Preventing bad molts.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Is there any way to lower the chance of getting bad molts, specifically in Theraphosa spp.? I'd assume upping the humidity would help.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Giving them the correct living conditions is the best thing you can do. There isn't much I know of that can help a molt go smoother.

Upping the humidity doesn't help with molting. That's a carryover idea from reptile keepers. To the best of my knowledge the exo still will harden at the same speed regardless of humidity. Otherwise Ts in wetter climates would take a lot longer to recover from a molt and they don't. Making sure your T has easy access to fresh water is the best thing you can do. That way they can hydrate before the molt and then again afterwards.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ive done nothing special for my T stirmi i got at 1.5", it molts great, just be sure to keep it in proper conditions. which isnt really any more than a Ephobopus or asian species.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Is there any way to lower the chance of getting bad molts, specifically in Theraphosa spp.? I'd assume upping the humidity would help.
Giving them the proper environment and ensuring they have access to water is all you can really do. Messing with humidity is often detrimental to many species so it would increase stress which indirectly would affect molting.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Once you find the right balance of humidity/ventilation you're all set. I was also worried about this before I bought my first Theraphosa's but truth is they haven't been all that fragile, I think all those molting issues may of been related to bad husbandry. Keep the sub moist and feed like there's no tomorrow...these guys are an awesome genus!

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I lost 8 out of 15 H. guttata. :(

I dont know about you guys in US but my neighbours washing machine work