Pricing Ts

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe I'm just a dreamer (and lazy) but I am very curious if somewhere on this site (besides the classifieds) there is a rough general price list for diff Ts ( taking into consideration size, sex etc.)....

I know the prices fluctuate... but perhaps if there was this likely nonexistent, magical list it could be updated every once in a while if there's a big change in the value a certain species.

I think it's just wishful thinking...

I know when the deal is made between the two parties regarding purchasing or lending is really what counts. BUT perhaps this here could serve as an inquiry thread for certain people who are looking to sell/loan/buy and are curious what to charge/spend before posting in the classifieds or doing business elsewhere.

People can also ask questions about LAG, shipping options and prices, etc. and post a picture if the T in question

For (pure) example, my Davus pentaloris just hooked out last week and I'm curious how much he would be worth if I were to sell him. Here's a picture. Many ppl have asked me to buy him to breed him... Can anyone tell me a ball park figure?

IMG_0742.PNG

…………
This is just an example of what a potential post could be like.

I just think it's an important thing to know The correct value of the tarantula you are going to be pairing or selling... and maybe we can help each other out with a Q&A thread like this...

We'll see if it even catches on and if ppl use this thread at all... but it's just an idea. :smug:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
there'd have to be one for each country. prices here differ from the US and Europe.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
there'd have to be one for each country. prices here differ from the US and Europe.
Oh, jeez, I totally forgot about that...

But maybe if someone asks about prices w tender foreign from America, someone else from Europe (or whatever country) might also know and be able to reply... ? I guess we'll have to see...

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh, and now I'm actually interested in how much my MM above would go for in US dollars... lol

14pokies

Arachnoprince
When selling MMs I shoot for a little less than half the going rate for a mature female in most cases.. With some species being male heavy that won't work. It also won't work for species that make good display Ts but for whatever reason are undesirable as breeders.

Good real world personal example for the examples above is this..

I had a MM H.sp columbia lrg sell for $50 recently. Female sell for roughly $100. Slings are hardy and sell quick.. It's a desirable species that sells well. This is a perfect example of a T where you can get half the price of the female without much trouble.

I have a MM LP that I can't give away because no one wants to have a 1000+ slings to care for that only sell for $1-8 wholesale/ retail. Yet adult females cost between $60-100 usually.

I had a male P.irminia sit untill it kicked because no one needed him at the time. Psalmopoeus is pretty male heavy.. Recently I came across another and he was snatched up the same day I recieved him. So with desirable species that are male heavy one day you can't get rid of them others days you can sell them for $35..

There is too much that influences the market to ever have fixed baseline prices IMO.

If I were to type out everything that influences going rates and everything that causes or could cause fluctuations in market price I would be here all night..

My best advice is to look at what all sizes of pentalore are going for right now and set what you feel is a reasonable price and don't be afraid to negotiate..

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Oh, jeez, I totally forgot about that...

But maybe if someone asks about prices w tender foreign from America, someone else from Europe (or whatever country) might also know and be able to reply... ? I guess we'll have to see...
another thing is Regions in the same country have different prices as well.

IE: i live in arizona, and here there are many Species that we have literally dirt cheap here.
like A. Chalcodes and many of the Aphonopelma genus here are far from rare.
as an example i bought a A. Chalcodes at a convention here, confirmed female ~3.5-4" DLS, for about 12$.

i had a friend on the east coast offer 35$ AND to pay shipping for it the next day when i told him about it, because theres not as many out there, and its slightly harder to keep them where he's from (florida area) due to their high humidity.

the inverse is true here, I've seen a lot more East (and even west) coast residents that have plenty of Avics and other arboreal in abundance, where as here, they are not as popular.
of course your standard A. metallica/A. Avic are still somewhat common, but some of the other rarer avics will still cost you a good amount here in AZ or you have to resort to ordering online and paying the 40+ in shipping. this is mostly due to the humidity+ventilation requirements, which is a lot hard when your ambient humidity is anywhere from 10-25% rather then the ambient 80-100% of some places on the east coast.

while it would be a challenge, i feel if a good number of dedicated people got together, it would be possible to at the very least get some acceptable ranges to atlas help some newbies out.
IE: let people know that 80$ for a versicolor sling is outrageous but acceptable for say, a P. Metallica juvenile.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
another thing is Regions in the same country have different prices as well.

