Providing room for your tarantula in pre-molt?

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a few terrestrials that are in small cages with a hide, water bowl, etc. They don't have a TON of surface area on the ground and I am wondering if it's better if they have things moved to provide space for them to put down a mounting pad area, etc?

I don't want to disrupt the space either and stress the tarantula. Any experience in this area?

Thanks.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
In this case, pictures are worth a thousand words. You'll get nothing but speculation without them, sorry.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
I agree with EulerK However I wouldnt disturb anything while in premolt. Generally enclosure makeovers are done after a molt. But Pictures would help for a definitive answer.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
If you don't feel they have enough room to molt I would think their enclosure is too small to begin with.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a few terrestrials that are in small cages with a hide, water bowl, etc. They don't have a TON of surface area on the ground and I am wondering if it's better if they have things moved to provide space for them to put down a mounting pad area, etc?

I don't want to disrupt the space either and stress the tarantula. Any experience in this area?

Thanks.
I've never had to do this. However, if your T has already spun up a molting mat, I would not do this. If not, I would move things. Then again, they will pick the oddest places at times so you can't always predict.