Primitive Plant ID Needed

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I picked this up today at a roadside produce stand/flea market/yard sale when I stopped to buy some boiled peanuts; the guy selling it had some plants that he said were part of an estate sale, and he was told that it was a fern of some sort, but I'm not sure if it is a true fern or one of the spike mosses, like a Selaginella sp.. It's in a six-inch pot and seems to be in fairly good shape, even though the soil in the pot was dry. The plant has a very stiff, almost wiry texture similar to my Selaginella martinsii. Anyone got a clue what it really is?

Here's a few pics:

pitbulllady

Low

Arachnoknight
No idea on an id but the stems look too woody to be a selaginella....i could be wrong but I doubt selaginella.

From the pics it almost looks coniferous....

Good luck with the id..

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
It looks an awful lot like a particular native species around here.... Id have to find the plant and take a pic to be sure though...

Edit: I just showed my wife, and she says she has seen them around here as well.

Perhaps some sort of coniferous fern shrub?

Last edited:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Found out what it is, as I was able to track down the nursery where it was originally purchased, Indigo Marsh Nursery in Florence, SC. As I suspected, it IS indeed a Selaginella, S. pallucens to be exact, commonly referred to as "Arbor Vitae Fern" after the popular evergreen cypress shrub it does indeed resemble.
I really need to go back to this amazing place when I've got some money; I'm quite surprised I didn't know about it before and I only found out by asking the guy at the roadside stand where he'd gotten this plant. They have a nice fern selection, which isn't common to see, as most places only carry the Boston ferns.

pitbulllady

Low

Arachnoknight
I stand corrected...
Very nice nonetheless...