IE: i live in arizona, and here there are many Species that we have literally dirt cheap here.
like A. Chalcodes and many of the Aphonopelma genus here are far from rare.
as an example i bought a A. Chalcodes at a convention here, confirmed female ~3.5-4" DLS, for about 12$.

i had a friend on the east coast offer 35$ AND to pay shipping for it the next day when i told him about it, because theres not as many out there, and its slightly harder to keep them where he's from (florida area) due to their high humidity.

the inverse is true here, I've seen a lot more East (and even west) coast residents that have plenty of Avics and other arboreal in abundance, where as here, they are not as popular.
of course your standard A. metallica/A. Avic are still somewhat common, but some of the other rarer avics will still cost you a good amount here in AZ or you have to resort to ordering online and paying the 40+ in shipping. this is mostly due to the humidity+ventilation requirements, which is a lot hard when your ambient humidity is anywhere from 10-25% rather then the ambient 80-100% of some places on the east coast.

while it would be a challenge, i feel if a good number of dedicated people got together, it would be possible to at the very least get some acceptable ranges to atlas help some newbies out.
IE: let people know that 80$ for a versicolor sling is outrageous but acceptable for say, a P. Metallica juvenile.
See perfect example why there will never be a baseline pricelist.. Your buddy would pay what about $80 shipped for that T because he has trouble finding them where he lives in Florida.. I can get 4 inch confirmed females for $35 and I live in Florida as well..

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
See perfect example why there will never be a baseline pricelist.. Your buddy would pay what about $80 shipped for that T because he has trouble finding them where he lives in Florida.. I can get 4 inch confirmed females for $35 and I live in Florida as well..
exactly. i mean, even in a single state it varies by region.

In arizona i live just outside of phoenix, and we have a large number of breeders/Reptile shops/experineced hobbyists here that are within driving distance to get T's, but my Old high school friend lives up north by the grand canyon in a rural area, about 4 hour drive away, through the mountains and he would much rather pay to have Ken the Bug guy Ship them to him, rather then make the 4 hour drive to the valley, and then another 1.5-2 hours down to tuscon and back.

so what might cost me 50$+3$ in gas, would cost him 90$ with shipping, or a whole Day trip(8+ hours, assuming the roads didn't flood and the mountain roads are open and not snowed over through flagstaff) and a good 20-40$ in gas anyway + the 50$ for the T.

and this is just a Difference in a single state, from country to country can be a massive difference (especially for the pesky Europeans, always getting your hands on the good stuff before us americans can ;) )

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
especially for the pesky Europeans, always getting your hands on the good stuff before us americans can ;) )
Europe lacks basic species A LOT ;) we get a lot of asians and a whole range of baboons but thats about it. Avics are as rare as a black chinese person. Versicolors are popular but other avics are not as readily availible. I see an influx of laeta and juruensis lately though. Aphonopelmas are hard to get and B. boehmei and emilia are also scarce. Pokies are sort of in the middle.

All of this is valid for my part of Europe ( the Balkans). UK and northern Europe have it easier :p

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Thanks
14pokies. I'm looking for a MM LP. PM me.
Why didn't you respond to my add in F/S /T/WTB section like 3 months ago then :mad:... Lol.

He's old now man over six months mature.. I haven't seen any remains of a sperm web in a long time and he doesn't pace the enclosure.. Eats great though. Lol..

