Problem with Theraphosa blondi

oldfatty

Arachnopeon
Our T is about half grown. She hasn't molted in about a year. Yesterday she looked fine. Today her butt looks like all the hide is flaking off and it looks red and raw underneath. I've never seen this before. She's moving around okay. Any thoughts? Thank you!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
try and get some pics posted of your t along with entire cage set up will help others to help you

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
sounds normal, will be fine after it molts, then will likely happen again eventually.
Just a wild guess though, more info would help.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Theraphosa seem to be permanently bald... Something that puts me off having one

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
This is certainly not true. They’re bald because they kick hairs, and are stressed typically. None of my blondis are balding whatsoever. Sounds normal, pictures would help.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Never noticed this with my stirmi female. Then again, I pretty much leave her alone other than to feed her or change her water dish after she's dumped the bolus in it.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I've clearly seen mine kicking hairs and lining her burrow/ webbing with it. When disturbed even the slightest bit she also kicks them like crazy. I think some of it also depends on the individual animal.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Sounds like you are seeing a bald spot from heavy setae kicking potentially leading up to a molt, it can be common behavior for Theraphosa spp. Nothing to worry about, looks kinda funny the first time you see their abdomen devoid of setae!