Prognosis: Sick or injured?

azrevasive

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

First time poster... Nick here with pet concern. Luci, my G.Rosea I have had since 1997 (full grown from a pet store) molted 10 days ago. it had been four years since her last molt. Yesterday morning I was noticing increased activity and considered a feeding. Later she was in the molting position again but not on her web. She was not moving much all day. She is worse this morning but seemed to have rotated a little. I have not moved her. She is not quite in the death curl but more curled than yesterday. All legs are moving just a little if I touch them. I don't see any leaking fluids.

Should I flip her over for a topside inspection? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Pretty sure there isn't much you can do at that age except keep her water dish full. But let's see if the more experienced keepers have any advice for you.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Firstly check if you can see any injury without disturbing her, because in that enclosure any fall could be fatal. Give her some water drops between the fangs, keeping the water dish full wont solve nothing if she cant move to reach the water source.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Firstly check if you can see any injury without disturbing her, because in that enclosure any fall could be fatal. Give her some water drops between the fangs, keeping the water dish full wont solve nothing if she cant move to reach the water source.
@Dorifto Did you read that the T is on its back preparing to molt ?

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am sorry to say this, but I have seen this, twice, in a 21 year old and 23 year old tarantula. They both molted then apparently, tried to molt again.

Both of them survived the first attempt, they just laid on their backs for a few days then rolled over. But... they keep trying to do it. After a few attempts, I found both of them dead.

I am sure that there is a chemical miss fire do to age and they both died of natural causes. The smithi died first then 2 years later the albo. Both of them where adults when I got them.

If yours follows the same course, she could recover and live years more. Or... but in my opinion, it was old age.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Good luck but even if the worse happens....she's pushing 30+ years old....amazing!!

azrevasive

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone for the comments.

UPDATE: I put a drop of water on her fangs but she did not react for at least 5m (I left). I checked later and she has righted herself and moved awkwardly into her burrow and has been that way all day. Of course I will continue to monitor the situation.

Yes, my original Homer Simpson.

Attachments

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
That enclosure looks like a death trap to me...
Well, if she's ~30 now - assuming she has been kept in a roughly similar fashion all that time - she seems to be pretty good at avoiding death traps alright. I must say that I find the above blanket statement/mantra recited in this particular case rather uncalled for.

@ OP: A very old lady indeed. Whatever happens now, she seems to have lived a full life.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
So she reacted after the water drop? Try to give her another drop.

I saw that the old exuvia is there, could you check if the sucking stomach is present.

@KaroKoenig I wouldn't say that the "mantra" is out of place, those figures and the stones could be dangerous in case of a fall, and doesn't bring any benefit to the T. You can find Ts that never climb their enclosures and others that are climbing it all day.