair of really nice Psalmopoeus irminia !

Mating:
Attempt:1st Successful

Mating Outcome:
No eggsack made before molt.
Female molted out 05-18-2006

Conditions
Temperature: 82 Degrees F
Humidity:53%
Lighting Conditions: Dimmed

Male Psalmopoeus irminia Info: 4 1/2" Matured Male from owner Martin (Darkeye).

Female Psalmopoeus irminia Info: 4 1/2"" Female w/ unknown molt record.

Male was placed into the females enclosure using the cupping method and settled down on the substrate for several minutes. Moved around a bit then approached the female on the other side of the enclosure.

The male picked up on the females scent and did some short drumming. He initiated the mating by some drumming very shortly while "twitching".

He then drummed a bit more and lifted her front legs and pedipalps. He walked her backwards slightly just enough to pull her abdomen closer to him. While doing this he used his pedipalps to drum rapidly on her belly while lifting her up and arching her backwards.

He made 2 good insertions and then bolted.

I then took him out placing him back into his enclosure for future breeding attempts.

Here are a small series of pics showing the T's & what happend during mating.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
06-02-2006 New breeding of sam female with new male

Psalmopoeus irminia Breeding 06-02-2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to introduce a pair of really nice Psalmopoeus irminia !

Mating:
Attempt:1st
Outcome:Successful

Conditions
Temperature: 82 Degrees F
Humidity:74%
Lighting Conditions: Dimmed

Male Psalmopoeus irminia (Pirmi-3) Info: 4" 2nd Matured Male from owner Martin (Darkeye).

Female Psalmopoeus irminia (Primi-1) Info: 5" Female molted 05-18-2006

Male was placed into the females enclosure using the cupping method. He walked onto the cork bark slab that is her hide. He walked around a bit then found the back of the slab where she resides. He contiued to walk down till he came to rest near her.

The male must have picked up on the females scent and did some short drumming. He initiated the mating by some "twitching".

He then drummed a bit more and lifted her front legs and pedipalps. He pushed her downwards and made several insertions and took off.

I then took him out placing him back into his enclosure for future breeding attempts.

Here are a small series of pics showing the T's & the mating.

Enjoy!

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mated 2-9-06
Successful? - Yes, thus far
Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers - Nothing out of the norm aside from feeding the female right before introducing the male.
How they were paired - Male was placed dirrectly, unhindered into female's container.
Any observations on the hookup - Male wondered the container for a while, always staying in an elevated place. Female was in her burrow eating. She reluctentaly came out after the male's insistant tapping. She tapped back but was reluctant to let him approach. He maintained the elevated position (so he could split real fast) and actually pulled her up on to the bark where he lifted her. Two successfull inserts were observed. She tried to strike him immeditally after mating but was unsuccessfull because she had a mouth full of food. Male was removed from the container and she returned to her burrow and continued eating.
Any special post mating care - She was placed in the "breeding room" which is basically just my bedroom where it is more calm, quiet, darker and warmer (about 78 degrees F).
Time to sac - An egg sac was discovered at the bottom of her little burrow on 5-4-06
Care of the sac - The sac is being left with the female since she is not a first time mom and has taken very good care of her sacs in the past.
Time to emerge/hatch - Still waiting

First instar hatched out June 28, 06
Number unknown as of yet until they are seperated.

Last edited by a moderator:

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

male and female put together late at night,male went straight in towards hide and female remained motionless,he tried his best to drum and tap til she came out but she wasnt going to so i dropped the lights even more,so much i could hardly see em,female came right out and chased male,he turned and stopped.Both started drumming and feeling then hooked up for about 45secs and she chased him off again several times so male was removed.Some definate good insertions made.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
P. irminia

Male introduced on 12-2-06. Female was 2 months post molt. Not sure when the male matured.

Immediate drumming/mating was observed. Male cohabitated with female until eggsac was found on 1-27-06. Male was removed as soon as eggsac was seen.

