Proliferation of Scorpions in Marrakech, Morocco ?

Mauritanicus Rak

Arachnopeon
Hi

There has been an increased number of death following scorpions bites in central Morocco this year. With the warm weather and lack of rain , it seems the scorpions are proliferating not only in usual places like the countrysides & deserts but now in the cities.
In Marrakech, where I live, Scorpions presence were always in the vicinity of the city, not inside.
But last week in October , we found an Androctonus Mauretanicus inside the company I work for which is in a popular neighborhood. There is a small wasteland near the compagny and it seems it came from there. A poor neighborhood, where people including children like to stay outside until 10 pm, is just 30 meter from the wasteland. Here is picture I took with my phone of the now dead scorpion.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Man I remember those, ah ah... saw an helluva in Morocco when I visited your nation, but they weren't of course so near, or in the city. I remember tons of scorpions in Ouarzazate but there was normal. Anyway I was more young and with my family :-s

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've visited Marrakech several times... lovely city! is this in the medina?

Often the street sellers (who sell lizards, chameleons, etc) have A.mauretanicus if you ask them! Once one showed me a box with about 30+ inside (a couple were eating each other too)

Perhaps entry of the scorpion into the city walls was due to an escape? Or this male specimen has been searching for long distances for a mate! :D

Henry1975

Arachnopeon
Sad to read that. I don´t envy You at all having to deal with potentially deadly scorpions in that manner. Just hope You will not get stung and that the rain comes and it cools down so the scorps move out of the cities. Or whatever will get them out.

Last edited:

Blakely

Arachnopeon
Where can you obtain one of these guys? I have an Australis right now but these are gorgeous! I can't find breeders anywhere.

Kayv

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@Blakely keep an eye out in the classifieds. There are a few people here who sell buthids like your australis.

Yup the scorpions are going into a more urban environment for water since there has been a drought.