Prey Size for Scorpions

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have had some Paruroctonus boreus for almost a year or so now and have been feeding them medium to large crickets that are of almost equal size as the scorpions themselves are. The scorpions have always been able to catch the big crickets and ate them voraciously. Recently however, I have been reading and have found that most people feed their scorpions much smaller prey items. I am just wondering if I am going overboard by feeding them such large crickets? What is the recommended prey size for a scorpion supposed to be? And this is a biggy, how often should I be feeding them? I usually just let some crickets run loose at any given time and they can feed when they like. And lastly, how often should I give them water? I used to provide them with a bottle cap with wet paper towel and noticed them drinking from it a few times. Lately I have been misting the scorpions almost every day and notice they only drink from the side of the tank rarely. How often should I mist them - if I should even be misting them? Thanks.

J

Last edited:

Arachno Kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Noice choice for a scorpion ;)

These guys are absolutely my favorite scorpions,due to the fact I had 12 last year. And their ability to sting with every prey item :). Dont worry about size for these guys they can take on full sized crickets. Just watch out when their molting, I assure you a cricket will try for it. Dont worry about overfeeding these guys are pigs on there own lol.

Watering, hmmmmmm. I dont leave water in , I usually put a water cap in for a day and then take it out after I have seen atleast 2 of them come and drink from it

by the by, may I ask what gender is it?

Last edited:

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have two that Iam pretty sure are the same sex, what that sex is, I do not know. They are fullgrown, so they don't molt anymore.

How many offspring will a female generally have?

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh and how do you give yours water? And what substrate do you keep them on? And how did it feel getting stung?

Arachno Kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well if they are females their pectins are HUGE, males are tiny compared to them. My female had around 18 last time sadly I lost them all. I give them a bottle cap full lol, and my thumb didnt feel to good after it got hit.

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The rule is half of their body thou some may eat bigger prey than them. just to be safe when you put a bigger prey make sure to check If they have eaten it already if not take it off so the prey won't eat your inverts. with the misting mist at least 1nce a week or the most convenient way is to put water dish with pebbles. feeding at least 2wice a week is good but not everyday unless you want them to grow really fast.

Your on the right track man! keep it up!

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I think they are both female then, because I would say their pectines are rather large, they stick out pretty far.

Is it a waste of time feeding pinhead crickets? Can a scorpion even catch them?

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it depends on the size of your scorpions dude.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
just go with small to medium crickets once a week, and dont worry about it...

Arachno Kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gah, Sorry I got my sexing wrong. The males pectins are bigger then the females, heh. And Vixvy is partially right females are a bit bigger in size and shape, males are skinny buggas.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just go with small to medium crickets once a week, and dont worry about it...
Don't worry about what?

Gah, Sorry I got my sexing wrong. The males pectins are bigger then the females, heh. And Vixvy is partially right females are a bit bigger in size and shape, males are skinny buggas.
Lol, well in that case I think they are both males then.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Don't worry about what?

Lol, well in that case I think they are both males then.
dont worry about the the food/size ratio too much, if your scorpion is hungry, he should be able to handle anything his size and smaller...

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with jason. They will take on anything bigger if they are hungry but take some precaution like checking it after an hour or so.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, well I have a bunch of "pinhead" sized crickets running around their tank and I haven't once seen them be able to catch such a small sized lunch. I am just wondering if they can even catch such a small item, and if I am wasting my time trying to feed them pinheads. It seems they definately prefer food items that are twice the size as they are!

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You've had them for a year and all is well, why try to fix something that doesn't appear to be broken?

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If its not broken, then how can I fix it?

Im simply just WONDERING about how others feed their scorpions, but it appears that there is only one other member with the type of scorpions that I have. Im thinking this is the reason I have been getting very vague answers.