I would like to get opinions from people with more experience as to when they think I should pull the sac. This is my first P. irminia sac.

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The female is ready to mate, she molted in january and is eating very well for the last 40 days, so i got a male to try to mate them.

15/03/07 - I put the males enclosure and the females in front of each other and than openned both doors and sealed the space between them with tape.

19/03/07
- the male is shy, so I take a samall piece of wire and throght the lid screen I made him walk to the females territory, than I separeted one enclosure from the other and let the male stay in the females enclosure for 3 days.
- the males goes to the female and drum on her abdomem before inserting

22/03/07 - I took the male out and put him alone back is his enclosure

I will try again in 7 days

Last edited:

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i made an attempt tonight with my female and a loaned male.(from ironmonkey78)
the male had no clue what to do with her but she was very receptive.
he tried to just crawl under without hooking her fangs and insert. but i couldn't see any clear insertions. she decided to stroll off and make a lap around the outside of her cage. then the male started tapping and seemed upset that he screwed this up. but i removed him and will try again tommorow night.

moose

ohhhhhhhh yea pics... sorry but they are really out of order

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wish I had pictures, but I couldn't get any. I'm sorry.

10-3-07

I introduced the male in with the female, he ended up climbing over her and in a corner all awkward like, but was drumming the entire time, she didn't seem very receptive at all. He jumped from the corner to in front of her and hooked her fangs. I counted 4 attempts and saw 3 clear insertions.

Then she pushed him off, and I dropped a small KK over him to prevent any domestic violence.

I am going to try again tomorrow night as well.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mating observed

On Sept 24th I introduced male into female's cage which is an Exoterra 12x12x18 enclosure. The male cautiously began to head directly towards female's cork tube retreat slowly approaching and drumming.

The female responded by meeting him at the entrance to the tube but was not observed drumming back. After approaching the female several times the mle was successful in lining up in front of her from a higher position. After stroking her and trying to align himself for a few seconds he quickly began to search for her fangs and once in control of her fangs insertion was almost immediate.

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=onCWmFpcI4M[/YOUTUBE]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=onCWmFpcI4M

Unfortunately the male lost his footing and both spiders fell a couple of inches onto a lower perch but they were still connected and soon afterwards he disconnected and both spiders retreated.

Snakeman4life

Hulk Smash
Old Timer
Successful? - Yes

Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers - Female molted several days after I received the male on 50/50 loan. Male observed making a sperm web. The female was given time to harden up and fed well before introducing the male into the females cage. Female has a underground retreat setup. Basically half a wood hollow leaned against the side of the critter carrier. The female opted to build a retreat towards the lower side of the wood placing the entrance to her retreat just above the soil level.

How they were paired - The male was placed into the females cage in the late afternoon with the lights dimmed. Male began to drum upon touching females retreat. Female was stirred and exited retreat to investigate. Female immediatedly accepted the male. I witnessed four really good inserts. The male backed off and the female returned to her retreat. The male was introduced into the females cage a few days later but she was not interested.

Any observations on the hookup - Female was receptive and showed no signs of aggression. When paired up a second time the female reared up and was not interested in the male. The male was removed and sent off to a friend to use.

Any special post mating care - Female was fed heavily. Temperatures ranged from 78-84 degrees F. Humidity was 55-75 %.

Time to sac -The pairing took place on September 27, 2007 and the sac was found on November 14th 2007. 18 days duration.

Care of the sac - The sac was left with the female with plans for her to take care of it till term. Female was not fed during this time. Water was supplied through misting with special care being given to not placing to much water into the retreat thereby increasing chances of coming in contact with the eggsac.

Time to emerge/hatch - 1st instars observed in female's retreat on December 18, 2007. 34 days duration.

The final details - Female was still quite fat when slings were removed. So there is a chance of double-clutching. Wil update on how many molt out into 2nd instars.

Snakeman4life

Hulk Smash
Old Timer
Update

They have now molted into second instars-December 28, 2007.
The final count is around 150-175 with no deaths.