Proper sling/juvi hides

Spider937372

Arachnopeon
Just wondering if people are willing to share some insights and maybe pictures / specific items they use for hides for the smaller T's :)
Feel like most of the things you find when shopping for a hide are either focussed on reptiles (and you could get the smallest size for a big T) or for adult Ts.

Also if I'm not mistaken, small slings don't require a hide generally? At what point in their growth would you start providing them with a little one?

Cheers :)

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
If you have tiny tiny slings in vials where it's impossible to put a hide in, not so much. But they don't have to be very big before you can put a tiny piece of cork bark in for them to dig under, or even some leaf litter could work.
As soon as you can fit a hide in, put it in.
The reasons cork bark is so popular is its cheap, doesn't mold, its nice and light to avoid cave ins, and is easily breakable into little parts for teeny tiny hides. Just partially bury the bark, scoop a little sub from under it and the t will soon find it and make a home.

I only ever use cork bark, it makes for a more natural and flexible solution than a rigid reptile hide.

(free spider butt enclosed)

Attachments

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
Just wondering if people are willing to share some insights and maybe pictures / specific items they use for hides for the smaller T's :)
Feel like most of the things you find when shopping for a hide are either focussed on reptiles (and you could get the smallest size for a big T) or for adult Ts.

Also if I'm not mistaken, small slings don't require a hide generally? At what point in their growth would you start providing them with a little one?

if a sling is in something as small as a vial you can use moss, leaves and sometimes cork bark if you can get it in. You can really use anything as long as it is safe

Kitara

Arachnodemon
For the littlest ones, I just use a fake leaf. The next size up get a little piece of cork bark and then from there I only use cork bark.

The one on the left is in an enclosure 1.5x1.5" and the one on the right is in 3x3".
20200910_201017.jpg 20200910_201044.jpg

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Moss for 2oz condiment cups (I don't like using vials for slings), for 10oz delis I just chop up a small bits of cork bark

sling enclosure1.png sling enclosure2.JPG

Spider937372

Arachnopeon
Annoyingly all the pieces of cork bark I've ordered and received are terrible. Massive pieces with no curve in them whatsoever. Surprisingly hard to break as well :sad:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
For juvenile+ I tend to cut the cork bark, piece it together like a puzzle until I am happy with how it looks, hot glue it together and slap on some moss over the hot glue. Once in the enclosure I may add some substraight on top to give a more natural look and add some fake foliage…generally just for my viewing pleasure.

cold blood

Staff member
flat wood works just fine..just look at all the life under flat boards outside.

I just press a finger under the middle to give access and let them do the rest.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Annoyingly all the pieces of cork bark I've ordered and received are terrible. Massive pieces with no curve in them whatsoever. Surprisingly hard to break as well :sad:
I use a pruning saw to cut up bark tubes/flats but you can break off small bits with a pair of pliers easily enough. The bits don't have to be curved, you can just get a flat bit and then make a small starter burrow underneath.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Received some cork bark tubes actually today which finally have some curve to them, once split in half :)

[yet to be named] is busily exploring her new place :watchingyou: :anxious:

Hopefully the actual clear acrylic enclosure will arrive soon
What a nice lump. I would call them bunny

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I use cork, and I use PVC covered in coco fiber mats, then covered with moss (all glued), see below. I sand the inside of the PVC to make it extra grippy for webbing and their claws.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
I don't keep T's, but for smaller spiders I like to use things like sea shells, bottle caps with a small hole cut in them, or whittle a small pieces of wood. Every once in a while I like to use small animal skulls, since they have a lot of different spaces for the spider to hide. Polymer clay is also a go to for me, but it really depends on the style of the terrarium.