Proof buying roach chow is a waste

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Professional roach sellers often sell roach how and link photos or videos to show the "great feeding response"

The attached photo is about 2 minutes after putting in chow made from stale salteens and dog food. The only reason roach chow has a "crazy response" is because people wait a couple days before feeding the roaches to make them hungry Last feeding for this colony was 2 days ago.

Attachments

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Professional roach sellers often sell roach how and link photos or videos to show the "great feeding response"

The attached photo is about 2 minutes after putting in chow made from stale salteens and dog food. The only reason roach chow has a "crazy response" is because people wait a couple days before feeding the roaches to make them hungry Last feeding for this colony was 2 days ago.
Which is a better diet, I wonder?

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Which is a better diet, I wonder?
I don't feed the salteens as staple diet. I did so as a mere test to see if the feeding response wold be less than the roach chows I've seen on websites. I normally feed a more nutritious diet to them. I only feed/test new roach chows on my lats. All my other roaches use roach chows that are tried and true ime.

Sleepy Lemur

Arachnopeon
I agree roach "chows" are a waste of money and generally inefficient.many of them consist of ingredients we already feed our roaches, like oak leaves and dog/fish food. The only ingredient I often see that isn't commonly used is bee pollen, which can be purchased at health food stores.

There was also a thread on roach forum about roaches ability to seek out certain food items based on what nutrients they need. Putting a bunch of ingredients into "chow" form doesn't allow them to do this. I prefer to give my roaches multiple food items in different locations so they can eat what they want. Some like dry food, some only really eat fruits and vegetables.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Fresh fruit over high protein any day.
Yeah I actually noticed my lateralis and Dubia that were fed on low protein diets were doing better than the ones with high protein. Less die off and more reproduction ime