Preying mantid lifespan

DreadMan

Arachnosquire
I recently found a really pretty mantis in a parking lot, and I decided to bring it home with me. Its quite large and it doesnt have wings yet, but I was wondering what is the lifespan of mantids. My research concludes it is a giant asian mantis. Any thoughts?

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Not a giant Asian mantis if you’re in the US. Your profile says you’re in Maryland so it’s likely a Tenodera sinensis. They can go about a year as an adult depending on feeding rate and temperature. Pics would help to ID.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Unless it happens to be somebody else's escapee, I have a suspicion it won't be a giant ASIAN mantis in Maryland ;)
no wings but any wing buds showing?
You'll normally get a few months out of an adult :)

chibicricket

Arachnopeon
I'm in Virginia, and we have the Chinese Mantis (Tenodera sinensis), so that's more likely what you have. I've raised them from nymphs before, and you'll get a year then, maybe 3-4 months after their molt to adulthood.

DreadMan

Arachnosquire
Im going on vacation soon, what should I do for it? The vacation is going to be for about three weeks and I dont have anyone to take care of it. Should I be concerned about food and water? I have quite a bit of things inside of its enclosure as in pill bugs and springtails, but do I need to do maintenance by hand as well?

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Im going on vacation soon, what should I do for it? The vacation is going to be for about three weeks and I dont have anyone to take care of it. Should I be concerned about food and water? I have quite a bit of things inside of its enclosure as in pill bugs and springtails, but do I need to do maintenance by hand as well?
Either take it with you or have someone take care of it.