Primitive or ancient Spider forms

Borttor

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure if there is a term for it but more or less I'm interested in the more ancestral forms of spiders tarantulas as a whole are very primitive but they're not the most primitive I know funnel webs are extremely but what would be a pretty good starting point as someone who does prefer the more primitive looking spiders ( if for example mygalomorphs but no I don't know of any examples by name except for obviously in Australia has some pretty gnarly ones which I do not intend on trying to keep unless I wanted to get into selling spider venom

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Liphistius sp are probably the best you can get in that regard. Not mygales but fairly primitive as it were.

Feral

Arachnobaron
Agreed, I believe Mygalomorphae and Araneomorphae are the oldest/most primitive extant Infraorders of spiders. A Google search on the evolution of spiders might provide specific species, if that's what you're looking for.

[edit- Oh, and suborder Mesothelae, think they're very primitive, too.]

Last edited:

Borttor

Arachnopeon
Liphistius sp are probably the best you can get in that regard. Not mygales but fairly primitive as it were.
Ah thank you they're very cool and cute thank you for the recommendation do you know anything about their the temperament of these guys?

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Skittish, pet holes, make trapdoors. There’s a thread in the true spider section talking about their care etc.

Search Liphistius ornatus or Liphistius cf. ornatus.

Borttor

Arachnopeon
Agreed, I believe Mygalomorphae and Araneomorphae are the oldest/most primitive extant Infraorders of spiders. A Google search on the evolution of spiders might provide specific species, if that's what you're looking for.
I do know that I was just more of looking for a specific species that would be okay for a beginner I've had mantises but never a spider

Skittish, pet holes, make trapdoors. There’s a thread in the true spider section talking about their care etc.

Search Liphistius ornatus or Liphistius cf. ornatus.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

aaarg

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
indeed, they're all that remains from the mesothelae, a group older than mygalomorphs and araneomorphs. there are plenty of fossil mesothelae, but the liphistiids are the only living ones that science knows.
they retain some features found only in extinct spiders and their arachnid kin. most obvious are the abdomen's segmented plates and the location of the spinnerets (in the center of the abdomen as opposed to the rear).

i wouldn't want one as a beginner spider. you'd be better off with a cheaper and hardier trapdoor spider. you're not gonna see either spider anyway lol

basin79

ArachnoGod
indeed, they're all that remains from the mesothelae, a group older than mygalomorphs and araneomorphs. there are plenty of fossil mesothelae, but the liphistiids are the only living ones that science knows.
they retain some features found only in extinct spiders and their arachnid kin. most obvious are the abdomen's segmented plates and the location of the spinnerets (in the center of the abdomen as opposed to the rear).

i wouldn't want one as a beginner spider. you'd be better off with a cheaper and hardier trapdoor spider. you're not gonna see either spider anyway lol
You absolutely see Liphistius sp. Just for a fraction of a second unless you record them in slow motion like I do.