Preventing Mycelium growth in enclosure

LinotheleLover

Arachnosquire
Hello, I have a C. lividus in a sterelite tub with ventilation; Ive measured relative humitidy down the burrow at 60-70% humidity, and yet I have problems dealing with mycelium proliferating through the substrate. I have done multiple sterilizations of the tub and complete substrate changes. I have added as many ventilation holes as possible without dropping the humidity too much for the T. I know its not harmful to the T, but it makes the hair on my arms stand up and gives me goosebumps. For some reason its extremely unsettling for me to look at. Is there a way to prevent its growth without affecting the Ts health?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Just forget about whole humidity thing. Dampen substrate by overflowing a water dish time to time would do.

LinotheleLover

Arachnosquire
Just forget about whole humidity thing. Dampen substrate by overflowing a water dish time to time would do.
I understand. I did it just to prove that my substrate wasn't saturated. I have lost my phone and I don't have another way to post pics at the moment.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mycelium cryptocurrency- you’ll be rich!

Increase ventilation is my suggestion.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Mold / mushroom is growing? Fine, it’s not a big deal.

Dry out substrates.

Substrates look too dry? Fine, it’s not a big deal either.

Refill a water dish.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I guess I have to be the weirdo to say more springtails. Ventilation as others have said is paramount. Springtails is the lazyman's game. Springtails, then more springtails.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, IM thinking of the only other option is to get a hole saw drill bit and screens
Ts chew through screen like butter- bad idea

Are you really going to give a convict that has tools the chance to leave??

LinotheleLover

Arachnosquire
I guess I have to be the weirdo to say more springtails. Ventilation as others have said is paramount. Springtails is the lazyman's game. Springtails, then more springtails.
Oh good I didn't think about that I have a colony already.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
More ventilation, less watering. You really only need the bottom layers damp (meaning if their burrow is 2" high running along the bottom of the container, you'll need to keep the bottom 2"-3" or so damp). The T's will move up or down in their burrow to find the right temp/humidity microclimate. You're goal should just be to provide them that moisture gradient for them to choose for themselves, not keep the entire sub perpetually damp.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Your issue if you are sterilizing other things as well as the tub is you are likely sterilizing too much and reducing nature bioactive competition. People think sterilization keeps things from growing but it just produces more desirable conditions for what is then cultured without other biotics . When I cultured fungi for pathology the only way you get them to grow clean is by first complete sterilization. Don’t sterilize anything, if your sterilizing cork don’t, if you’ve had a big mycelia grow out don’t sterilize the same one just get a new tub and use it as is. Soils and earth surfaces such as wood are naturally living biomes that are usually pretty balanced.

LinotheleLover

Arachnosquire
Your issue if you are sterilizing other things as well as the tub is you are likely sterilizing too much and reducing nature bioactive competition. People think sterilization keeps things from growing but it just produces more desirable conditions for what is then cultured without other biotics . When I cultured fungi for pathology the only way you get them to grow clean is by first complete sterilization. Don’t sterilize anything, if your sterilizing cork don’t, if you’ve had a big mycelia grow out don’t sterilize the same one just get a new tub and use it as is. Soils and earth surfaces such as wood are naturally living biomes that are usually pretty balanced.
Thank you for the reply, I see now. I wish I just wasnt so disgusted by the way mycelium looks.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you for the reply, I see now. I wish I just wasnt so disgusted by the way mycelium looks.
No problem!! , I’m the opposite mycelium is a beautiful thing to me, each their own! But yeah I think you’ll have less problems if you use things as is. Added on top, are you using coco-fiber by chance?

LinotheleLover

Arachnosquire
No problem!! , I’m the opposite mycelium is a beautiful thing to me, each their own! But yeah I think you’ll have less problems if you use things as is. Added on top, are you using coco-fiber by chance?
Yes I am

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
So coco fiber in general is on the more sterile side of substrates, so that may be compounding the problem with added sterilization, the air is full of fungi spores waiting to find a suitable place to germinate .

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I stopped using Coco fibre a long time ago due to mold issues, I'm sure it comes in loaded with all kinds of spores, or it's too sterile.I only use ProRep Spider Life, only slightly more expensive than similar amount of Coco fibre, and I've had no problems with it. Or make up your own with a mix of soil, sand, vermiculite and a little moss, or whatever you have available. Ordinary chemical free soil is about as good as you'll need.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Suhweet. Imma have to reference you and your patho/myco knowledge in the future. Only thing I would add is if you bring anything in from outside. Boil it to kill them nematodes...