preventing an egg sac

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So I decided I should get a wild caught G. Rosea. Call me crazy. I wanted something a little bigger without emptying the bank. So now I have this 5 inch female. How can I insure that she doesn't drop a sac ? I don't have room for thousands of slings, plus I'd never be able to make a profit off all that work.

Do I fill her up, and keep her warm to moult ? or keep her on a minimal diet till the next moult ? Any suggestions ?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Umm well they dont have 1000's more like low to mid 100's but anyway.

This is a new one to me lol. I don't think there is anything you can do. If she had a good mating and is gravid she may lay no matter what you do. If you are set on not having slings, ask around your area to see if someone wants to take the sac, if not then freeze it. Problem solved I guess. Still think it's weird your going to try to prevent a sac. :?

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Umm well they dont have 1000's more like low to mid 100's but anyway.
:?

I was under the impression that G rosea's had 1000-2000 eggs. 200-500 I could probably handle. I haven't bred anything yet, so starting with a huge sac might have been a bit overwhelming.

Shows what I know :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was under the impression that G rosea's had 1000-2000 eggs. 200-500 I could probably handle. I haven't bred anything yet, so starting with a huge sac might have been a bit overwhelming.

Shows what I know :)
i think the most i have ever heard was mid three hundreds

my girl made like ~120 or so.

these are probably one of the lowest maintenance species out there... i have babies that i only feed 3-4x a year ;)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agreed. Don't worry about it, some wc females lay sacks, but some don't. If she does lay a sack, put it in the for sale/trade section and give it to someone. I know lots of people, including me, who would happily take a G. rosea sack. I have 7 of them and I love them.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If she produces a viable sac for you, it's a sign that you are keeping her properly. You wouldn't want to do anything less. Aim for a happy and healthy T and worry about the rest when it comes. If it comes.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I decided I should get a wild caught G. Rosea. Call me crazy. I wanted something a little bigger without emptying the bank. So now I have this 5 inch female. How can I insure that she doesn't drop a sac ? I don't have room for thousands of slings, plus I'd never be able to make a profit off all that work.

Do I fill her up, and keep her warm to moult ? or keep her on a minimal diet till the next moult ? Any suggestions ?
Everything else is pretty much answered, but you're not crazy G.rosea is one of my favorite Ts and I think it is overrated by many! Thats why I have 3.:rolleyes:

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
don't worry

If she's anything like mine, she'll lay a sack and then eat it 2 days later. Ooops. No worries. Ha.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If she produces a viable sac for you, it's a sign that you are keeping her properly. You wouldn't want to do anything less. Aim for a happy and healthy T and worry about the rest when it comes. If it comes.
I guess I am doing something right : She laying a sack as I type this. What's the gestation period on these eggs ?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
About 35 days till eggs with legs, then an additional 60-80 days depending on temps before they are feeding slings.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:D {D Congrats! (Even if you aren't sure you want them, it's still exciting to hear about another happy mama T) {D :D

Corranthe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess I am doing something right : She laying a sack as I type this. What's the gestation period on these eggs ?
That is great! Congrats! I know you didn't think that you wanted them, but now that they are here, can you really say no to that little white ball?

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
About 35 days till eggs with legs, then an additional 60-80 days depending on temps before they are feeding slings.
Thanx Ryan

Do I need to make any changes to moisture of temp in the next 35 days ?

I guess I shouldn't feed till the egg hatch ?

Ryan, I've seen your post about coffee filters, plastic boxes, and wet paper towel as an incubator for the eggs with legs. I assume after 35 days I should put them in a similar set-up ? Ideally I'd like to put them in a vial before they start moving to fast. ( 2nd instar I think )

When can I put them into vials safely without having to deal with a massive scrambling round up ?

Any other advice ????