Psalmopoeus cambridgei

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I ended up ordering a Trinidad chevron (Psalmopoeus cambridgei) from botar but since its so early in the morning he obviously hasn't responded yet so once I get a confirmation email that he did get it and that he's going to send it off today I'll let everyone know.

In the mean I did a some research and can anyone tell me if the research I did gave me the correct information on this species? (read info below)

-Very fast moving
-it lives in silk tubes built in trees and/or folded leaves
-arboreal
-high humidity
-Aggressive
-Temperature range: 75-78 farenheit.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
good choice, they are beautiful :drool:

yes, they are very fast, and some individuals are quite agressive to boot. most will run and hide, though - some at the slightest provocation (like someone entering the room).
offer it an arboreal's tank with a cork tube or piece of bark where it can built it's web tube. slightly moist substrate, room temperature and a good misting once or twice a week so it can drink will be fine.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah that's right. They're gorgeous t's.
Give it a layer of substrate and things to climb on.. bamboo is good, but mine has a piece of cork bark and some plants in a big jar, coz its arboreal. It webs in thick, heavy tubes where it lives. Good eaters generally, bold lil things! VERY quick and easily disturbed. Threat posture at the slightest thing...
Gorgeous spider though!
Spray the enclosure twice or three times a week, give anopen water dish...

Yep! spot on info :D

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks to both of you. I have one last question.

It said on a caresheet that stagnant air kills this species most of of the time.

I have a walk in closet with a humidifer in there and a space heater I keep on a low.

like right now its 62 degrees in there and 79% humidity.

Will this be ok for my chevon?

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow, 62 degrees with the heater on? You have a cold house! :) I don't think that will be any problem for your cambridgei. Make sure there is cross ventilation in its enclosure: drill or melt holes in the sides to achieve this.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, 62 degrees with the heater on? You have a cold house! :) I don't think that will be any problem for your cambridgei. Make sure there is cross ventilation in its enclosure: drill or melt holes in the sides to achieve this.
Erik I live in Boston,Ma so its basically cold here 90% of the year...but the hting is that is in the walk in closet I have a heat vent thing in there but it never emits heat hence the space heater in there.

also it feels more cold in the walk in closet than it feels in the rest of this house...should i put the space heater up a little more? or will the defeat the purpose of the humidifer because the heat will cancel out the humidity.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about it. I live near Chicago, so I hear you about the cold weather. The finished basement where I keep my T's is around 63 or so, and they do fine. When it gets really cold, I move their enclosures near my ball python's tank, where it is a little warmer, that's it. I have a whole-house humidifier on my furnace, and I control the humidity in the enclosures by how moist I keep the substrate in them.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the t will be ok with the temp and humidifier as long as there is enough ventilation (in its tank and in the closet). if the relative humidity is that high, you don't need to keep the substrate moist, just mist regularly so it can drink.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it sounds like a typical one to me as for the temps over in the UK i got to keep my ( t ) at 75- 78 f -- at this time of year i do not have any ARBOREALS hope this helps ? ++ PHIL