Psalmopoeus Irminia

user 666

Arachnobaron
Ahh, see, I refuse to glue anything in place. First, I want to be able to use them over and over without scraping glue off the sides....second, tarantulas like to re-arrange things, often moving plants and such as they see fit...I like to allow them of this natural opportunity.

Amex boxes are great, they're just not for me, I personally can't stand them.
I plan to use these cases long term, and I don't want to ever have to disturb the tarantulas by moving them just so I can fix the background.

I can add more plants in front, easy, but messing with the background could cause a T to bolt.

Without the 32 oz deli cups I probably wouldn't own half the T's that I own. It would be too painful due to the added cost of other options and lack of availability of a correct size container. I have seen a couple of options that are similar to 16 oz cups (Hobby Lobby softball display case is one), but haven't seen anything similar to 32 oz cups.
There really isn't anything like a quart deli cup in the Hobby lobby display boxes, no. But the 4x4x5 AMAC box does come close. At $3.59 it is a little pricy but it looks good. It is what I am going to standardize on next time I get a chance to go to the nearest Container Store (hopefully next week).

I do understand your point about the cost, but this is a $4 box to hold a $15 to $50 tarantula. It's not a big deal, IMO.

Each one has its pluses depending on what you value. I love the clearness and quality of the Hobby Lobby cases, but all of their arboreal shaped ones require a lot of work. I don't have time to set up 30+ of them to house my tapi and avic slings. I am using several of them for terrestrial T's however. I am figuring that the cost of these containers versus how long they will be housed in them isn't effective. I currently use about 75 deli cups total. I do plan to use high quality containers for all of my adult T's.

I won't buy any more AMAC's. The quality of the ones I bought from the container store was bad (Lid and body don't fit together well).
The AMAC boxes are troublesome, yes. I am finding that the only ones with properly-fitting lids are the ones with the flush lids.

good:
https://www.containerstore.com/category/aMAC?productId=10028594

bad:
https://www.containerstore.com/category/aMAC?productId=10003497

cold blood

Staff member
I plan to use these cases long term, and I don't want to ever have to disturb the tarantulas by moving them just so I can fix the background.

I can add more plants in front, easy, but messing with the background could cause a T to bolt.
I don't see how its any different. Messing with backgrounds...I literally don't even know what you mean, I set them up, the t makes it its home until it out grows the container.

I've never had to mess with anything at all....ever, not once....never had a t bolt from a deli either in all my years, as with a pliable lid I can do what I need without removing the top, just peeling back a small area for access...that's an advantage anything with a rigid top doesn't have and a luxury I absolutely love. Advantage, deli cup.

And long term...lol, I have deli cups that have raised a dozen or more individuals and will continue to do so...they last a really really long time, and the 300+ delis I have cost me less than one single amex box. Once again, advantage deli cup. I'll spend my real $ on ts, not on enclosures:)

Long live the condiment cup, the deli cup and sterilite!!

Jeff23

Arachnolord

There really isn't anything like a quart deli cup in the Hobby lobby display boxes, no. But the 4x4x5 AMAC box does come close. At $3.59 it is a little pricy but it looks good. It is what I am going to standardize on next time I get a chance to go to the nearest Container Store (hopefully next week).

I do understand your point about the cost, but this is a $4 box to hold a $15 to $50 tarantula. It's not a big deal, IMO.
Unfortunately my closest Container Store is a couple hour drive from here (Atlanta or Charlotte). In your case, you can confirm the fit of the parts on the ones you buy. I did a mail order for some AMAC's a while back when I was using them for avic's and most of them didn't fit together so well (too tight). But I just bought a bunch of Hobby Lobby baseball display cases and a couple basketball display cases. I am using the baseball cases for my aphonopelma slings because opening the 5.5 oz deli cups tends to upset some of them too much.

Otherwise, I'd rather spend more money on additional T's rather than sling containers.

cold blood

Staff member
@user 666 ,don't get me wrong, amex boxes are just fine and lots use them, I'm merely stating why I feel deli cups offer an advantage....or, advantages.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
@user 666 ,don't get me wrong, amex boxes are just fine and lots use them, I'm merely stating why I feel deli cups offer an advantage....or, advantages.
Have you tried the clear cylindrical containers with the metal latch? Not sure if they have a name (came from walmart). I have three T currently in the and they work great IMO.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Can't be, I don't see how that could be ventilated.

