Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus and reduncus

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I have a couple small 1/2" slings in these two species coming in and want to confirm care for them. Are they more similar to species I own such as cambridgei, irminia, pulcher or none of the above on their lifestyle? I want to make sure I set up their enclosures and provide proper water (or added moisture if needed).

Ecclesiasticus appears to be from Ecuador. Some Pamphobeteus genus appear to also be from this country, but I don't own them either so I need to find out all of the care requirements for ecclesiasticus species.

Reduncus appears to be from Central America. Pulcher is also from this region. But I need to confirm how reduncus prefer their homes.

PS: Would someone please import some emeraldus to the USA?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As far as I know the care is similar, man :)

I've never owned a P.ecclesiasticus, but I kept P.pulcher in the past just like a P.cambridgei without issues.

P.irminia just a bit (but only a bit) on more slightly moist substrate. IMO the only difference is (aside for single specimen temperament) in attitude, with P.irminia more high strung and reclusive.

@louise f is a P.ecclesiasticus pundit, btw. She will chime in :kiss:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The care is basic Psalmo care. A small bit more moist for the ecclesiasticus.

They both like to make web funnel hides with some dirt at the bottom behind cork bark. Usually upon rehouse they web high then make there way to the bottom. Its funny you mention Pampho as the ecclesiasticus slings have the same christmas tree markings on their butts as Pamphs do.

I barely see my AF rednucus. I see my ecclesiasticus slings a lot. They tend to be out in the open more often. They have a good appetite and they grow very fast. The speed of the ecclesiasticus is the fastest Out of the Psalmos I own.

Heres a photo of one of my ecclesiasticus slings I took a while ago.

View media item 36111
They are a joy. Its all @louise f 's fault that I own all sp but two from the genus :rofl:

louise f

Arachnoangel
Of course my dear friend @Chris LXXIX :) So this is how i keep them

And as @KezyGLA says they are the fastest psalmos, well they are in IMO too. Of the sp that i have and know of. They grow fast too, from the time this video was made witch was the 1st of June and till today they are both MM`s. Bummer, i can`t seem to get a girl. Frustrating. :confused: And annoying.

Haha ohh @KezyGLA my fault, well that`s a good thing right friend :p:D You do like them right? hehe :D If not just send them to me. I`m not gonna complain about that. Haha:D

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Thanks for the great advice. I wanted to get something a little closer to juvenile, but decided to go ahead and pull the trigger since available quantity (especially on ecclesiasticus) appears to be small here.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Thanks for the great advice. I wanted to get something a little closer to juvenile, but decided to go ahead and pull the trigger since available quantity (especially on ecclesiasticus) appears to be small here.
CIMG6054.JPG

This is how big they were when i first got them. This pic is from 18 of February 2015

And this is how they look today

IMG_2292.JPG

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Bummer, i can`t seem to get a girl. Frustrating. :confused: And annoying.
I wonder if this species tends to weigh more heavily toward male slings than females? I usually like to buy a few slings to increase my odds, but these are much more expensive and there was only one available for me to order anyway.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I wonder if this species tends to weigh more heavily toward male slings than females? I usually like to buy a few slings to increase my odds, but these are much more expensive and there was only one available for me to order anyway.
No i dont think they tend to turn out more as males that females. Maybe i was just unlucky, because you can also go buy like 5 and be unlucky and all 5 turn males.
It is a 50/50. I hope yours turn out to be a girl :)<3

Jeff23

Arachnolord
No i dont think they tend to turn out more as males that females. Maybe i was just unlucky, because you can also go buy like 5 and be unlucky and all 5 turn males.
It is a 50/50. I hope yours turn out to be a girl :)<3
Thanks. As I currently own quite a few slings and less than ten sexed tarantulas, I guess I need to start learning the sexing part next. I see some nice threads on it here in the forum. But it is all good regardless. If I get a lot of males I can always share with others for breeding so the T gets to do what it was born to do and the hobby gets any boost possible.

Last edited:

louise f

Arachnoangel
@Jeff23 Sure, there`s a lot of great info here. And I`m happy you say that you will share with others if you get MM`s, Thumbs up for that.
Because some people just keep them to the day they die without getting to mate a single female. That is too sad IMO.

And there`s a lot of nice people here to deal with when time/ if time comes. <3 :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Haha ohh @KezyGLA my fault, well that`s a good thing right friend :p:D You do like them right? hehe :D If not just send them to me. I`m not gonna complain about that. Haha:D
Oh this is not a bad thing at all, in fact a great thing. I thank you much for it heheh. At least one sp. of the genus is a must, right? :p

If they both turn out to be females I will send one your way :)

.. only victori(in my dreams) and emeraldus to go, huh? :p

KezyGLA

Arachnoking

Thanks. As I currently own quite a few slings and less than ten sexed tarantulas, I guess I need to start learning the sexing part next. I see some nice threads on it here in the forum. But it is all good regardless. If I get a lot of males I can always share with others for breeding so the T gets to do what it was born to do and the hobby gets any boost possible.
Nice! As Louise said its never nice to see a male wither and die :(

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Nice! As Louise said its never nice to see a male wither and die :(
These spiders are sharing a large chunk of their life with me so the least I can do is to try to let them complete their goal. I suppose this can be challenge due to the complications of shipping and struggle to find a mutual match (somebody must want an egg sac for the species). I suspect the bigger problem for ecclesiasticus in the USA is not interest but more about availability of a match with so few being sold.