I think at this point he's a dud but if you want to roll the dice on him PM me.. He's free just cost of shipping/materials.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah… It is kind of a pipe dream LOL. And I also clearly overlooked the difference in region. But hey a girl can dream lol o_O:D

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Europe lacks basic species A LOT ;) we get a lot of asians and a whole range of baboons but thats about it. Avics are as rare as a black chinese person. Versicolors are popular but other avics are not as readily availible. I see an influx of laeta and juruensis lately though. Aphonopelmas are hard to get and B. boehmei and emilia are also scarce. Pokies are sort of in the middle.

All of this is valid for my part of Europe ( the Balkans). UK and northern Europe have it easier :p

true, but Asians and Baboons and some of the BEST species!
and you gotta admit, 9/10 times, when a crazy new rare species is discovered somewhere far off in the world, there a few unnamed europeans who usually seems to pop up at just the right time to grab a few wild caught specimens, you guys always get the rare stuff first!

Devin B

Arachnobaron
When my C. Cyaneopubescens becomes a MM I'm hoping to give him to someone for breeding in exchange for a couple of his slings (If the female doesnt kill him first anyway).

As of now this is what I plan to do with any of my T's that turn out to be male.

I have no idea if many people do that or not but it sounds like a good deal to me.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe I'm just a dreamer (and lazy) but I am very curious if somewhere on this site (besides the classifieds) there is a rough general price list for diff Ts ( taking into consideration size, sex etc.)....

I know the prices fluctuate... but perhaps if there was this likely nonexistent, magical list it could be updated every once in a while if there's a big change in the value a certain species.

I think it's just wishful thinking...

I know when the deal is made between the two parties regarding purchasing or lending is really what counts. BUT perhaps this here could serve as an inquiry thread for certain people who are looking to sell/loan/buy and are curious what to charge/spend before posting in the classifieds or doing business elsewhere.

People can also ask questions about LAG, shipping options and prices, etc. and post a picture if the T in question

For (pure) example, my Davus pentaloris just hooked out last week and I'm curious how much he would be worth if I were to sell him. Here's a picture. Many ppl have asked me to buy him to breed him... Can anyone tell me a ball park figure?

View attachment 239910

…………
This is just an example of what a potential post could be like.

I just think it's an important thing to know The correct value of the tarantula you are going to be pairing or selling... and maybe we can help each other out with a Q&A thread like this...

We'll see if it even catches on and if ppl use this thread at all... but it's just an idea. :smug:

You're going to sell your cherished pet for the almighty American dollar, nothing but capitalist greed I say!!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I probably paid too much for my female GBB and B emilia a couple years back -- I guess I tend to purchase Ts like I would artwork -- with my heart. No regrets though.

Like MrsHaas -- sometimes it would be nice to know what a good/fair price is for some of these guys. But it makes sense there are too many variables to consider to make "the definitive list of prices" possible.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
true, but Asians and Baboons and some of the BEST species!
and you gotta admit, 9/10 times, when a crazy new rare species is discovered somewhere far off in the world, there a few unnamed europeans who usually seems to pop up at just the right time to grab a few wild caught specimens, you guys always get the rare stuff first!
I'll swap you the baboons and asians for the big south Americans ;) G.iheringi/pulchra, Pamphobeteus everything are rare/pricey here.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I'll swap you the baboons and asians for the big south Americans ;) G.iheringi/pulchra, Pamphobeteus everything are rare/pricey here.
thats not a bad deal!

well, except for the pulchra. even they are pricey here, i cant imagine over there!

3 local shops here have them, all around 100-150, and all for 1-3" inch specimens.

I'm still kicking myself for passing up a Breeding pair for 80$ at the expo last year.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
thats not a bad deal!

well, except for the pulchra. even they are pricey here, i cant imagine over there!

3 local shops here have them, all around 100-150, and all for 1-3" inch specimens.

I'm still kicking myself for passing up a Breeding pair for 80$ at the expo last year.
alright, I withdraw my offer...those prices are even higher than over here! :eek:
I recently bought my G.pulchra appr. 2 inch DLS for E35....