Problem with my T

TarantulaMan

Banned
My rosea wont go into her hole thing. I made her a cardboard home so she can go in their so I gently scooted her in their and the next morning she on top of the thing with a big web on top of it I was so mad as long as it took me to put it up their she's on top of it.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Why do (inexperienced) tarantula owners get upset and/or worried when their tarantula won't hide?

The Chilean rose is considered to be vagabond species, meaning that it doesn't generally have a permanent burrow but rather takes shelter wherever it happens to wander (this is also a contributing factor to how many are captured and imported - don't have to coax or dig them out of a burrow). As such, it almost never burrows in captivity and is well known to *not* use hides provided by their owners.

It's nice that you've given it the choice of a hide, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a tarantula choosing to remain in the open. It's a sign that they're comfortable with their cage and don't desire further seclusion.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well said code monkey. On the same lines you should be happy it never hides. I have a king baboon that I'm lucky if I see it once every other month! All it does is hide. Sit back and enjoy your rosie:)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
exactly! you may well ask yourself....'why SHOULD she hide'?!
And be happy that she does not! Mine NEVER use their hides...except to sit on top of them every so often.
Sure wish I could say the same for the H lividum, and C crayshawi adults I have :D

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont think my Rosie has ever gone into the enclosure I have provided. It is mainly there just to make the place look cool but she never uses it. Mainly it is a palce for crickets to hide and die

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My rosie has escaped once, but I found it quite near to her enclosure. A few weeks later I didn't see her, and was afraid she had made a run for it again, but I found her in her hide, that was the first time she had been in there! Otherwise she is always on display, which I think is one of the attractive things about rosies.
greetz,
Joost

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Of the G.rosea I've got, most are never in their corkbark hides I've provided them with... 2 are always on top of them, one is always beside of it, and one will occasionally be found inside hers. I have found that the slings will often try a burrow though it is often unsuccessful and collapses. Charlotte, the one that uses her hide, will dig out all the substrate under hers just to fill it back the next day or 2. And when she wants privacy, she'll go inside and web the hide's entrance heavily, in effect closing the door so I'll know she really doesn't want to sit on my hand :cool: