Protoiurus kraepelini breeding problem

ANAKONDR

Arachnopeon
Hello from Russia! Sorry in advance for some grammar mistakes, cause english is not my first language. I have a male and female Protoiurus kraepelini scorpions. They are adults for sure, but they do not want to have babies for some reason.I saw a message in different thread about Protoiurus kraepelini - a guy said that he simulated the climate for the entire year and only after that he was able to make them breed. Any ideas how to do it? My scorpions are fromTurkey (taurus mountains) and the conditions there are quite unpredictable. There cound be a lot of rains one year and no rains the next one. Same with temperature.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I imagine at least some of the variability of the seasons in the Taurus Mountains is a recent development, and if you look back far enough in the past a more consistent pattern, or at least enough of a pattern from which to extrapolate a decent set of moisture and temperature parameters for each season, could be found. If there is one, setting up a care regimen mimicking the seasons should be relatively easy with the right equipment.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
And even if rainfall really is that unpredictible, there should be some seasonal temperature differences. And maybe ask that guy what he did exactly.

ANAKONDR

Arachnopeon
And even if rainfall really is that unpredictible, there should be some seasonal temperature differences. And maybe ask that guy what he did exactly.
I would love to ask him directly of course, but I simply cant write him in PM cause he received "too much messages" (weird)

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I would love to ask him directly of course, but I simply cant write him in PM cause he received "too much messages" (weird)
If you are getting that error message it's because the recipient has used up all their inbox space and needs to delete some of their unneeded conversations.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

NovaD

Arachnopeon
Good afternoon.
I am also interested in this question.
Tell me, is it necessary to make seasons for mating?
If you have the opportunity to get hold of this species I recommend that you do!

I keep Protoiurus kraepelini, as George does, although they were all lumped into one genus with two species not so long ago (Iurus dufoureius and asiaticus). All 8 Protoiurus/Iurus sp. seem to be very similar looking and inhabit fairly comparable habitats throughout their range.

As George says, the males when adult can easily be distinguished from females by the large notch in the chelae. Basically, the middle of the ''scissors'' don't touch in adult males. They can also be sexed quite easily by looking at the genital operculum. Males' have a distinctly triangular shaped operculum, whereas the female has a squashed oval shaped one. This is the method to use if the scorpions aren't mature.

For me, P. kraepelini took around 3 years from birth to maturity. They don't give birth to very many young, but they are large and easy to care for from the start (keeping is quite similar to Euscorpius sp.). Breeding, however, has been slightly more difficult and for me has only be successful by simulating the seasons throughout the year. Unlike many other scorpions, it seems like you can't just dump a male and female together and they'll mate. I guess it adds to the fun of keeping this species as they're more of a challenge to breed. For this reason, I'd be inclined to get hold of an adult female if they're wild caught. This way you're very likely to end up with babies at some point which you can raise to create your own breeding colony with.
Maybe there are people besides him who succeeded?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
It would seem mimicking the seasons is necessary, which though uncommon is not unheard of for various species.

I personally have no idea if others have been successful with breeding this particular species.

Thanks,

Arthroverts