Prettier as slings...

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Am I the only one here who loves brown spiders? :(

I think build is just as important as color. I like big, stocky Ts. GBBs and Avics are cool and all, and I have some, so I don't discriminate, but I don't think it's just color that makes them beautiful.

That being said, I think a lot of slings are a lot prettier than their adult counterparts color-wise but not build-wise. My E. cyanognathus is much prettier color-wise as a sling but it's so awkward looking, all gangly legs and tiny face. I can't wait for it to grow, because even though it'll lose the pretty pink legs, it'll look like a spider and not an uncomfortable teenager.

Also, my A. geroldi is pretty boring looking now but someday she'll be a deep beautiful teal (if she ever molts, that is).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Am I the only one here who loves brown spiders? :(

I think build is just as important as color. I like big, stocky Ts.
You the only one? Joking? :kiss:

Long live the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her).

You wouldn't 'see' Chris LXXIX near too much a Theraphosidae that is just somewhat 'blue/purple/whatever' aside few exceptions like 0.1 H.lividum <--- I stick to old names :pompous:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Please refer back to post #36 for more wisdom.

Saying what you said, is like saying all Poki's look the same haha
I know lol... ur just mad bc your chances of owning a P. metallica are slim to none! HA

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Explain pls
i see some reptile keepers who go out and buy all the most colorful ones. P metallica Y diversipes C cyanopubescens etc.
i get the feeling they dont really appreciate tarantulas but are more into the "prettiest" ones for the wow factor.

kind of like me, as a arachnid guy, going out and buying a eyelash viper cause it looks cool. assuming its even legal where i am, i doubt i could properly care for it, im only interested in its colors, etc.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
i see some reptile keepers who go out and buy all the most colorful ones. P metallica Y diversipes C cyanopubescens etc.
i get the feeling they dont really appreciate tarantulas but are more into the "prettiest" ones for the wow factor.

kind of like me, as a arachnid guy, going out and buying a eyelash viper cause it looks cool. assuming its even legal where i am, i doubt i could properly care for it, im only interested in its colors, etc.
Ah, I see. Well the only pretty ones which I want are probably A. Metallica, C. Versicolor and if I was filthy rich, the P. Metallica. The usual fancy tarantulas like P. Murinus, H. Pulchripes, I. Mira, M. Balfouri, L. Violaceopes (which is available pretty cheap), C. cyanopubescens, Pamphos, all the Avics, all the blue spiders and the brightly colored ones which I didn't list don't do it for me. They're objectively beautiful spiders but I don't like them. Like I said, I don't like 90% of tarantulas; *prepares to run back to Myriapod subforum* they're fat and hairy with a boring flat carapace and I just don't get it, but there are exceptions. The spider with the best aesthetics IMO is a wolf spider. That is my holy grail spider and I can't seem to find it where I live. Anyway, the big brown Lasiodora Parahybana is the best tarantula of all time so all those keepers which you've described are just fooling themselves. :smug:

Edit: Hey I looked at your list and you seem to fit the bill more than I do. :smug: jk, jk

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ah, I see. Well the only pretty ones which I want are probably A. Metallica, C. Versicolor and if I was filthy rich, the P. Metallica. The usual fancy tarantulas like P. Murinus, H. Pulchripes, I. Mira, M. Balfouri, L. Violaceopes (which is available pretty cheap), C. cyanopubescens, Pamphos, all the Avics, all the blue spiders and the brightly colored ones which I didn't list don't do it for me. They're objectively beautiful spiders but I don't like them. Like I said, I don't like 90% of tarantulas; *prepares to run back to Myriapod subforum* they're fat and hairy with a boring flat carapace and I just don't get it, but there are exceptions. The spider with the best aesthetics IMO is a wolf spider. That is my holy grail spider and I can't seem to find it where I live. Anyway, the big brown Lasiodora Parahybana is the best tarantula of all time so all those keepers which you've described are just fooling themselves. :smug:

Edit: Hey I looked at your list and you seem to fit the bill more than I do. :smug: jk, jk
haha i was just saying that people that get into tarantulas and immediately buy all the pretty blue ones are people i think dont really appreciate tarantulas for what they are. i get it though, everyone has different interests.
id like to get more into centipedes but they seem much more difficult than tarantulas. and yes, color plays a factor when i buy my spiders, but i also keep plenty of the "boring" ones.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
haha i was just saying that people that get into tarantulas and immediately buy all the pretty blue ones are people i think dont really appreciate tarantulas for what they are. i get it though, everyone has different interests.
id like to get more into centipedes but they seem much more difficult than tarantulas. and yes, color plays a factor when i buy my spiders, but i also keep plenty of the "boring" ones.
Yeah, I get what you mean with those types of people.

That's funny because I feel like centipedes are way simpler to keep than tarantulas. They can't climb smooth or vertical surfaces so if you get a plastic container that's taller than the centipede's length (some recommend it to be twice it's length) it's literally escape-proof. They sure don't make me sweat as much as thinking about a lightning quick old world arboreal. :eek:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The spider with the best aesthetics IMO is a wolf spider. That is my holy grail spider and I can't seem to find it where I live.
In the Southern part of Italy we have the 'original sinner', ah ah: Lycosa tarantula.

There's other Italian keepers that have those. I live in the Northern part so isn't native here but I would love more a WC Scolopendra cingulata (amazing, native as well in Center/Southern Italy) rather than those :-s

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
In the Southern part of Italy we have the 'original sinner', ah ah: Lycosa tarantula.

There's other Italian keepers that have those. I live in the Northern part so isn't native here but I would love more a WC Scolopendra cingulata (amazing, native as well in Center/Southern Italy) rather than those :-s

Ah that's a beautiful species. You're lucky to have them there. All the wolf spiders I caught turned out to be misidentified grass spiders...
I got myself a juvenile cherry red centipede though. It's native to Malaysia so that's good. I'm still looking for the regular subspinipes and dehaani.