Anyway, I'm not trying to improve on the perfection of my deli cups:) I gave up a long time ago when I realized I liked the aternatives a whole lot less. But I will look next time I'm at a wal-mart.
I have some similar to those but have never tried to use them due to some problems. They are made of acrylic/plastic so a hole could be drilled/soldered into them for vents. But the ones I've got also have a soft gasket at the top that a T could chew through. So a tweak might be needed to eliminate any escape possibility. Mine also have a lip on the lid so the T can climb in there causing inconvenience in opening the container. They aren't cheap either. The one's I've got are leftovers from before I ever got any T's.

They are very presentable and clear though.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Can't be, I don't see how that could be ventilated.

Anyway, I'm not trying to improve on the perfection of my deli cups:) I gave up a long time ago when I realized I liked the aternatives a whole lot less. But I will look next time I'm at a wal-mart.
Yes those are the ones. They are plastic, just melt holes with a soldering iron and violá!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Yes those are the ones. They are plastic, just melt holes with a soldering iron and violá!
Have you had any problems where they climb up on that lip on the lid? I actually like them because they look cool and are very clear. They aren't cheap but make a nice presentation container.

I have several of them from previous use in the kitchen.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Have you had any problems where they climb up on that lip on the lid? I actually like them because they look cool and are very clear. They aren't cheap but make a nice presentation container.

I have several of them from previous use in the kitchen.
No problems yet, are you talking about the rubber lip? I get mine for $5-$7 how much did you pay for yours.

Hey OP sorry for Hijacking your thread.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
No problems yet, are you talking about the rubber lip? I get mine for $5-$7 how much did you pay for yours.

I bought mine a long time ago, so I don't remember the price. But I have at least 5-6 of them. At that price ($5-$7) it is not out of line with Hobby Lobby and AMAC's.

On mine, the lid has a curl to it that forms the 1/2" or so thickness. The T could climb up in that space which would separate it from the container when you fold back the top to open it. It may not be a problem for most arboreal T's. I suppose I would only worry about it on avic's.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I bought mine a long time ago, so I don't remember the price. But I have at least 5-6 of them. At that price ($5-$7) it is not out of line with Hobby Lobby and AMAC's.

On mine, the lid has a curl to it that forms the 1/2" or so thickness. The T could climb up in that space which would separate it from the container when you fold back the top to open it. It may not be a problem for most arboreal T's. I suppose I would only worry about it on avic's.
The ones I have have a rubber seal, no where for the T to go. I'll have to double check mine to be sure but no escapes yet

Jeff23

Arachnolord
The ones I have have a rubber seal, no where for the T to go. I'll have to double check mine to be sure but no escapes yet
You are talking abut the O-ring gasket. Right? What I am meaning doesn't allow an escape while the lid is closed, but the T could form web up in the lid possibly. It is also very possible that mine is an old style since I have owned them for a long time.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
You are talking abut the O-ring gasket. Right? What I am meaning doesn't allow an escape while the lid is closed, but the T could form web up in the lid possibly. It is also very possible that mine is an old style since I have owned them for a long time.
Ohhh I see what you mean :astonished:

BMQ

Arachnopeon
first question: you

2nd question: see above
I
Call me a noob, but I thought Irminia were arboreal?

Should I be housing my .5" Irminia with enough substrate for a burrow?
I have my 1" irminia in an arboreal habitat. It has enough substrate to burrow, but It has spent 95% of its time in its hide that I built on top of some branches near the top of the cage. Its got a nice funnel web inside of the hide. The other 5% of the time that its not in its hide, its in the upper corner. I've seen it on the ground maybe once so far. All of its bolus' are in its hide, so I'm assuming its catching its food, and eating it in its hide. My sling is every bit the arboreal species that my research told me it would be.

cold blood

Staff member
I

I have my 1" irminia in an arboreal habitat. It has enough substrate to burrow, but It has spent 95% of its time in its hide that I built on top of some branches near the top of the cage. Its got a nice funnel web inside of the hide. The other 5% of the time that its not in its hide, its in the upper corner. I've seen it on the ground maybe once so far. All of its bolus' are in its hide, so I'm assuming its catching its food, and eating it in its hide. My sling is every bit the arboreal species that my research told me it would be.
Yeah, but you offered it no ground cover....so why would it spend time there?

do you know how many deli cups i could buy for the same as one of those?? about 3-500....so they may be cheap, but they are indeed at least 300 times more expensive that the good old deli cup.