Problem eating, or...?

Mara

Arachnopeon
Last night was feeding time, and I decided to see if my newest T, my Euathlus truculentus, was ready to eat yet. I gave her a superworm, which she grabbed eagerly. She started on her feeding mat, and I went to bed glad that she's got an appetite.
When I woke up this morning, she was still sitting there with her fangs buried in the now very dead superworm, and the feeding mat was clearly unfinished.

Maybe she wasn't as hungry as I thought, but why would she be holding it and not just dump it and leave it there then?
How long should leave her like that before I try to take the superworm out? I doubt she would having problems letting go of it, her fangs looked normal, but could this still be the case here? I don't exactly want to wrangle it from her grip, I might hurt her after all.
I'm gonna leave her for now, but if she's still sitting there when I get back from work, should I do something?

Since I've been a T owner for only about 4 weeks now, a lot of things are new to me, including this kind of behavior :eek:

And yes, I tried the search function... :}

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She wanted a cuddle buddy to sleep with. lol.......
I don't know. I haven't heard of this. Maybe someone else can help.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
SHe might not have been super hungry.. So she is saving it for later.. No sence in wasting good grub...

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tommy, Good one {D

Mara, I'll have to admit that does sound a little odd. I have yet to experience this behavior from any of my terrestrials. Although totally different, I've seen mention (maybe was in reference to Avicularia?) of the t webbing an item and leaving it for later- somewhat like trues.

A bit :confused:

Terry

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Hey, if its still like that when you get home from work,
ide try lightly pushing her from behind to get her to leave it! dont try grab the worm with tweezers or anything! try get her to drop/leave it on her own. then take it out before it gets too rotten.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tommy, Good one {D

Mara, I'll have to admit that does sound a little odd. I have yet to experience this behavior from any of my terrestrials. Although totally different, I've seen mention (maybe was in reference to Avicularia?) of the t webbing an item and leaving it for later- somewhat like trues.

A bit :confused:

Terry
What? I was actually being serious! {D

On a serious note.. To the OP.. Leave your spider alone.. There is no need to get her to drop it.. I had a G. rosea chewing on an adult B. dubia for 2 days.. When she was done.. She tossed it.. Your spider is holding on to a meal.. She does not know when the next meal might pass her by.. So again.. She feels there is no need to waste good grub..

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
What? I was actually being serious! {D

On a serious note.. To the OP.. Leave your spider alone.. There is no need to get her to drop it.. I had a G. rosea chewing on an adult B. dubia for 2 days.. When she was done.. She tossed it.. Your spider is holding on to a meal.. She does not know when the next meal might pass her by.. So again.. She feels there is no need to waste good grub..
The op wouldnt have posted this if the tarantula was eating the worm properly, sounds like the worm is still in tact and the t is just holding it!

A worm rots very fast, unlike a roach! dont let them keep it in their fangs for more than 24 hours especialy if she isnt eating and just holding it, after that amount of time if she had been eating it properly she would have left it by now. rather just feed her again in a couple days! no harm, but leaving her on something that is rotting isnt cool.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The op wouldnt have posted this if the tarantula was eating the worm properly, sounds like the worm is still in tact and the t is just holding it!

A worm rots very fast, unlike a roach! dont let them eat on it for more than 24 hours especialy if she isnt eating and just holding it, after that amount of time if she had been eating it properly she would have left it by now. rather just feed her again in a couple days! no harm, but leaving her on something that is rotting isnt cool.
If the spider dont want it.. It is capable of tossing it.. I have see mine eat for 30 minutes.. I have seen mine eat for 2 days.. Its not going to harm the T..

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
If the spider dont want it.. It is capable of tossing it.. I have see mine eat for 30 minutes.. I have seen mine eat for 2 days.. Its not going to harm the T..
Ive seen this before(thats if its the same scanario)
Im well aware,that ts take up to 2 days to complete a meal,
but then the t is eating! not just kill and hold, there is no point
in leaving the t holding onto the worm for so long, it will rot(like dead worms do) get her to drop it when you get home, then you know deff no harm can be done. let the t carry on as norm and try again in a week or so.

Ps- i never leave a t eating on either a large worm or mouce for more than 24 hours(roaches are fine), even if they still eating on it
it starts to smell, so i get them to drop it!

Last edited:

Mara

Arachnopeon
Well, I just got home, and she had solved it for me. She had dumped it and climbed back up her cork bark to nestle in her favorite spot (where I barely see her, lol).

Thanks for your replies anyway :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I just got home, and she had solved it for me. She had dumped it and climbed back up her cork bark to nestle in her favorite spot (where I barely see her, lol).

Thanks for your replies anyway :)
Glad it all worked out.. :)
Ive seen this before(thats if its the same scanario)
Im well aware,that ts take up to 2 days to complete a meal,
but then the t is eating! not just kill and hold, there is no point
in leaving the t holding onto the worm for so long, it will rot(like dead worms do) get her to drop it when you get home, then you know deff no harm can be done. let the t carry on as norm and try again in a week or so.

Ps- i never leave a t eating on either a large worm or mouce for more than 24 hours(roaches are fine), even if they still eating on it
it starts to smell, so i get them to drop it!
For some reason.. I thought the spider might have forgot how to be a spider... Go figure.. It was capable of tossing it when it felt it was done.. :rolleyes:

NChromatus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's weird behavior but it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

Mara

Arachnopeon

And yeah, it seemed a bit strange to me.
Ah well, gonna try feeding her again in a day or so and see if she's more in an eating mood then :D

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You mentioned a feeding mat, maybe she is in pre-moult and just wanted to kill it so she can moult?

Just an idea

Mara

Arachnopeon
No, she recently molted. I'm thinking it might simply have been too soon after the molt. I have a suspicion she molted more recently before I got her than I thought.
Still doesn't quite explain why she jumped at it and then just sat there with it like that :rolleyes:

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No, she recently molted. I'm thinking it might simply have been too soon after the molt. I have a suspicion she molted more recently before I got her than I thought.
Still doesn't quite explain why she jumped at it and then just sat there with it like that :rolleyes:
Because shes a tarantula, tarantulas are all different, maybe she likes attacking food sources :)

Mara

Arachnopeon
Offered her a cricked this time and she refused it *sigh* Still too soon I guess :rolleyes: