Proud new Coronatus owner, but I misjudged how small babies are. What do you feed these guys?

mantidsRcool

Arachnopeon
I have some dubias from another 'project' but they're all adults. These 2nd instar amblypygids of mine are absolutely tiny in body size compared and could never take such prey. I'm not sure they could even chew through a dead one. What, and how often, do you feed 'whiplings'? Also hypothetically how fearful would I be of them eating each other if I put them in the same enclosure for a while. I know some species tolerate each other particularly when young

thanks in advance

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I have some dubias from another 'project' but they're all adults. These 2nd instar amblypygids of mine are absolutely tiny in body size compared and could never take such prey. I'm not sure they could even chew through a dead one. What, and how often, do you feed 'whiplings'? Also hypothetically how fearful would I be of them eating each other if I put them in the same enclosure for a while. I know some species tolerate each other particularly when young

thanks in advance
They'll happily take prekilled pieces of dubia without issue. I feed all of my second instar coronatus small crickets, which they will take both live and prekilled. I also feed mine once a week currently but larger meals, they will happily take multiple small meals a week.

Coronatus are not at all communal, they will kill each other. You can get away with it temporarily for early instars(I currently am due to space), but I do not recommend it if it can be avoided.

that1ocelot

Arachnoknight

thanks in advance
@Sarkhan42 is as close to the bible as you can get to Amblypygi save a couple other keepers.

I can't +1 enough pre-killed prey. I've heard people push against it but I find it the easiest, safest way to feed early instars or animals that you think may be close to a molt. I find also that they will take prey significantly bigger than you'd think. Especially A. Coronatus i'd imagine

mantidsRcool

Arachnopeon
I tried to humanely divide a roach in half and it turns out they can really go without their head. In any case the babies seem to be enjoying their respective dubia halves :) thanks